ESA & Depression/Anxiety/Social Phobia

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4720 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I wonder if anyone that's been or is in the same situation as me out there would share with me?

I've suffered from depression/anxiety/social phobia for about 13 years. During that time I was in and out of jobs due to this until I settled in a job about 6 years ago where I could work from home which enabled me to cope with my condition whilst working. I then lost that job (which worsened my condition further) and so I was signed off sick by my doctor and entered into an ESA claim. I attended the medical and 'passed' it but was put into the 'work related activity group' and within a few days of being notified of this have been called to my local Job Centre for a 'work focussed interview' I understand I will need to attend 6 of these. The thing is I'm currently on the max dose of anti-depressant that I take along with sleeping tablets and valium and have undergone numerous rounds of counselling and seen about 4 Pdocs in the past to little or no effect but DWP seem to be under the false illusion that once I've undergone my next round of counselling I will be cured and ready to return to 'the office' I'm finding it pretty much impossible to find another work from home job and DWP putting the pressure on me like this is even worsening my condtion. I'm just not sure what to do or expect? :(

Any potential employer should offer you reasonable adjustments to your workplace. What kind of work are you looking for? It might be worth getting in touch with the Equality and Human Rights Commission (they joined forces with the Disability Rights Commission.) Are you on DLA as well?

England: 0845 604 6610

textphone 0845 604 6620

Scotland: 0845 604 5510

textphone 0845 604 5520

Wales: 0845 604 8810

textphone 0845 604 8820

[email protected]

Hi,

I did work for a telecoms co where I was maintaining the data in a set of their databases for them, producing reports on it (analysis) and addressing queries on it. I was able to do it all from home from a company laptop across a broadband connection using a VPN to access their network and majoritively worked out of an Outlook Inbox/Calendar with just the occasional conference call I needed to dial into. I would ideally like to find something similar but jobs like that seem almost impossible to find. I'd look at pretty much any job that would allow me to work from home if they at least attracted the minimum wage.

I think I may have incorrectly assumed DLA had been replaced by ESA. Am I wrong? Looking at the criteria for DLA I'm thinking I may be eligble to something with my difficulties interacting with other people? whereby if I do have to go out to do something I almost always need to take someone with me (eg unless I'm going to my girlfriend's or a relation's house that I know)

Would the organisation you mentioned be able to help/advise me in this regard?

I appreciate your reply.

Any potential employer should offer you reasonable adjustments to your workplace. What kind of work are you looking for? It might be worth getting in touch with the Equality and Human Rights Commission (they joined forces with the Disability Rights Commission.) Are you on DLA as well?

England: 0845 604 6610

textphone 0845 604 6620

Scotland: 0845 604 5510

textphone 0845 604 5520

Wales: 0845 604 8810

textphone 0845 604 8820

Hi,

Unfortnately I don't really have any hobbies or interests at the moment due to my illness and money being tight so I'm a bit stuck on this one.

I did have a go at buying/selling DVDs on Ebay but had to pull out in the end with a loss of about £100 as I couldn't afford to risk anymore of the little money I have. I guess the key to being a seller on Ebay is knowing which product sells well for a good profit and having a good supplier to work with the answers to which again I do not know.

Thanks for your reply.

Hi wood

Working from home is easier said then done. Have you got any hobbies or interests that you could turn into a business? It's better to do something you really enjoy doing.

ESA is replacing Incapacity Benefit I believe. I agree I think you may be able to claim DLA. Try to get a proper Welfare Rights Officer to fill it in or go to your Unemplyed Workers Centre. CAB also do it but I've not had good feedback about them but it depends on the worker. People tend to underplay their problems and experienced people know how to fill it in so get some one to assist you. Put everything down. You can download DLA forms so you check the questions first and make notes on your difficulties. The Equality and Human Rights people will assist you with your rights regarding employment. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm mystified.

I had my 2nd Pathways To Work interview with RBLI last week and was told that the programme was being closed down in April so they couldn't really do anything to help me. The leaflet mentioned conditioning programs, job brokers, job seeking help etc but in the end it all amounted to nothing :s :( Are the government just going to leave those with difficulties to get on with things on their own now and their only interventions will be to try and take your benefits away from you from time to time? :/

• 2 months later...

My husband has a lot wrong with him and has been told by various drs in the hospitals and his gp that he is unfit to go to work. He had an appointment sent to him by a jobcentre telling him he had to attend this work focused interview but if he couldnt attend to tell them . I did so and told them he is recovering from a stroke that he had 4 weeks prevously and had been in hospital for two weeks and I couldnt get him to the jobcentre. They insisted he still had to attend i pointed out that he couldnt,, I told him all the things wrong with him and about his mobilty being poor and he gets confused etc but they dont listen and said f he dont attend his ESA benefit would be cut. They were so unfeeling and inhuman. I complained to our key worker who I think is getting in contact with them, as we have endless letters to say he cannot posibly work again. He didnt ask to have all these things go wrong with him ,, he was always a good worker and active and never claimed anything in his younger days. Also we got told that he had been stopped a certain amount of money each week as they said it was for working tax credit which we dont get and they told me that they only can find records up to March this year and I said what about all the money before that and last year. They are getting it all looked at. ( I hope!) People dont listen and when you fill in the forms they ask the same question time and time again it makes you so mad when they dont read what you put down correctly.

Hello there. I'm so sorry you're going through this. You've come to the right place though, people here will help because it doesn't sound right at all.

Depending on what replies you get on this forum which I'm sure will be helpful, you might also consider posting on the Benefits forum at CAG to see what the experts there suggest you should do.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum