Getting a new computer - how do I transfer my Virgin Media connection?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4838 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am thinking of getting a new computer soon. I currently have broadband internet from Virgin Media. When I get the new computer, how do I transfer the internet connection to it? Is it just a matter of plugging my cable modem into the new computer via the Ethernet cable and I'll be recognised straight away as an existing customer? If so, then that is simple enough. Or will I need a CD to install the Virgin Media software on the new computer? I'm not sure if I've still got the CD that I used to install it on my current computer, so is there a way of installing it without a CD?

Yup, plug your new computer in via ethenet and it'll be striaght online.

P.S. if you want things transfering to your new computers, google "File and Setting Transfer wizard"

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

yep there are a couple of settings you'll need to input to get your email over

but DONT EVER use their or any other isp 'discs'

just bloatware that is not needed.

as stated the file transfer wizard thats on any vista/7 disc or that you can down load from the MS site

will do it for you.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for your answers. I don't use Virgin's email system, as I prefer to use webmail (Hotmail/Gmail), so that should be fine.

I'll have a look at the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard too. Up until now I've been backing up all my files and documents onto DVD+RW discs. My current computer uses Windows XP, but my new one will be Windows 7.

the disc by virmin dumps on more than email settings if thats what you mean above

if you've backed up then you dont need the F&STW

but i find it useful just incase you miss something

just do it too a penstick or ext HDD

that way you are sure its done.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If it all worked fine on your old PC then it should work fine on your new one, just unplug/re-plug both the modem and the router.

It is possible to re-set the router back to the original settings if you have problems, (assuming its the netgear one, there is a small switch at the back).

It is also possible to login to both the modem and the router to make advanced changes, however this isnt for noviuces but it useful if you want to change things like DHCP, DNS, Proxies, etc.

Andy