BTEC v GCSE and academy status school

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4724 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OMG.... what a nightmare!!! :mad2:

Re. your comment about whether they're cretins, I have much the same thought where I work a lot of the time. The problem seems to stem from far too many people swanning about with fancy titles with salaries to match, who haven't got a clue what they're meant to be doing and don't communicate important info. properly anyway.

Having your emails returned is below the belt but keep copies of this. It may come in useful.

Have you put an official complaint in to the Governors? If not, you might want to consider it now.... something needs to be done before time runs out for your son re. his options...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, thanks yep I am going to make an official complaint asap. I got the phone call back from the teacher firstly stating he hadnt said son couldnt do any as levels, and then adding well they thought he couldnt cope. Told me kids were put on this btec who were felt below average in english and maths and I added at what point was the parent told or at what point were they involved? He agreed with me.

Told him not to right my son off yet and they said all will depend on his results. I feel the now demanding at least a B in gcse maths as disgusting as their own curriculum and the local colleges states a-c. I reminded him that I had had all of this out with the head and was he aware of it, to which he replied yes but she wasnt looking at his projceted results. I said it was mentioned in depth so that didnt wash and surely the heads statement counted. Got the impression they were putting everything in sons way they poss could.

He said they were considering putting him in for the gcse exam and I said stupid as it was obvious without intensive help, he wouldnt stand a chance and that any aptitude test should be general or at least let them prepare for a few weeks.

He said they were putting the schools kids as priority for the places and that the overall external input from kids from other schools was low, but I added I worried about that. He also told me this years tables with ofsted did count in the btecs and I was shocked as I thought the reason this school was the lowest in the county was because they had stopped counting them!!!!!!

I said the liasing with parents is disgusting, the messing around exhausting and he suggested he would speak again with my son tommorow.

I suspect they havnt got as much interest in the btec business studies as they want due to kids wanting to do as levels, so they are labelling kids competant or not prior to even sitting the exams. You see if they recent parents eve call to me had said they had concerns in any way I would have picked it up he wasnt coping, but in fact they said he was doing GREAT, passing his btec already and doing well in maths. So anotherwords advice is to be taken with pinch of salt if near a kids options.

I have said I will watch them as a hawk over my daughter as they are already putting them in for btec at college day release, son did construction, daughter wants to do sport/beauty therapy day release and I think thats fine. I did add if they put her or try to put her in btec science I will go bonkers. You see if a kid is average and just needs help to pass, some need more, some need less, surely thats what they are there for, rather than choose easier options robbing a possible talented kid capable of doing an as level.

So I have calmed down :) and will complain. I havnt been well and ended up at chemist being told the flu meds I was on were making my asthma worse not the other way around and then daughter needed a dish for cookery and I nearly collapsed in asdas. At least I got away sat on my bott why they helped my kids pack and safely home with two tonnes of loo roll for my cold and the overdue shop done. So been a busy day :)

I wonder how many other kids have been fobbed off. Son said his class were all not aware of the btec science not counting for as level, some were very upset!!!!!

Some luckily were doing gcses and sighed releif.

I have no doubt the school think me a pain in the rear, but then again, I dont care I have been polite all along:lol:

They do tend to direct under-performing kids towards BTECs because there's no exam involved and they can do coursework over and over until they pass it :roll:..... and not only are parents not informed; the kids aren't always given a choice as to which BTEC they get put in for. The more boisterous kids (normally boys) tend to be slotted in to Sport and the more gentle souls are steered elsewhere. I'm not sure if that happens all over but it certainly happens a lot....

It's all about results.... and the best way of achieving them for the school; to make the school look good. BTECs do count in the results tables..... and the more kids that pass = greater results for the school. It's much less of a gamble to put a kid in for BTEC than GCSE..... and academies love them for that very reason! Having said that, parents need to be realistic about what their child can achieve and if he/she is really not able to cope with a GCSE timetable, then it saves a lot of heartache to be honest about it.

If you're going to compain though, it has to be in writing all the way. Phone calls prove nothing....

Just to give you a piece of really useless information..... did you know that your nose only runs from one nostril at a time.... apparently?.... :lol:

As to the nose, that explains why one side is always blocked and the other akin to niagra falls:lol:

Well they told me they would see my son the following day and they didnt bother and due to me being so flued up Ive had to leave it for a while.

I agree what you say about some kiddies better in that cant cope with gcses, but they have told me they cant understand why he wasnt put in for them and then a general metion of kids with english and maths difficulties. I know what the true issue is, my son had mild dyslexia and was prommised support when diagnosed by them, some sort of test that took a couple of years, I feel rather than diagnose and give the extra support which costs money, they put him in for btecs, but and the big but, they kept us out of the descision.

So if a parents kids have dyslexia which entitles them to extra support, but doesnt mean they cant cope mentally with gcse, then they are labelled as behind in my opinion by this school. Son has no trouble reading, just is a little messy with the writing, but to be fair he has been overcomming this and only last week I was impressed by his improvement.

Dont get me wrong if during their school report call to me they had said, well my son is doing as best as can considering or not doing required level, something that would have flagged up a competancy issue and I would have been warned they didnt think him up to gcses a while ago, I would have thought maybe he was in the correct subject and fine. But each time they have said he is doing great and exceeding targets and going to get higher scores than set and let me believe he will do fine as in CCCC going to be BBBB equivalent gcse. Then telling me he is a bright and able boy who will go far and then told by the way you are right your recent research into btecs is correct!!!!!! So their reports of his capability didnt sit right with the course they chose for him added with his own teachers didnt understand why he was put in btec, but a higher school rep generalised kids with certain issues. So you are right, the teachers who know dont make the descisions best for child, as in they hinted he should have been put in for gcse, but higher up who count scores for report table.

Anyhow the parecetamol and flannels are starting to do their job, I got some sleep last night, yippee:lol:

Odd thing is I went into the pharmecist who knows me and was told for my condition asthma and neurological I was taking the wrong flu meds and it was making me worse. They took time to show me another way to use the inhalors and told me to up the dose in a way which started to work, but the odd thing is I got a call from my doctors the following day asking me to go in the same day, but to be honest I was feeling too rough to get off my bot so put it off. They tell me they will ring in a couple of days to get me in then. So either a concerned chemist has rung my doctors or someone who knows me and saw me lose my balance in the supermarket, oh the embaresment.

My last winge today is why oh why do we have to end up with the embaressing FAT LIPS (trout pout without the botox) and swollen nose that makes us look like we have walked into a bus:madgrin:when got the lurgey:lol::lol: Not to turn the tummy I resorted to sticking tissue up my nose to allow me enogh time to make a cuppa without holding a towel!!!! The door knocked and it was the postie, who funny enough gave me a funny look. I saw in the mirror and thought ooppps :)

Have to commend son again though, he has a version of the lurgey too, but has gone to school religiously, though not as bad as me of course, I deserve the constant cuddles and sympathy, he he he. Son said its wearing thin:)

Edited by watchinginvestigation2010
Not correcting my spelling due to flu, hahaha

Son tells me his class is mad about it. A kid applied for a part time job that required gcses, I presume when leaving school and he had attained (projected result) A star apparantly, the child was told underqualified as in no gcses. The parent apparantly is hopping mad and also ringing up the school.

Fancy finding out a stars is underqualified through school not telling us the whole truth, poor kid thinks he has four grade a gcses.

Just a quick reply tonight....as I am off out shortly....

Schools only get extra financial provision for Statemented students, so although he may have had a Learning Support Asst. in his class, she would not have been attached to him; which means that aside from popping across every so often (if that).... he'd be left to cope alone. LSAs are paid to support Statemented children because schools get the funding for Statemented children and can employ people from those funds. This means that these children are prioritised over and above anyone else with SEN.

If he's on the SEN register for dyslexia, then the Senco should have looked into getting coloured overlays for him to enable him to read text much easier. I think it's orange (from memory) but can't be certain.

Hope you get over that rotten cold soon.... :|

:-)

Son confirmed what I knew he has got sen status and had it in previous school to this also, I jsut think it was never acted on and just put off as to we will do dyslexia test at some point. They did say they didnt know why it had taken so long to do and it was me persisting then again to get it done, trouble is I previous to this just trusted them that he was getting support. I mean as hes got older he is described as mildly dyslexic and I am sure he will deal with it okay, but when it counted they did nothing and I feel just doled out the btec. Son adds he feels they judged him too early in his education, he came to the school prior to academy status from his previous school that ecnouraged him to use a keyboard rather than write, I didnt like this but agreed then when he went to new school they said they prefered to not use them and prefer writing to improve, that I was happy with. I took it from them then that they were regualry keeping an eye, turns out even till last year they had not clue as to his sen status and they did tell me they have no concerns over it and is improving greatly.

In fact I saw his writing last week and thought wow, all joined up, so much of an inprovement, but he did it himself the best way it turns out. They I mean I only assume put him down as incapable, but teacher who called me day before yesterday said they put kids who were struggling on the btecs, thing is they have robbed the kids of their potential. i do appreciate this is management part of schools and not the teachers who decided mass exodus to btec xx

He can read fine now and write much much better so it wouldnt have held him back with gcse, but again if they thought so they didnt invlove me or admit to even being aware of sen status. They at time prefered to hint the previous school before changed to academy status, but same school location of course hadnt passed this on.

I to be honest dont think this even came into it, other than if they didnt know of his sen status they might have considered his writing backward, yet they didnt pass any concerns to me or worries to me.

I think we just have to accept they let him and others down, but they can do so much now to put it write and all that needs to be is what they suggested themselves, aptitude test, dont make him sit a true gcse exam as they hinted again, but think past the box, they themselves say he is doing great then not great enough, hahahha.

By the way the so called teacher who wanted to see son again to reassure him the following day didnt bother yesterday or today, what a rotter eh? Example of say but not do again

Thanks for your input by the way xx

Son told today by a teacher that she feels considering his projected scores now that he was under valued as to his capabilities in year 8. She said he was capable of achieving grades a-c in his gcses. Of course has to be remembered she is probably not talking from the admins perspective and liased in anyway to the issue of him wanting his a levels, because I have no evidence of any of the teachers opinions being counted at descision level.

Sad as I alwasy thought it would be counted and the heads feedback as to how a child is doing.

Just that had two teachers over the two weeks saying how well he is doing and upping his potential.

Still no feedback regarding organisation of the apptitude test.

After half term I will have had time to calmly type official complaint to hand it xx

That is such a shame.... but I hope all is not lost for your son. There are other routes to success and although the BTEC wouldn't have been your first choice for him, I'm wondering if there's another way forward for him if he doesn't get onto the AS courses that you're after; perhaps college rather than 6th form? Perhaps an appt. to see one of the teachers who've given him glowing feedback might be able to help.

Just a thought... :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, left this for a little while as the school were supposedly looking into it re the competancy tests etc and heard nowt so receive call from the pa of the head yesterday asking me to let them know how we were getiing on and progressing since talking to her. I must admit I was a little flumoxed by it but politely informed them that no further in fact the reverse in that the sixth form gent suggested he knew more than the head did and didnt agree with the competancy tests and that a levels were not an option.

She was confused and said that was not what she expected to hear.

Today receive a belated pupil profile, remember the previous one had been for the wrong child and listed various needs that concerned me so much to ask why had they not informed me sooner things were so so bad. Told mistake and for the wrong child and to rip it up, then got the calls stating doing well and grade c here and there etc....

Any way as said this profile arrives and suddenly they go into detail as to my sons sen neees, first time on me.........remember I have been chasing them for two years to know my sons status and told all along looking into it, didnt realise their was an issue dyslexia wise and then told tested recently and found mildly dyslexic, but would cope fine.

This profile suddenly puts sons maths to d, although his teacher says c and well it speaks of a different child as in stratergies of support, one says dont overmark english errors, do not ask to copy from the board, avoid note taking and such and such. Bearing in mind that is exactly what they have had him doing and saying he is coping well. It lists reading problems and I know for a fact he reads fine comprehends it fine, just has handwriting issues that again are improving and inline with what told as mildly dyslexic but coping fine, this profile totally goes the other way.

Funny that when they realised the previous profile was not for my son and that there was little to worry about, that they didnt mention there would be similar support issues raised on his when it eventually came. They even reiterated he was doing great and apologised for the error. They had kept reiterating his mild dyslexia previously would not hold him back, now they list not pushing this and different board colors might help, WTF

Anyhow this profile I feel is deliberately trying to cover themselves as to another reason for saying no to a levels. But they have shot themselves in the foot in that I have contacted the sen dept of the council who say for his level he would have been entitled to ten hours special help a week and it would have been funded. I said no special help and despite me chasing it for two years it appears listed when we are fighting to do a levels. She said she had concerns and that I needed to see the head personally over the handling of my son.

Any how I have accepted they will for whaterver reason wether one of genuinely concerned he cant cope or one of cover up them not managing his welfare and abilities in school more to what he could do, or cover up the sen messup and the lack of support he got, but that in any case they will refuse him doing his a levels, and that any further effort if put in will be stressful and worthless and probably push my son away from further education all together, I have to be careful to be positive despite this.

So as suggested I rang the college and said what had happened, stated he had an sen rating and did they do gcses? Was told they did a one year gcse course which was normally done by children wanting to improve their grades but that my son could do that. They said we could go to the campus next monday and see them and they will go through his options and it sounded positive. They also when he got his exam grades would sit him down and reassured me they would put him in for the appropriate courses and that they would make sure he got the correct sen support as well if needed at all. He then even if got d for instance or c could attain a higher grade than he would have if left, so for one year it would be worth it and then he could be judged fairly on wether coping a level on his own proven merit.

So we will go moday.

I feel the academys management of this whole situation starting wth the lack of parent input or parent information re what courses chosen for my child has been disgusting. The constant chasing on the sen level and various conversations and forgoton need for testing on their part as didnt realise apparantly son had an issue has been unforgiveable. If he truly could not have coped with straight gcses after the head saying she didnt know why he wasnt put in for them, then they should have put it in plain english.

Your son will not cope with them to me. I would have known exactly where we stood and my son with my help would not have thought he could do a course out of his reach at the moment and got his hopes up too soon. The school feed false postive in their trying to talk positive on a childs progress, not bad on one respect but how when told your son is doing great and going to pass and going to get this and that and this btec is worth four gcses grade c, how is a parent to know any different?

The college has fairly said the btec does count for something and is a recodnised achievement, but and the big but is it counts not for a levels at this level and schools should be honest that certain options maybe out of a childs reach and they should be informed they could achieve other routes, in a way someone like me is not going to say hey my son wants to do his alevels, but then would have realised he was not ready fairly.

Anyhow he still wants to do them but I feel he would be supported better by the college than this academy who wont worry they have let a few down and probably just put it down to pushy parent despite us being misled. You see this academy is failing and the supposed better results expected after taking over from the other school has not happened, I feel that is not down to the kiddies but the management of the school. The kids and parents have to be kept informed and helped to achieve any improvement and until they do that, they will continue to fail in my view.

The kiddies were all asked a while ago which they prefered, the old school or the new academy.

The head was shocked when they answered in the majority, the old school. A school which was failing but they chose to big it up with a new academy that was worse, very very sad. Shows that some times the millions put in these new buildings could be put to better use, as in still academy maybe, but extra teachers, support and get the results that way.

Onother positive thing is my daughter is obviously with this school and I when it comes to her options will watch them like a hawk and will go into the school monday and put a written note to them that I expect to be kept informed fully re my daughter and that I do not approve of btec science and want her to do gcses and if she needs any help then to give it to her, as I have been informed by the sen dept of the council an sen status does not stop a kid doing gcse or a level if competant apart from disability, the school in fact gets extra money to give the extra help.

It shows in the end they can big things up all they like, but at the end of the day the results speak for themselves!!!!!!

My son will eventualy get there, but I suspect this school is not ready to learn by its mistakes, more that of a business just trying to manage an error without making it public, all hush hush, it will go away as in they hope and know full well what I now know, without the grades needed for a level my son has to go to college as they dont do full year gcse courses at sixth form, just the exam retake xx

You summed it up well with the comment "false positives". We are not allowed to put any negative comments on a school report at all. It all has to be positive.... In fact, this has become one of my most hated words. Some of the IEP's are laughable: "Use 3 positive comments a day to improve behaviour".

Yeah right....

Students prefer the truth.... and how can they possibly learn unless we give them that and encourage them to reflect upon their actions in light of it.

I hope your son does well on his next course and that he gets the right support this time. Their may have been all kinds of recommendations written down for him at the school where he's at now but that doesn't mean that anyone followed them. Sounds as if they were kept on file and are now being sent to you to appease you in some way.

Hi, son just told me they are putting him in for gcse science and just given him the books. I get the impression they are going to get him to sit the exam after all:-(

Son seem postive about it and told they will go through the sections, but to be honest I cant see how he will do it, other than get upset when gets failing result due to non studying it all in time. I said this to him and he said well they said I could do it again next year, concerning.

I thought part of the course was project work if that made sence which of course he wouldnt have done.

I do know that the kids have a sort of revising leave nearer the time of exams and would at least hope that due to him not having to sit exam in some courses that they could allocate help within school during this time, but do pigs fly?

Help too late I feel the exam is how many weeks away, not long anyhow and he has just picked up the books from a two year course!!!!!

Not quite the competancy test I was thinking of.

• 2 weeks later...

School is doing my head in.

Keep getting calls from the pa asking for update!!!!!!!!

In meantime son seems to be slowly being brainwashed to forget about the A levels despite head saying he could do them.

Received after phone call from interviewer of sixth form saying knew better than the head, a letter, that says my son is capable to 5 gcses grade A-C and as such listed plan of action with revision.

His teacher rang to say statement for benefit or teachers and not as bad as sounds in pupil profile and that son is doing fine and already passed his asdan award and btec.

This pa rings and I say refer to his teacher.

She rings back a week later and asks for update!!!!!!!

I say why is he being brainwashed and could the head give me a final descision as to wether they will support him in A level or not, as all the information received is contradicting.

Said she will get back to me:!: again :mad2:

I did ask them how did they consider the btec as a science award when it didnt even cover the basics of periodic table and chemical reactions and she said she didnt know it didnt cover it.

So treading water hoping he will be put in for A levels and get support from me to liase all the gcse bumf with the A level during holiday by getting all the books, but in reality having to accept they are probably going to let him down and say no, not being concerned they have let a kid down. Found out there are a few kids in the same situation, could this fobbing off and delay be a method of stopping all concerned from getting together?

I suspect so.

This pa is getting annoying :(

Just had a call from the schools head:

SON WILL BE DOING HIS A LEVELS IN SEPTEMBER AND WE WILL RECEIVE HIS OFFER LETTER OF A PLACE IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

Also daughter will be doing straight gcse's not btec as per my wishes when filled in the form relating to her options according to the head.

Well its now up to my kids, they have been given their chance :whoo:

Ive been so stressed out these last few weeks on a couple of issues, so have the lurgey again :violin:

Thanks for listening xx :)

Just told my son, he is over the moon and I especially remember the head telling me this afternoon he has been judged capapble of doing them, the confusion related to if he needs to improve on other subjects, he could retake them at the same time. Hey my son still moaned at making me a cuppa, cheak eh!!!!!

Edited by watchinginvestigation2011

Just had a call from the schools head:

SON WILL BE DOING HIS A LEVELS IN SEPTEMBER AND WE WILL RECEIVE HIS OFFER LETTER OF A PLACE IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

Also daughter will be doing straight gcse's not btec as per my wishes when filled in the form relating to her options according to the head.

Well its now up to my kids, they have been given their chance :whoo:

Ive been so stressed out these last few weeks on a couple of issues, so have the lurgey again :violin:

Thanks for listening xx :)

Just told my son, he is over the moon and I especially remember the head telling me this afternoon he has been judged capapble of doing them, the confusion related to if he needs to improve on other subjects, he could retake them at the same time. Hey my son still moaned at making me a cuppa, cheak eh!!!!!

I am so very pleased that everything's worked out well for all of you.... it must have been such a stressful time but the feeling when it all works out is indescribable....

Well done.....!!! :whoo:

You must be exhausted though..... get that lad of yours to put that kettle back on at once..... lol! :-)

• 1 month later...
Many kids these days are too much of a handful to keep in school for the whole day. Discipline went out of the window years ago and we now have a politically correct system which is ineffective and the kids know it. Kids that do go home are probably those that cause a great deal of disruption to lessons.... Parents often have no idea of the conditions we work in and a lot don't care. Little Johnny is just upset or has a "disorder". Most of these fancy disorders are in fact social anyway..... but medicalised through a range of spin that allows many parents to absolve themselves from any responsibility at all.

I've had a really bad day today.... can you tell?!.... lol!

Hi, I'm new here and registered after reading your post.

Firstly I strongly agree with your discipline and PC comments but find the later part regarding children with "disorders" a bit unfair.

Parents of genuinely diagnosed children some times (and even often depending where you live) get the impression that teachers are not convinced about the child's disability. Kids with high functioning aspergers or autism can appear to be normal most of the time, many kids don't have a diagnosis because their parents do not want the child labeled. With our son, we were offered the opportunity to refuse the diagnosis but we accepted it. I can understand it must be very frustrating for teachers with so many of today's students playing the system it would have to be easy to think it's just another child trying it on. But unfortunately for a few they are not trying it on, and the lack of patience sometimes shown can seriously affect the student ability to learn, far more than that of an unchallenged child.

Reading these posts, it's pleasing to see that teachers are as frustrated with the qualifications structure as many parents are.

It was a lot more straight forward years ago. At least I can find a more honest and less PC opinion about BTECs, ASDANs and GCSEs.

Thanks

wildbriz

Apologies for any offence... I was actually referring to ADHD, ODD and so on (social disorders). Kids are placed on the SEN register with these labels alongside those with Asperger's, autism, dyspraxia and so on and (in my experience) normally shoved in the same classes which is grossly unfair.

Hi priority, son is doing his exams and seems very positive so far and re taking his gcse science exams:-D

Hey... that's excellent!! Best of luck to him.... this can be such a stressful time for young people.

:-)

Apologies for any offence... I was actually referring to ADHD, ODD and so on (social disorders). Kids are placed on the SEN register with these labels alongside those with Asperger's, autism, dyspraxia and so on and (in my experience) normally shoved in the same classes which is grossly unfair.

Hi,

No offence taken at all, it must be difficult at times for teachers to deal with the mixture of challenged and unchallenged children in the classroom, especially if there is little or no support available.

As far as ADHD etc is concerned I don't know but there has been a massive increase in kids born (or at least diagnosed) with problems in many countries, especially with ASD. So unfortunately there is likely to be more special needs kids in classes in the future.

So daughter applies for her subjects to get list that is totally different.

She is put in for technology which she said she did not want to do

GCSE PE

GCSE Art and I have written to get confirmation that this is art and design as daughter chose design.

I email to check that she is doing triple gcse science and get a curt reply they will asses her ability to do science later on. Must admit I replied and told them she will do what I feel she is able to do as in dont put her in for btec, if she needs any help then provide it.

Daughter wants to be a doctor or nurse and loves science to bits, so not too fussed as long as does the basics, english, maths, triple science and history, but they were not even confirming she had got history.

So politely told them what I think of btecs and that any alterations from what chosen should come through me first.

I am suspicious they have put her for double science and thats where the technology lesson has appeared.

So dont think the careers guy will be to liking me:hail:

Do I care after what they did to my son and fobbing parents of they new best back then? NOPE:whoo:

My point why make such a big hoo haa over options when they put the kids in for whatever they see fit anyhow, waste of time, this momma is not for moving xx :) xx