Cancelling a contract early due to poor speeds and reliability? (Talk Talk)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4731 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have now had a Talk Talk internet connection (up to 8mbps) for about 5 months and have been regularly faced with the line dropping out randomly and also very poor connection speeds (usually about 1/8th - 1/16th of the advertised speed). Streaming a video online is near to impossible at ANY time of day and downloads are painfully slow.

Also, another key part of the problem is that if there is more than one device (laptop/pc/mobile etc) hooked up to the connection at once, the whole thing is crippled and functions at what seems like slower speeds than 56k dialup!

My question is whether I am able to cancel the contract early and move to another provider, on the grounds that Talk Talk are not providing the service they advertised to me?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

EssJayDee.

This is unfortunately well trodden ground, the "up to 8 meg" is basically anything up to 8 meg.

There are a couple of things you can try to get better speeds.

Do you use a telephone extension? If so, this adds a lot of resistance to the telephone line as it's lower quality cable than the ones used by BT and can significantly lower your speed.

Try plugging the router into a micro-filter, and straight into the master socket and only having only that 1 thing plugged in. See if that makes any improvement.

Google their "member forum" and see if the people on there can offer any assistance.

Have you had broadband with any other provider? What speeds did you receive then?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 1 month later...

You could try accessing the settings inside the router and change the ADSL mode to G.DMT, it won't improve your speed infact it will reduce you speed to around 4 - 8 meg but it will stabilize the connection on the line and stop dropouts.

However if you have ADSL problems with your current provider they are most likely to exist with a new ADSL provider.

Edited by nicolee2931
typo.

My question is whether I am able to cancel the contract early and move to another provider, on the grounds that Talk Talk are not providing the service they advertised to me?

It is a strict liability criminal offence to mislead the average consumer, so if that is the gist of your compliant the correct way forward is toward an eventual conviction of the offender. Short of that, you could rather be sued for defamation.

Alternatively, act in good faith; give them a chance to sort it out, as was previously suggested.

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to leave BT due to the same problems you having, rang they tech line and keep ringing when you have a problem, ask them what website there recommend to do speed tests, and do it and see what results you get, if you get the crap you getting now, then they cant say you not using a proper speed test.

Get screenshots and URL links for all speed tests. Create a diary of the problem and call them each time.

After doing this, tell them to terminate, not ask. You will get a good result.