Changed the plug on a Microwave now store says no returns

axil23
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4829 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Basically the Microwave's plug didn't fit into the gap behind it so I had a electrician cut the wire and put a new plug on. Now 3 months on the microwave made a bang and let out smoke. Curry's say that they can't take it back as I have changed the plug on it.

What are my rights?

did the electrician leave any sort of test certificate?

if so use it to prove the fitting was not at fault

alternatively get an independent report to show what elements failed (from smoke and pop i would suggest control board, possibly a capacitor)

get him to write component failure on the report in big letters (currys cant read that well) and assert your rights under the sales of goods act

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

He didn't leave any test report but I am sure I can get one from him as he did it as a favor when he was working at my house at the same time. He might charge me for this now though.

If I get an Independent report to suggest that it was not the plug that caused it who pays for that? I am sure that will cost 40-50 quid when the microwave is worth 100.

unfortunately you are not entitled to a refund, they can see this as altering it from its original specification, you would struggle to prove it even with a report tbh, they can keep throwing it at you that you changed the plug from the manufacturers supplied one.

the line they will use is..."hes not entitled to a refund because he tried to repair it and caused damage"

sorry, but i think youve got no chance.

and to answer your question, if the report proves liability (which it cant possibly) then whoever was at fault would pay.

but any report you obtian will not be able to specifically apportion blame, he will say he fitted the plug correctly, however it is indeed the plug that transfers the power into the microwave, so how can you prove it didnt cause the problem? not trying to be argumentative, trying to set expectations more.