Jump to content

esa and work


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Can someone answer this query i went off sick from a well paid job it took over a year to diagnose me with fibromyalgia when my company after the standard 26 weeks dropped my pay to half the DWP toldme i could claim esa contribution based which i did and at the time although on half pay i was still getting £800 a month from my company.My company have now dismissed me on ill health grounds so now I dont get any money other than esa and disability allowance but what i cant understand is when i was taking £800 they gave me esa but im lead to believe if i get another job that pays me £500 a month they will take it off me so where is my incentive to take any work that the limited capability for work meetings i have to attend are trying to get me !!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Contribution based esa is paid indefinately (until they change it next year), as long as you fulfill the criteria.


Contribution based jsa is only paid for 6 months.


Once you get into work, I believe that you can claim return to work payments of £40 a week for a year as long as you're working more than 16 hours a week and not earning more than £15,000 a year, and satisfy the qualifying periods.


There are permitted work rules which allow you to work less than 16 hours a week earning up to £95 a week for up to 52 weeks, and indefinately if part of the supported permitted work criteria. Of course with permitted work you can't do any work that would mean you no longer satisfy the descriptors that scored you your 15 points.

Link to post
Share on other sites



i think the problem is more about eligibility rather than income.


in order to be eligible for ESA you have to be incapable to work because of illness or disability, if you do take another job then you will no longer meet this criteria as you are working.


there may be other benefits you can claim in work though that may help such as tax credits, council tax relief. housing benefit perhaps.


hope this helps



The whole world is made of faith, trust and pixie dust :p

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies just shows what a cock up the benefit system is in even more of a laugh just had a council benefits guy at my home to access council tax apparently if you have moreb than £120 a week coming in you dont qualify they do not take into account any outgoins just incoming ..oh well lifes a bitch

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...