Whatever Happens/tech guys coverplan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3764 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just posting a warning. I purchased a PC a few years back and took out that "whatever happens" coverplan. I switched it on a couple days ago and it wouldn't budge, had a message that said "bootmgr is missing". I encountered the first problem - on ringing the number on my agreement, I found it was dud - the line was dead.Eventually got hold of a correct number. I was quite annoyed about that - happy to take the money every month from my account but too much trouble to update customers with new contact details.

Anyway, I was told that my hard drive is gone. I was advised to pop in the vista disk I got with my PC. I told them I didn't get a disk with my PC as vista was already installed on it when I bought it. I was then asked to use the recovery disk. I told the gent I didn't have such a disk, again informing him that no disks had come with the PC. He said this was the disk I made. Again, no idea what he was rabbiting on about and told him rather firmly (but politely) I have NO disks other than the microsoft office disks that I bought seperately. So, I was then told that to fix it, I had to buy a recovery disk off their website at £35 a pop which would take up to 28 working days to arrive. I asked why I had to pay more money given that I pay insurance monthly to cover such issues. I'm informed my cover doesn't extend to software. I couldn't tell the difference. If it's a hard drive, isn't that hardware? Apparently not - but as I say I haven't the foggiest, so thought that they were probably right.

I then researched online using this temp computer I have to discover that PC's come up with a message asking the user to create a recovery disk, and doesn't go away until the person clicks not to show the message again. Now, I am 100% confident my PC did not come up with any such message. Being computer illeterate, if such a message appeared, I'd have certainly heeded it and created the disk because I'd want to make sure I could recover things if something went wrong. I had plenty disks because I like to make slideshows.

So, I ask if I could purchase this disk elsewhere, like a PC shop given that the PC won't work and I can't get online to buy it. The answer is "no, we only sell it online" Hello! No computer, no online! Ok, I have the temp 'puter but they don't know that, and many people wouldn't be so lucky to have another - What kind of eejits sell a product that fixes a computer that won't switch on only on a website that you need a computer to get online to buy? Real genius.

The other thing is they say I'm not covered for software. Hmm. That isn't what my agreement says. It says "will I get software support?" answer - "yes". It does say I am not covered for recovery BUT that falls under the section relating to upgrading the PC/. My PC has never been upgraded therefore I should be covered, but they won't budge. So:

1. Watch out for dud numbers

2. Make sure that if your PC doesn't tell you to create a recovery disk and you are not given one when you buy that you follow it up. I know little about PC's. If I had known more, I'd have raised this when I first bought it.

3. In fact, forget it. Don' t bother with the policy - because even where your agreement says you are covered, they will argue that you're not and will not help.

I'm fuming that I have to pay £35 and wait 28 working days (28 days in itself wouldn't be so bad) to fix this thing. I am doing distsnce learning and need a PC with a DVD drive (this temp thing doesn't have a DVD drive) to undertake my studies. So it looks like I'm going to have to take credit to buy a new PC in order to continue my studies. My monthly payments have been a complete waste of money.

• Confused 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

its a well known thing with pcworld

just a warning it might be worth running some sort of hard drive test over it, it can also come up if the hdd is faulty the disks will NOT fix this

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I wouldn't know how to do such a test on it. I suppose if the disks don't work then their engineers might take a look.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

What error do you get when you turn on the computer?

What he is saying about "it being the hard drive" and then needing the disk being a software issue is just plain wrong - if the hard drive has gone faulty Software WILL NOT fix it. The disk they are trying to sell you is just an Operating System install CD.

Do you have any IT literate friends who could have a quick look?

I am not a lawyer - I'm an Engineer with an interest in law. Advice is given with out prejudice and is my opinion on the information I have been provided with based on my experience, understanding and interpritation of law. If you are in any doubt please seek the advice of a qualified and insured legal professional.

Victories:

Abbey (OH) - £680 ..... Barclaycard (OH) - £2200 ..... MBNA (OH) - £1800 ..... Shop Direct (OH) - £220

Brunell Franklin (a.k.a. Conkers) - Out of "contract" & no charge

:D

In Progress:

MBNA (OH) - PPI & bad default with premature termination

Capital One (OH) - ~£800 Penalty Charges

Suzuki Finance/Blackhorse (OH) - Commission, Unlawful removal, PPI, Charges

A Lightbulb Shop - "loss of bargain"

If i've helped, please feel free to hit the star ;)