Clamped Twice, Car Park Patrolled Without Freeholders Permission!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4844 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear All

I live in a block of flats (leasehold) with private parking. Some of the tenants decided to employ a clamping company to manage the car park. They did this without permission from the freeholder. I was twice clamped and had to pay £225 for release. It transpires that not only did the freeholder not give permission for a clamping company to be employed (as they were never asked), but that they have never given permission for the space to be used as a car park in the first place. So, my question, given that it is over a year since I was fined, can I write to the clamping company and ask for my money back on the basis that they never had a legal right to patrol the site as they had not been given the freeholders permission?

Regards

MSR

Of course you can write. You can also sue them. Whether you will get anywhere is another matter

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

moz-screenshot.png Ok it looks like I may have found the disappointing answer (see attached). So it seems that I can instruct a company to patrol Sainsbury’s car park, sign a contractor saying that I'm authorised (though I'm not) and they can go clamping and not be accountable. ‘Sorry M’Lud, but the claimant signed a contract saying he was authorised to appoint us to clamp on the Pal Mal’. Nice. Also, as it happens, my lease says that I am allowed to use the car park, so they've interfered with my right under my lease.

Parking.jpg

I assume that's a clause included in the clamper companies T&C's? They are just covering themselves by getting whoever employs them to confirm they are an agent of the Freeholder.

If you sue the clampers they are unlikely to pay and have few or no assets. But for them to defend they would need to reveal exactly who employed them and show the contract. Worse scenario is that they don't respond. Best scenario is that they defend and name the tenants so you can pursue them instead. That's assuming you can't find out who they are first.

Do you know who the tenants are that employed the clampers off their own back? You need to sue them as they will be easier to get money out of.