• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

swift advances charges help!!!!please

swansea osprey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4050 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi i hope someone can help i had taken out this secure loan in 2000 with swift advances

I received account statement for period 23 january2010 to 21 january 2011

amount of credit for loan £15.000.00

amout credit for ppp: £2.268.00

broker fee: £1.200.00

opening balance as at 22 jan 2010 £25.762.35

closing balance as at 21 jan 2011 £26.623.52

payments due £239.99

payment recieved £240.00

fees charged

interest £325.04 ect

i phoned swift today and asked why is my balance going up he said give him a few minutes he then told me i had charges on my account of £5000.00 thats why the interest is high so i need pay an extra £90.00 month i said why didnt anyone contact me to discuss it before he then said ill send you out statement of all the charges i know i been late in my payments because i was off work sick for while but dont know where the £5000.00 came from but if they contacted me before explaining the charges i could paid extra off the balance instead of it getting so high even if i pay the extra £90.00 its going to take ages to it off with that interest could i ask them to put the charges at the end of the loan im lost in what to do about it

thanks for any advice

Hi welcome to my world. I too have a swift con job. I have been paying off a 20k loan at 305.00 per month for 10 years, I asked for a settlement figure last year it was 48k. I have paid 24k still owe 20k. I still have 10 years to go and they say that they are going to add 10 years on at the end of the term for what reason I cannot understand. I have never been in arrears. I will be a pensioner at 76 and I think they just want to snaffle my home. I wish someone would blow up Arcadia house or at least hack thier systems and wipe us all off.

Hi GML,

It may help if you write to Swift and request an 'Actuarial Accrual Account Summary', which appears to be the nearest thing they produce that resembles a full statement account. Perhaps then you might be able see exactly what charges and interest Swift have added, and how they claim to have worked out the balance still outstanding.

Apollo18

hi thanks for your replys :-)i just recieved Accrual Account Summary the charges were very high ,when i was late paying they sent out 2 letters sometimes more @ £23.00 each 1 for me 1 for my wife and phone calls sometime a few @ £12.00 and other charges its all added up over 10 years . i phoned swift and asked if i can put charges to the end of the loan but they said some companies will do that but its not there policy they said only way to reduce the interest is to pay extra £100.00 month this will be a credit on my account and will start to reduce the interest.i have not got morgage on my home thats paid off im sorry i ever had a loan from them i never missed payments just late i even changed the payment dates with them but this did not make any difference.i said why didnt any 1 contact explaining the charges they said they won't chase me for extra payments because im paying the contacted amount if i didnt notice this at the end of the loan i could lost my house if i could'nt afford pay the outstanding amount it makes me :-x because i would not of minded being charged for phone call or letter explaining this. if i could reclaim all there rip off charges i be well of :lol:

Edited by swansea osprey

Hi welcome to my world. I too have a swift con job. I have been paying off a 20k loan at 305.00 per month for 10 years, I asked for a settlement figure last year it was 48k. I have paid 24k still owe 20k. I still have 10 years to go and they say that they are going to add 10 years on at the end of the term for what reason I cannot understand. I have never been in arrears. I will be a pensioner at 76 and I think they just want to snaffle my home. I wish someone would blow up Arcadia house or at least hack thier systems and wipe us all off.

im with you on that i wish someone will blow swift up they are glorified,legalised money lenders.:jaw:

Hi Swansea

This sadly is an all too familiar story with Swift. You should be heartened by the facts they are being Investigated by both the FSA & OFT. Make a "formal complaint" to Swift about the level of charges outlining exactly what you have written above. Make sure you write "formal complaint" in the heading - don't phone them, do this in writing. Send the letter special delivery. Copy the complaint to both the oft (David Blocksidge) and the FSA.

Also your PPI was probably mis-sold so send another formal complaint to your broker if they are still in business, if not go straight to the FSCS, ring them for forms. This will take time but is worth it in the end because you are probably entitled to get compensation. Read the Other Swift threads, you'll learn a lot. Swift's year end accounts state they have put millions aside for redress to customers. Good luck, SJ

• 2 weeks later...

I have also got problems with Swift and would love to hear from anyone who has been successful in making a claim against them.

Has anyone actually received a repayment of undisclosed commissions?

Has anyone actually received a refund of Swift's arrears charges or fees?

What is the best line of attack????

• 3 weeks later...

I requested a settlement figure last year and Swift provided one with charges added to it. I had never missed or been late with a payment, so I couldn't understand why there were charges to my account. There were charges for late payments, bounced DDs, letters at £23 each, and even a £23 charge for reading a letter sent by my solicitor to them lodging a complaint.

Last month I made a complaint through their website and received a letter saying that I was right and that the charges with interest would be reimbursed. I haven't had a statement yet to show that this has been done yet, but hopefully my account has been rectified.

Regards

socleirigh

Interesting to see you have PPP on the loan ? did the broker take a needs and requirements statement from you ? did they tell you that you had to take the PPI in order to get the loan ?

You might find this interesting too - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?284157-Swift-Advances.-Secured-Loan-Charges-reclaim-2/page9

And as for undisclosed commissions as I understand it from a solicitor that Swift have had claims against them to reclaim the undisclosed commissions - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?223150-Secret-undisclosed-commissions......

I think it was a High Court judge (HHJ Platts) sitting in a County Court which is probably where the uncertainty stems from. But I believe it's a County Court level decision in terms of how binding it is but is likely to be more persausive than a standard County Court level decision due to the seniority of the judge. It was cited extensively in Harrison & Harrison v Black Horse:-

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2010/3152.html

at paragraphs 58 to 63, Waksman reached a different decision but distinguished the case on the facts.

• 1 month later...

Hi Swansea Osprey

Now you have the information re the charges you need to write to the (preliminary letter) requesting the charges back. The OFT prepared guidelines re charges being applied to credit cards and made it clear that they expected banks and mortgage co's to follow suit by redusing chaarges to no more than £12.00. If they have charged you more than £12.00 you are lawfully entitled to have them refunded.

Believe me, Swift wont just roll over so brace yourself for a long journey and possibly Court.

In your info from Swift did you get a transaction history? It shos dates and times for all activit on your account (phone calls / letters / accout management). From that info you can see hat letter was written when and how long it took the employee to prform the task. Use that info in your letter. For E.G.

Date Time Employee Activiy

12th Never 9:05 john Smith Letter ref 12345

12th Never 9:07 john smith phone call to borrower..no answer

From this info you can see it took 2 mins to complete the letter 12345. If they have charged you £20 for this letter then it means the hourly rate would be £600. This gives you good argument as and when it comes to court as Swift do not need to earn £600 per hour from one client as their over heads do not equate to that.

Keep the thread updated....im happy to help!

• 1 year later...

Hi

Is that what it is called "Transaction History" All I got was a list of payments, fees & arrears. This would be interesting for me as they started litigation after I had agreed a repayment plan and quite clearly states in rules that should not enter into litigation in order to secure a repayment plan on the FSA website.

Hi 42man

Last night lol I asked them to send me a list of transactions and copy of any solicitor's bills as I would be contesting them too. Last night whilst reading them I noticed a letter from "Swift Legal Group" (ha ha) telling me I owed 593.00 and to "pay in full" It was only when I read the next letter telling me that they had now taken legal action I noticed it was £60.00 less than original 593.00?? Puzzled I looked at dates and it turned out 1st letter dated 11 Sept & 2nd letter 27th. They had added litigation costs on after this date. seems I had paid my normal payment + an extra £60 which I continued to do so. So in the background unbeknown to me they were preparing to take me to court for those arrears even tho' had started on a repayment plan. Hope I've got 'em by the short & curlies here!! If this is so I want all my litigation charges back....now!

Pam

Hi

Sorry I didn't make myself quite clear. They are not taking me to court now. This happened around 2008 and I only got docs last week. As I said I just noticed al of the above. My beef is that they slapped on a load of litigation charges which could have been avoided (ha do Swifts ever avoid charges on accounts!) and we had already agreed a repayment plan. Also they stated that they had no contact with me about arrears lol maybe weconducted discussions via a medium!

Hi again Pam56,

That is exactly what they did to me. They told me verbally that as we had agreed a payment plan due to a change in circumstances then there would be no legal action. However, the transactions later showed HUGE legal fees levied to my account. I have sent a £10 fee to request a tapescript of all phone conversations. This particular charge has been paid back but th overall problem which has never been fully redressed is the ongoing bullying and harrassment in this time period.

Hi adaeze

I hope when you sent them the £10 for taped conversations it was for everything else otherwise it will be a dear do at £10 a time. Anyway will give them something to do instead of hassling decent people!!Even if a charge has been paid back you can ask for it back like bank charges.I'm in a slightly less tricky situation as I have paid my loan but not the charges so I am going to negotiate a fair sum based on FSA quotes before I go down the legal route. Alsoif they have harrassed you that is illegal so report them to FSA or FOS etc. The more people who report them then hopefully they will lose their licence and not be able to continue their grubby buisness.