Talk Talk engineer charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've had an ongoing problem with my Talk Talk broadband since I've had it, it works fine (if a bit slow) then for no apparent reason the connection will drop, this will last anywhere from 10min to several hours. When I ring them up they go through the usual checks and then the connection comes back as if by magic despite them telling me their tests show no problems with the line.

This kept happening until recently when one of their operators suggested they send out an engineer to look at the problem from my end, I was told that this was free of charge unless they found a problem with the equipment in my home then their would be a charge of £29.99. I agreed at first but then cancelled the engineer and rung back to clarify the conditions of the visit in relation to being charged, my concern was as Talk Talk could not find any fault from their end when I rang them and that if the engineer could find no fault I would be charged. The operator told me that there would only be a charge if they find a fault with my equipment and for no other reason so I agreed to a visit.

The engineer came around yesterday and did his tests and told me I was really far away from the exchange and this could be the problem, he then fitted an NT2000 faceplate to my socket which instantly reduced errors in the signal and increased my signal from 1.5 to 2meg. I asked if their was a charge for this as surely my being far away from the exchange would make this an external issue and I would not be liable, I was told they "may charge" and it was a "grey area" and I would have to ring to dipute the charge if applied.

I rang this morning and found out they are going to charge me as the engineer has "done work at your property", I informed Talk Talk of my original conversation when I agreed to the visit and what I was told about the charges and that the engineer had told me it was a grey area, the guy I was speaking to simply kept telling me that I was liable because I'd had the NT2000 "fitted" by the engineer, it seemed to make no odds that this was fitted to cure a problem with the signal due to the distance from the exchange, as far as I can see this is clear cut, the signal is not as good as it should be by the time it reaches my house (their liability) and this NT2000 was fitted to cure this problem so as per my original agreement i have no faulty eqipment at my home and should not pay.

To add insult to injury the operator also told me I had singed to say I agreed to pay for the visit, the engineer had asked me a couple of questions such as was I happy with his arrival time and had he done the job in a tidy and timely fashion etc then asked me to sign a hand held touch screen device to say this was true, at no point did he mention I was singning to agree to pay and none of this info was on the screen where I singned.

I'm now diputing this with them and they are going to ring me back and let me know the result.

Thanks.

Edited by gpthit

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fault was on your property, i.e. your faceplate, so unfortunately you will be liable. If the fault was something to do with the exchnage or the line itself, then they cannot charge. I went down this route with BT but was lucky in that there was more than one fault and the line coming into the property was also faulty in addition to the socket.

The fault was on your property, i.e. your faceplate, so unfortunately you will be liable. If the fault was something to do with the exchnage or the line itself, then they cannot charge. I went down this route with BT but was lucky in that there was more than one fault and the line coming into the property was also faulty in addition to the socket.

This is the point, there was nothing wrong with the faceplate, this was removed and replaced with the NT2000 in order to inprove the quality of the broadband signal which was poor due to the distance from the exchange.

thanks.

True, but your original faceplate was not up to standard and the new one did improve the quality of your connection. You will find that a lot of charges are ambigious depending on the way it is phrased to you when you speak to them. If you told them to leave the original faceplate they probably woudl ahve still charged you. The other way to look at it, is that they never found any fault so they were entitled to charge. Although I understand where you are coming from, I really don't think you will be able to get around the charge.

True, but your original faceplate was not up to standard and the new one did improve the quality of your connection. You will find that a lot of charges are ambigious depending on the way it is phrased to you when you speak to them. If you told them to leave the original faceplate they probably woudl ahve still charged you. The other way to look at it, is that they never found any fault so they were entitled to charge. Although I understand where you are coming from, I really don't think you will be able to get around the charge.

The faceplate was up to standard, the broadband signal wasn't so therefore they fitted the new faceplate to remedy this. The problem was external but the remedy to this if you like was internal.

"The other way to look at it, is that they never found any fault so they were entitled to charge."

If you read my O.P. they stated that there would only be a charge if a fault was found with any of my equipment so they are not "entitled to charge" as far as I can see.

You don't work for Talk Talk by any chance do you?? ; )

Edited by gpthit

The rules on this are simple, before the master socket is their responsibility, after is yours. The faceplate is after.

HOWEVER I would pursue your argument to the hilt, follow their complaints procedure, and take this as far as their ADR (Otelo) if needs be, where it would cost TalkTalk for them to arbitrate your dispute. The trouble is, the ADR will find in TalkTalk's favor if you did go ask them to resolve your dispute. This is their complaints procedure taken from their "Code of practice"

If you are dissatisfied with TalkTalk’s service

How to make a complaint

If you are not happy about any aspect of our products, our services or our sales and marketing activities, then we want to hear from you. To make a complaint, please call us on 0870 444 1820 to speak to a customer advisor (please call 0870 087 2001 if you are elderly or disabled) or email us through www.talktalk.co.uk/contactus/. We usually find that any issues can be dealt with at this stage, but if you are not totally satisfied, you may ask for the matter to be referred to a team leader or manager for more help.

You can also contact us in writing at:

TalkTalk Telecom Limited

Customer Services

5 Portal Way

London

W3 6RT

Still not happy?

If you have made a complaint to us and you are not totally satisfied with our response, you can refer your complaint to a customer-liaison manager by writing to us at:

Customer Liaison Manager

Carphone Warehouse

PO Box 344 Unit 19 Southampton SO30 2NP

Resolving disputes

If you have concerns, you should always contact us first, and we will do our best to sort out any problems. However, if we can’t resolve your complaint satisfactorily, we will write to say so. This is sometimes called the “deadlock” letter. When you receive this letter or if more than 3 months has passed since you first raised the complaint with us, you have the right to refer your case to the Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman, Otelo for short. Otelo is an independent alternative dispute-resolution scheme which investigates customers’ complaints about telecoms services fairly and free of charge. TalkTalk is a member of Otelo and as such must respond to Otelo enquiries and accept its decision on complaints. Otelo will want to ensure that you have followed our complaints process before contacting it. If this is not obvious, Otelo is likely to refer the matter back to us for resolution. Otelo can give you further details. Contact details are as follows:

Otelo

PO Box 730

Warrington

WA4 6WU

Call: 0845 050 1614 or 01925 430 049

E-mail: [email protected]

P.S. I'd consider you are at the stage of writing to the "Customer Liaison Manager". Keep a copy of your letter. I'd recommend the letter being assertive, state something like "this is what I deem fair, if this is not acceptable by yourselves please issue me with a DEADLOCK letter."

P.P.S they say "...if more than 3 months has passed since you first raised the complaint with us..." Ofcom stated 8 weeks is enough time for them to resolve a complaint.

Keep us posted as to any headway you manage to make.

Edited by locutus

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I wholeheartedly agree surfer, IMO if TalkTalk dig their heels in, you will have to pay the engineers charge. The above is just how I'd deal with this (letter stating what I want to the liaison manager) but if they did send a DEADLOCK letter I'd pay up and move on. It's also worth stating that you should keep payments on your bill up to date, as adverse billing history will show on your credit file for 6 years!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

The rules on this are simple, before the master socket is their responsibility, after is yours. The faceplate is after.

I will be pursuing this as I see it as a matter of principle, they have admitted that the problem is the distance from the exchange causing a bad signal, there is nothing wrong with my original faceplate or socket. I will keep you posted as to where this goes although I don't hold out much hope of a refund.

Thanks.

I'm with you, i would follow this through to the bitter end.

I would've thought that they are obliged to do whatever it takes to give you the service you are paying for and if that means

fitting a new faceplate (at their expense) then so be it :wink:

I'm with you, i would follow this through to the bitter end.

I would've thought that they are obliged to do whatever it takes to give you the service you are paying for and if that means

fitting a new faceplate (at their expense) then so be it :wink:

Thanks, at least someone agrees with me!:-D

Guest naillig

I am having the same problems - dropped connection, email problems too and they said the same to me and i refused the visit as i was sure they would try and get some money from me one way or another !

I pay £18 just for the BB !!!!!

I also live a fair way from the exchange - maybe i should get someone to fit one of those faceplates for me (not Talktalk !!)

I am thinking of going to BT - they want £10 per month unlimited and it shoulsd be faster and more stable for half the price .

Also with iphone and ipad i cannot under any circumstances send email through Tiscali -i can receive them but not send any .

I have been on the phone to Vodafone and Apple to check i am set up properly and everything is !!!

Still not able to send any !

I also live a fair way from the exchange - maybe i should get someone to fit one of those faceplates for me (not Talktalk !!)

If you can wire up a plug, then it is easy to change the faceplate yourself as they come with instructions regarding the colour coding of the wiring.

I am having the same problems - dropped connection, email problems too and they said the same to me and i refused the visit as i was sure they would try and get some money from me one way or another !

I pay £18 just for the BB !!!!!

I am thinking of going to BT - they want £10 per month unlimited and it shoulsd be faster and more stable for half the price .

Also with iphone and ipad i cannot under any circumstances send email through Tiscali -i can receive them but not send any .

I have been on the phone to Vodafone and Apple to check i am set up properly and everything is !!!

Still not able to send any !

OK, I think you have put in the wrong SMTP server. Try changing that to smtp.talktalk.net and see if that allows you to send.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Guest naillig

Why would Talktalk work -when on my computer i can send and receive emails and my server is Tiscali for incoming and outgoing.

If i put Talktalk on my ipad and iphone it still wouldn''t work as its 2 different things conflicting , surely !!??

That would mean incoming mail from Tiscali and outgoing from Talktalk ?

Also after looking at my phone socket its not able to have a face plate fitted either -its around 12 years old but not got the line on it .

The "outgoing" server (STMP) needs to be the one your ISP provides. As TalkTalk are providing service I figured it's worth a try :) you have nothing to lose right? send yourself an email to test the settings.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

If you can wire up a plug, then it is easy to change the faceplate yourself as they come with instructions regarding the colour coding of the wiring.

The guy who came to my house didn't wire a thing, simply removed the two screws that hold the front of the BT socket in place then replaced it with the new front piece, hey presto £29.99 (increased to £59.99 since the beginning of Feb!).

Was worth a try. With it only being outgoing I thaught it may have been a server issue.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Bloody hell you could've saved yourself a fortune doing it yourself, i got my whole box ( i needed the whole thing as i only had the little old one )

for £6.35 off Ebay!!!

Just the front is about £4 :shock:

If I knew this was all he was going to do I would have done it myself, best thing is my connection has gone again yesterday! So please could anyone enlighten me as to what the hell am I paying for exactly? For a Talk Talk engineer to come to my house and attempt to fix a problem with the service that I pay them to provide?!:-x

And they haven't got back to me within the 48hrs they promised either.