BBA - v FSA - PPI Judicial Review

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I too complained to NatWest, or RBS who deal with their insurance, last October. I received the same letter as you suggesting the 4 week and 8 week points. It is now March almost 5 months later and i have heard absolutely nothing, despite several follow up letters.

You should have sent after the eight weeks was up ideally.FOS may not take on the case because five months has elasped in which case get back onto both and set the wheels in motion again.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Martin, that is a long time to be waiting on them, natwest can be a pain though and they do not treat their customers good at all. You need to follow.

@jj69, Thanks for the advice, I will be sending out another letter if I do not hear from them within the time span of the 8 eights and at the same time I will also be sending out a letter to fos too.

I am also trying to find some more info on here about claiming bank and credit card charges and interest etc - should I just start a thread and hopefully I will get help that way? TIA :).

I have written to RBS 3 times since the 8 weeks was up requesting an update, to no avail. Their phone is never answered..... i passed this on to the FOS at the beginning of March, and they have acknowledged receipt. The point I am making is dont hold your breath waiting for a response from NatWest/RBS as they do not appear to be complying with their own complaints procedure.

@Martin, that is a long time to be waiting on them, natwest can be a pain though and they do not treat their customers good at all. You need to follow.

@jj69, Thanks for the advice, I will be sending out another letter if I do not hear from them within the time span of the 8 eights and at the same time I will also be sending out a letter to fos too.

I am also trying to find some more info on here about claiming bank and credit card charges and interest etc - should I just start a thread and hopefully I will get help that way? TIA :).

Yep start a new thread and go down the SAR route thats what I have been doing and sucessfully claimed charges on a number of loans...once you get the docs from where you are claiming tally up the charges and send that organisation a letter.

I found a firm letter detailing the actual charges with a grand total worked for me, basically stating that I thought the charges levied were unlawful and would like them refunded.Did not have to send any threat letters just got charges refunded so good luck.

Yep start a new thread and go down the SAR route thats what I have been doing and sucessfully claimed charges on a number of loans...once you get the docs from where you are claiming tally up the charges and send that organisation a letter.

I found a firm letter detailing the actual charges with a grand total worked for me, basically stating that I thought the charges levied were unlawful and would like them refunded.Did not have to send any threat letters just got charges refunded so good luck.

I have all the statements already, got them from the garden shed lol

My only issue is the type of letter to send, do you have a copy I could borrow? lol

Also can I just compile all the charges on an excel sheet and tatally up, what about interests on the charges etc. I have started a thread n it, I don't want to hijack this thread with all my questions. Maybe you could help me some in my thread please. TIA

You should have sent after the eight weeks was up ideally.FOS may not take on the case because five months has elasped in which case get back onto both and set the wheels in motion again.

I'm not aware of a maximum time that you can go to FOS, but you could just send them a final letter saying you're still waiting and if you haven't had a satisfactory response in the next 7 days you'll be contacting the FOS.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

High Court PPI case to end but refund struggle will go on

Judgment in the court case over complaints about payment protection insurance is expected shortly. But whatever the outcome, victims are still expected to face a struggle to get refunds.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1370275/High-Court-PPI-case-end-refund-struggle-on.html#ixzz1Hsb6Jy9M

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/press_rel/2011/march/pdf/13_11_PPI_CC_publishes_final_Order.pdf

13/11 24 March 2011

PPI—CC PUBLISHES FINAL ORDER

The Competition Commission (CC) has today published the final order detailing measures to introduce competition into the Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) market.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hmmm, I thought they said there wouldnt be any funding problems !

Cash crisis threat to Financial Services Ombudsman

The Financial Ombudsman Service could face a funding crisis unless the City watchdog, the Financial Services Authority, this week approves measures that will enable it to raise cash.

The FOS crunch arises from complaints over payment protection insurance, the loan cover sold by banks. PPI generates 70,000 FOS complaints a year - half its caseload. The problems have been intensified by litigation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1370217/Cash-crisis-threat-Financial-Services-Ombudsman.html#ixzz1Hsc5OUIu

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 3 weeks later...
Judgment will be handed down 10am Wednesday 20th April 2011.

Brilliant, thank you :)

BCOBS

go or no go i would assume...

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

go or no go i would assume...

dx

Maybe i've missed something, but I don't see how the judgement passed down would make any difference what way it went if the scenario of mis-sold PPI was due to someone being self-employed or someone being told it was a condition of getting a loan application approved that PPI must be purchased.

Any thoughts anyone?

Regards

Citybloke

The Banks are concerned that the FSA want to impose the new rules retrospectively and is the subject of the JR.

That rules that were not in existence at the time the original policy sales were made should not apply.

http://www.bba.org.uk/media/article/ppi-factsheet

The BBA claim that the JR is not just about PPI...

Maybe i've missed something, but I don't see how the judgement passed down would make any difference what way it went if the scenario of mis-sold PPI was due to someone being self-employed or someone being told it was a condition of getting a loan application approved that PPI must be purchased.

Any thoughts anyone?

Regards

Citybloke

citybloke, I think the JR was more about the BBA challenging the right of the FSA to impose new rules or apply them retrospectively , rather than whether or not they had to refund PPI premiums. The action of the banks in halting processing complaints was just a spiteful reaction IMHO.

BCOBS

citybloke, I think the JR was more about the BBA challenging the right of the FSA to impose new rules or apply them retrospectively , rather than whether or not they had to refund PPI premiums. The action of the banks in halting processing complaints was just a spiteful reaction IMHO.

Thanks CitizenB.....I think you're correct and the banks have just halted our claims out of spite/retaliation. They are just delaying the inevitiable, as there are a lot of people with legitimate claims for mis-sold PPI.

I wonder what the general feeling is with regards to taking PPI case to the FOS if the bank doesn't 'play ball' or going down the court action route?.....Whilst it's probably easier to deal with the FOS and less stressful, court action could be a quicker route, but may not be without stress as most people may not be comfortable doing this.

Cheers

Citybloke

http://citywire.co.uk/money/banks-v-fsa-ppi-compensation-ruling-expected-today/a487967

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13128692

Yes, excellent news.

I guess we now have to wait and see if the Banks will appeal :(

BCOBS

Good news and potentially great news if the banks don't appeal. We'll see in three weeks (or sooner)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Comment from the FOS...........

"The lack of co operation from some financial businesses has made it difficult to progress PPI cases since this legal challenge was launched. However, the clear-cut judgment means that banks and other financial businesses should now be in the position to deal promptly, efficiently and fairly with their customers' PPI complaints."

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Library/Communication/PR/2011/039.shtml

FSA/PN/039/2011

20 April 2011

We welcome the High Court’s dismissal of the British Bankers’ Association’s (BBA) and Nemo Personal Finance Limited’s (Nemo) legal challenge to our payment protection insurance (PPI) measures.

Our primary aim has always been to get proper redress, once and for all, for those with genuine complaints.

We believe this decision signals the end of years of poor complaint handling and will trigger a dramatic improvement in the way customers are treated when complaining.

There have been more than 1.5 million complaints made about PPI since the Financial Services Authority (FSA) took over regulation of it in 2005. On average, firms have rejected around 60% of the complaints made to them, but some rejected almost all of them. However, the vast majority of complaints referred to the Financial Ombudsman Service (the Ombudsman) are found in the consumer’s favour.

However this is not the end of the process: the BBA and Nemo may seek to appeal the court’s judgment.

The FSA has not put a waiver in place so firms must continue to deal with complaints where possible, including letting customers know they can refer their complaint to the Ombudsman if they are unable to progress it.

Failure to do so may result in Enforcement action.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

The banks gained a lot of confidence from the Supreme Court Judgement on bank charges, even the banks were surprised. It's only to be expected that they think they are right about everything.

Every Jim, Bob and Casper is going to start a thread on this subject, 20 by the end of the week.