Fitness First // C.A.R.S

vander
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4829 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all - im a long time reader under an old alias - im hoping someone can help.

I have read numerous threads on the forums for FF and C.A.R.S, but struggling to determine what should be my course of action. Ill try and keep it short and sweet

I went into FF to cancel my membership in September 2010 so that I would give a months notice and October would be my final payment. They refused to cancel my membership until October on the grounds that would be the month prior to the end of my 12 month contract (joined November 2009). I thought this was a bit weird, but had a good rapport with this particular guy from the gym and agreed to come back in October.

I returned on the 4th October to cancel and they quickly processed the cancellation. They did not mention any final payment date, and left the section for any final payment on the carbon-copy cancellation form blank (I have this as proof). As I had paid for 12 months already I took this a sign that October was my final payment. I therefore instructed my bank to cancel my DD.

Now Im recieving letters, texts, and phonce calls from C.A.R.S asking for £72 (a month memebership was £40!) I have ignored everything so far, but feel I should address the issue.

What should be my steps going forward?

Ive read I should be sending a letter to C.A.R.S informing them that the account is in dispute? And then a letter to FF?

And also to log a complaint to consumer direct (which will get to tradin standards etc?) - not sure if this bit is relevant to me?

I have tried to follow links to template letters from other threads, but it keep redirecting to the main content page. If anyone can advise on where to grab a template letter that would be ace

Obviously Im not willing to pay up...

Thanks

Hi Vander and welcome (back) to CAG.

There aren't any template letters for gym m/ship issues although, given the number of complaints we're getting, perhaps we should put some together. In the meantime, read other threads for guidance and ask here if you're stuck.

It makes sense that, if you joined in November and wanted to cancel at the end of the year, you'd give notice of 30 days and October would be the last DD payment.

Unfortunately, FF and CARS think they can bully people into paying more plus their admin fees on top. But they don't reckon on their members finding help and support from CAG !

Write to CARS saying:-

I cancelled at the gym in good time and have paid the 12 months fees that I initially agreed to. Accordingly, I owe you no more and will refer any further demands to Consumer Direct and Trading Standards.

If you believe I still owe you anything, please provide a copy of the contract and cancellation document which prove what you say is owed.

In the meantime, you must recognise this matter to be in clear dispute and cannot make further demands for payment. Any such demands are in breach oif the OFT Debt Collection Guidelines and will be referred to the FOS for formal investigation.

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)