I've done wrong

worryingmore
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4807 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I've been claiming a benefit that I'm not sure I am entitled to. I have tried to sort it out and haven't been able to.

I have been paid some money, it's not an awful lot, but I feel terrible about it, and want to sort it out before it goes on any longer. I'm giving no excuses, I know that what I've done is wrong and I want to put it right as soon as I can.

Can anyone advise me how I should put this right, I really want to, I would do it now if i could, I'm scared of what will happen to me. It's making me feel ill, I truly want to do the right thing as I say, but I don't know how to do it.

I could stop the claim now i know, but that won't cover the time/money that I have had, and I really want to pay it all back.

If anyone can offer any advice I would be very grateful

thanks

Edited by worryingmore

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, how sure are you that you are not entitled? The benefit system can be confusing.

If you are 100% sure that you are not entitled, put it in writing to the office that pays your benefit. The address will be on any letters you have been sent about the benefits. Tell them how you know you are not entitled, when the change that disentitled you took effect, that you are remorseful and want to repay the money and would like to know how to go about it. They will likely send a visiting office to come and see you, or ask you to attend the local jobcentre so that everything can be gone over with you.

Without more detail we cannot advise whether further action would be taken against you or not.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

How much do you believe you have been paid that you feel you shouldnt have claimed?

Secondly its always best to ring them up and end any claim you know is fraudulant or not entitled to straight away, thats the first step to sorting it out.

Better advice will follow, but as nervous as you are, you will feel releived when sorted, so better to fess up as they say and be honest.

• Confused 1

thank you

the amount is between £350 to £380, and I have given them some information a couple of weeks ago , and i thought once they knew this, it would mean that i'm not entitled to it. But the lady said that it was ok. I have read the rules and it's not ok. What shall i do?

I have tried to put things right without implicating myself to the point of self destruction. I don't want to get myself in to extra trouble by saying something that might bring uneccessary trouble for me. But I don't want to leave things as they are, because I feel terrible about it. I would need to say that what I said before was not correct to sort it out properly, and I don't know how to do this.

I can't stop crying- i'm so worried that i'll be in a lot of trouble. What do you think will happen to me when I tell them? I know that it's my own fault, all i want to do is to put things right.

Do you think it would be better to write instead of calling.

thanks

Edited by worryingmore

How much do you believe you have been paid that you feel you shouldnt have claimed?

Secondly its always best to ring them up and end any claim you know is fraudulant or not entitled to straight away, thats the first step to sorting it out.

Better advice will follow, but as nervous as you are, you will feel releived when sorted, so better to fess up as they say and be honest.

I'm so frightened, I don't know how I can say that what I told them before, is in fact wrong, without implicating myself in to a really bad situation.

I really do want to do this, as I said, it's making me feel ill. I have NEVER done anything wrong before, and I will never do anything again. I feel ashamed of myself, and wish I hadn't done it. If i could turn the clock back, I would, truly. The worst part of this is that it's impacting on my children, and I will never forgive myself for this, I am a useless mother, they don't deserve this.

I'm suffering from depression, and have been feeling very anxious for a while, about anything and everything. I realise that this isn't an awful lot of money, but it's money I doubt that I should've had, so it's wrong, whatever the amount. I'm trying to hang on to the future and getting through this, wishing my life away i guess, in six months time i'll feel more settled may be. Sorry for the rant everyone, feeling desperate right now.

Edited by worryingmore

Seriously that is a low ammount. You have also said you are depressed, tell them that. Are you sure you are not entitled to any benefits at all, you could ring, go through your circumstances just in case anyhow.

Some have left it till owing thousands and thousands, you havnt and have hinted you were told it was okay first and then you found out yourself its not. Just tell them what happened and try not to worry for the rest of the weekend.

You could without giving personal info give a little more info as in are you working etc....and why you feel you are not entitled. You can also say what you were told in relation to your circumstances.

No one here judges but seriously though you do seem to have realised sooner than later that it needs sorting, which can only be praised. Dont worry, I know depression makes it easier said than done, I have it myself. But try not to worry and come back here if you need any help.

I can relate to where you're at at the moment. And it's an awful worry isn't it. It doesn't sound like yours is anywhere as serious as mine. If you have had more than you're entitled to they'll usually just get you to repay over some time. Mine is looking like lack of communication between me & them & me not reading letters & just assuming it's all been worked out right.

Could still be said that I should have paid more attention but if anything that's all I am guilty of. How they'll see it is another thing. They do seem like nice enough people that deal with these things, the lady I saw friday was anyway, & she said even the people that do the interviews at the office are nie people, so hopefully your place is the same & bear in mind how complex the way they work it all out atually is. Unless you work there you would be incredibly clever to know how it's all worked out imo.

And the amount of things they have to deal with like this is phenominal, especially if they haven't done reviews for years like my one hasn't. When she said they should ever year, they'll be inundated at the moment. I'm sure the majority haven't gone out their way to commit offense. It's usually ignorance tbh.

thank you

the amount is between £350 to £380, and I have given them some information a couple of weeks ago , and i thought once they knew this, it would mean that i'm not entitled to it. But the lady said that it was ok. I have read the rules and it's not ok.

That's the crux of matters. They don't tend to take matters further for the sake of £380 (which is nothing in the grand scheme of things). Prosecutions rarely go ahead when the overpayment is below £2000. An overpayment of £350 - £380 is very little to them.

Your second sentence indicates that you have already told them so they have been made aware, they say it's ok and are still paying you. Depending on what benefit it is, they might not even be able to claim it back based on the fact that you have already told them and they have failed to do anything about it.

Do you think it would be better to write instead of calling.

thanks

You probably should place what you told this woman in writing. Put on the times and dates and the name of people you spoke to, what they said to you about it and tell them you would like them to confirm what they told you over the phone in writing. Take the letter into a local office (Jobcentre if it's a DWP benefit, inland revenue if it's tax credit or council if it's housing or council tax benefit). Make sure that you are given a receipt. Also ask them to photocopy the letter, and sign and date the photocopy and give the copy to you so that you have further evidence of telling them about it. That way it lessens the possibility of your being accused of failing to declare whatever it it is you told them.

If it's not tax credits the liklihood of the phone conversation being audio recorded is slim. The local authority and DWP do record but randomly, not every call like HMRC tend to do. So in view of that, also make sure that you keep any phone records (if you don't get itemised billing ask for it for this particular period) to further cover yourself. If you can prove you made a call to them that day with phone records the onus then falls on them to disprove what you say the conversation was about.

If you want to pm me about this let me know and I'll open my facility for you

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

can i send a private message to you please, i hope you don't mind

thank you

If that is addressed at me, then of course if you think I can be of assistance.

Erika seems to know more than me so you would be better off pm'ing her.

Edited by Conniff

I can't really put the blame on them, although as I said I have tried to sort it out.

If you have contacted them to make an enquirey as to your elibibility of the benefit and they have confirmed it is ok, then it is there fault so you wont be twisting things.

If you could be a bit more open about which Benefit it is and why you think you shouldn't have received the money, then we might be able to offer more informed advice... but this is all very vague at the moment.

I'm not being deliberately close, i'm wary i guess

Edited by worryingmore

I've got the pm's and am reading them at the moment. I'll respond to you shortly

Your second sentence indicates that you have already told them so they have been made aware, they say it's ok and are still paying you. Depending on what benefit it is, they might not even be able to claim it back based on the fact that you have already told them and they have failed to do anything about it.

You probably should place what you told this woman in wrting

I also called back again and explained (once more), and this time the voice must've passed it on.

Edited by worryingmore

I've sent a response to you by PM.