Toshiba Laptop from Staples faulty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Hope you wonderful peeps can help out with this one..

Bought my 13 year old daughter a laptop for Christmas 2009. Purchased on 23 December 2009.

Being a typical teenager, she spends most of her time in her room and it wasn't until end of November 2010 that my husband noticed when moving the laptop off the bed, that the end of the charger (original Toshiba charger) was red hot and on closer inspection saw to his alarm that the plug-in site and the surrounding casing of the laptop was melted and mishapen. He was obviously worried about fire hazard so took the laptop away and packed it up ready to return to Staples. When asked our daughter said it had been like that for "ages".

Due to us both working fulltime we finally got to staples on 7th December and after examining it, (a few keys missing and some scratches though general wear) they took the Laptop to send to Toshiba. Toshiba phoned mid December saying someone was going to take a look and they'd get back to us.

Had a phonecall from Staples today saying that Toshiba had emailed them to say the damage was caused by "Miss use" and the repair will cost £229.

I dont understand how they can say the charger overheating and the laptop melting can be caused by misuse?The laptop was less than 12 months old when returned and has an obvious, dangerous fault.

I know she hasn't been the most careful with the laptop and some keys were missing and some general scratches through wear and tear but that was not the reason i returned it!

Atm the laptop is still with Toshiba. Can anyone please advise?

ok please take this the way it is meant to read, i've been in the tronics and pc's for +35yrs.

it is not unreasonable to assume that when something fails to the extent that it starts to get hot and melt things

that the user would alert someone or you as a parent would be p'haps checking things sometimes and spot this.

toshiba PSU's are resonably hardy, i've never seen one do that, but if the connection to the pc is not supported when the lappy is moved, over time any psu would fray and do this.

and i'd say it would take quite a bit of bad usage to cause the wear'n'tear to this extent.

objectively also as its the low voltage end it would not be a fire hazard unless it came into contact with something that 'could' catch fire by the heat

but as the user manual would state things like dont use it on a bed, lap etc etc but with fair ventilation and on a hard surface with air flow this would not occur.

per i dont think you have any recourse and what they have said, in that its 'misuse' is fair and resonable,

not the least with standig the fact that it was allowed to progress to this state even after initial 'heat issue'.

someone should have spotted it and stopped using it sooner.

sadly i dont think psu's are covered in the warranty through misuse so the damage the 'heat' it has caused will not be either.

if the lappy still works i'd except it back, get a new or compatiable psu from maplins or ebay or cpc etc.

sorry my 2p

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...