style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3744 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi forum users,

I need forum experts or advisors to help me out. Firstly, Sorry for my poor english as english is my second language. I had an issue making payment with Vodafon. I signed an 18 month contract of an iphone 3GS in february 2010 and my payment is steady direct debit every month. I have paid till the 12 months and I am leaving Uk for long until if I grauduate on the July. I will no longer use Vodafone services till this month. I tried calling Vodafone and they told me I need to pay a cancellation fee which cost me £280.

Im leaving the UK this few days. They called me up today but i told them to extend my payment because I still need to pay much bills on my other expenses. I really do not have sufficient fund to pay them. My question is:

1) Will Vodafone chase my back to Malaysia? if so, can they ask my landlord regarding my home address? I did not give my home country address but my landlord do have it!

2) Can I re-enter back UK this July if I graduate? will customs officer hold me?

3) How will £280 affect my credit rating for future? If i am coming back Uk for a degree, will they hunt me and chase me?

4) For the future (incase i'll be back for masters degree), Can I still sign a mobile contract with other service provider?

I am really worried because I never faced this type of problems. Please help me!

I would like to thanks in advance for those who contribute in my issue.

Regards

Killer,

I can answer some of your questions from my own experience, until one of the CAG moderators comes along.

1) Will Vodafone chase my back to Malaysia? if so, can they ask my landlord regarding my home address? I did not give my home country address but my landlord do have it!

It is VERY unlikely that Vodafone will chase you down in Malaysia for a £280 debt. It is very expensive to chase debt overseas, and the small amount you owe will not justify the costs of doing so. So it doesn't really matter if they find out your address in Malaysia. They may send you a couple of bully "pay up" letters, but I doubt they would even do that.

2) Can I re-enter back UK this July if I graduate? will customs officer hold me?

You can certainly re-enter the UK without a problem. Debt is a civil matter, not a criminal matter, so this will have no impact on your ability to return.

3) How will £280 affect my credit rating for future? If i am coming back Uk for a degree, will they hunt me and chase me?

The £280 default may end up on your UK credit file, if in fact you have one. But you can always pay the debt later on, and this will be reflected as "settled in full" on your credit report. Vodafone (or a Debt Collector they sell the debt to) might chase you up once you come back to the UK, but that's only if they can find you (which you could make difficult for them).

4) For the future (incase i'll be back for masters degree), Can I still sign a mobile contract with other service provider?

If the Vodafone debt is reported on your credit file, you may have problems taking out another mobile contract when you return to the UK. But there are many pre-paid options available, so it shouldn't impact you too much.

Hope that helps.

W.

Killer,

I can answer some of your questions from my own experience, until one of the CAG moderators comes along.

It is VERY unlikely that Vodafone will chase you down in Malaysia for a £280 debt. It is very expensive to chase debt overseas, and the small amount you owe will not justify the costs of doing so. So it doesn't really matter if they find out your address in Malaysia. They may send you a couple of bully "pay up" letters, but I doubt they would even do that.

You can certainly re-enter the UK without a problem. Debt is a civil matter, not a criminal matter, so this will have no impact on your ability to return.

The £280 default may end up on your UK credit file, if in fact you have one. But you can always pay the debt later on, and this will be reflected as "settled in full" on your credit report. Vodafone (or a Debt Collector they sell the debt to) might chase you up once you come back to the UK, but that's only if they can find you (which you could make difficult for them).

If the Vodafone debt is reported on your credit file, you may have problems taking out another mobile contract when you return to the UK. But there are many pre-paid options available, so it shouldn't impact you too much.

Hope that helps.

W.

Thanks William for your reply and advise. Im worry is that they will keep sending letters to my home address which I would not like.

Secondly, will they keep phoning me if they knew my country telephone number? How much debt is consider very much for them to chase you abroad?

I need another advise. Do I need to close my bank account or I just leave it because if I have £100 will they take it by force from the bank (I already cancel my direct debit)? I left only £100 for emergency fund for traveling back to my country. Or should I re-draw all my money or close my account to be safe?

Thank W. Really appreciate for your help.

Anyone could contribute to my issue I would greatly appreciate and a big thanks

Killer,

"Im worry is that they will keep sending letters to my home address which I would not like."

I'm afraid there's not much you can do about that if they've got your home address. You can try marking all of the letters "Return to Sender" and perhaps they will give up if they think you've moved on or if you're just ignoring the letters.

"Secondly, will they keep phoning me if they knew my country telephone number? How much debt is consider very much for them to chase you abroad?"

I am being chased by a DCA in Australia (I live here in the U.K.) and they got ahold of my UK mobile phone number. They would call me once or twice per week, but the calls were easy to ignore because I could identify the country code from the caller ID. If you never answer the phone, or refuse to speak with them whenever they call, they will soon give up.

I'm not sure how much debt would justify them chasing you abroad, but the small amount that you owe certainly would NOT be cost-effective for them to chase. So I would not worry about it.

"I need another advise. Do I need to close my bank account or I just leave it because if I have £100 will they take it by force from the bank (I already cancel my direct debitlink3.gif)? I left only £100 for emergency fund for traveling back to my country. Or should I re-draw all my money or close my account to be safe?"

They cannot legally touch your bank account if you have cancelled your Direct Debit, and they would need a County Court Judgement (CCJ) in order to proceed with any collection activity. So I think your bank account is safe for the time being. There is a way to check online if you have any CCJ's against you ... you'll find it somewhere in the Overseas Debt Forums (I can't recall at the moment exactly how it's done). You should monitor the situation from overseas while you are away.

W.

Hi killer11,

As the service agreement you entered into was for a minimum period of eighteen months cancelling early would result in you being liable to pay an early cancellation fee.

This will be based on your monthly line rental charge without VAT which would then be multiplied by the number of months remaining of your minimum contractual commitment.

As you've now cancelled your Direct Debit Instruction we'll no longer be able to debit funds to cover your future monthly bills automatically as we have been previously able to and so future payments will need to be made manually either via cheque or over phone via a UK Debit or Credit Card.

In regard to your credit rating I can confirm that in the event that we receive no further payment from you then debt recovery action would commence. In the event that payment continued not to be made then at some point the account would be referred to a debt recovery agency for further action.

At this point we would then take action to record a default against your credit file which will inevitably affect your ability to obtain credit when you return to the UK.

However, if you'd like some further assistance with this you're welcome to email the account details across to me by following the steps in our pinned thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?213340-Vodafone-Webteam-for-Customers-With-Problems

Once you've sent it you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. To make sure it reaches us could you update the thread with this and I'll come back to you as soon as I can?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK