• Tweets

• I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sky multiroom and telephone line - worried about engineer's remark.

ErikaPNP
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Finally have my sky fixed, and got multiroom installed. Just a query about something the engineer did. He appeared extremely stressed and kept whining about having no time because he had a lot of booked jobs and that he had to cancel a few already. One of the things he had "no time" for was to properly fit a cable to my main telephone line; i.e tidily tack it along the walls of my house.

So, to set up the sky box in the kids room, he had a line running from the bedroom, down the stairs, over the lower banister and across the hall floor (loosely) to plug it into my telephone line. I said to him I wasn't happy about that because it was a severe trip hazard in three places - I don't fancy me or my kids taking a tumble down the stairs.

He said not to worry about it because once he'd installed it, he'd unplug that line and I could put it away behind the TV, and I'd only ever need to plug it back in if sky asked questions. He said as long as the line from the box in my living room remained plugged in (which isn't a problem as it's neatly installed), it wouldn't be an issue.

I don't know but that doesn't sit right with me, particulary as he mentioned Sky "asking questions". I didn't have it plugged in when I had the one Sky box, but I hear for multiroom that both the boxes need to be plugged in at all times.

Can someone please clarify - is he taking me for a ride? I don't want to end up with either the kids losing their viewing or me being slapped with charges because he had accepted more jobs than he could cope with and as a result, didn't have the time to fit the telephone line properly. If he is trying to pull a fast one, what should I do? Phone Sky and tell them?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

you signed a contracct with sky and as a result they have to honour their part of the contract

it is unexceptable that you have wires hanging loose with kids, do your own risk assesmant and call sky back.

be polite to begin with but use the stick of breach of contract and request an engineer to come back and do the job to your satisfaction.

i believe sky sub contract installs

does not ell-enn work for sky

send her a pm

does not ell-enn work for sky

send her a pm

Could be IdaInFife :wink:

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

We don't have our second box plugged into a phone, and that's a multi-room subscription.

Just means i can't go interactive but that doesn't bother me.

They only use it to check up on how you use it in case you've had box office movies, pay per view

sports etc and they would go through your main box anyway so i wouldn't worry bout that part of it

However if you are worried that someone has not done a job that they have been paid to do

(and phonelines aren't part of the installation unless you've paid extra for it) then get them back in to

do the job properly

We had exactly the same thing happen with us regarding a straight forward installation. The guy slung the cable over the apex of the roof, tacked it onto the wall with some cheap cable staples. I took pictures of the work and sent them to a sky email address i got off CAG complaining about poor workmanship and insisted I would only accept a fully trained engineer employed by Sky to resolve the issue.

I got contacted by Sky within 24 hours and one of their engineers came around who stated that he had never seen such shoddy workmanship. He re-routed the cable through the ceiling without the need to staple down the cable. Also had to adjust the dish due to signal not being maximum strength. Sky then gave us 3 months free subscription.

I thought it was so sky could keep eye on where other box and sky card were cos you colld pay multiroom and then set it up in someone elses house.

See - that's what I have heard, and is what worries me. It's unplugged at the moment - he took it out before he left, as it couldn't be left the way it was, it was downright dangerous. It was agreed over the phone, and I was informed that I'd need a phone line for the installation; I advised the gent at the time there was no phone line in the bedroom and he said that the engineer would see to all of that - but he hasn't! I don't need a new socket installed, just needed the cables fitted properly.

So I'm not sure if it is just that I need the line for installation only or if what I have heard is correct.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

tHE GUY THAT FITTED MINE SAID BOTH BOXES NEEDED PHONE LINE COS I COULD TAKE ONE BOX AND ONE CARD UP THE ROAD AND SHARE COST OF MULTIROOM WHICH IS A LOT LESS THAN TWO SUBSCRIPTIONS AND TO STOP THIS HAPPENING SKY COULD MONITOR IT BY HAVING BOTH BOXES PLUGGED IN TO TELEPHONE LINE. I HAVE HEARD OTHERS SAY THIS IS NOT RIGHT . BUT I THINK THAT MAKES SENSE OTHER WISE ITS OPEN TO ABUSE.

I've got multiroom and the box in my son's bedroom hasn't been plugged into the phone line since the day after it was installed - 3 years ago! (only because the phone point is on the wrong side of the bedroom) Sky have never asked about it :)

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I've found terms and conditions on the back of the letter they sent with my new viewing card; it says both lines have to be connected. So rang Sky about it and spoke to a lovely lady who is absolutely horrified at what the engineer did. I informed her that when I agreed to the multiroom, I made clear on the phone when the telephone line was mentioned, that my children's room did not have a phone socket and was told that the engineer would see to all of that for me.

The woman I spoke to just now has advised that they (Sky) do monthly call backs from the box to check that it is installed in my home - she exlpained that it's basically a measure to stop fraud because multiroom get discounted subscriptions, but if the box isn't connected it could be the case that someone else is using it and getting a full sub for next to nothing. If a call back is done and it's found that my box isn't connected, they can either terminate my multiroom with 7 days notice or charge me full subs for both boxes (eek!).

She said it's unacceptable what the engineer did and that he should never have left me in that position. She's contacting the engineer's team manager about it, and will arrange for another engineer to finish the job properly. She's going to give me a ring back with a date for this to be done. I explained that due to work I cannot be home during the day except weekends so she said she'll place a note on my account about the problem so that if they do a call back, they'll see that I haven't deliberately removed the line from the socket.

She was an absolute star.

there a quite a few threads in here about the extra charges:

for multiroom:

sky send a message to all your viewing cards once a month via the phone line - if the viewing card does not respond i.e. if line is not connected then with the terms and conditions of multiroom you argree to pay the full price of subs for EACH box.

so yes Erika it was better to get it sorted now than later.

sometimes the system can delay in picking up missed callbacks from your viewing cards but they eventually will catch up

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Thank you Ida. I've had Sky back on the phone. The lady said the engineers company would call me directly, which they now have - they'll have an engineer round tomorrow. I felt a bit awkward raising it, because in doing so it meant that I dropped the engineer right in the deep stuff. I don't like doing that to people.

Five stars to Sky, though - the lady I spoke to was so helpful, and not only that but she had a really pleasant manner about her. She was genuine, not robotic like so many other companies are.

The engineer's company were not so customer focussed when they phoned. They weren't rude or anything, but I could almost picture her rolling her eyes as she was talking to me - if you see what I mean! Perhaps the Sky lady could give her a few tips on communication :wink:

• 5 months later...

Great to see you got sorted out so easily ErikaPNP. Nice to see you again postggi hows the knees?

Perhaps you can answer a question for me Postggi. I have had sky since 2001 only in the main room. 2 years ago my son wanted sky in his room. I relented and phoned sky they sent an engineer put in a box for him. We did have a telephone line to it but not trusting my kids to rack up a bill with the interactive services I removed it.

I noticed last month that since March i have been charged £104.00 instead of usual payment to them of £62.25. I rang them to ask why and was told my sky boxes where not connected to a telephone. So i went out brought new extentions and new connectors for the boxes and rang again and they checked they were connected. They did say they had sent me 3 warning letters since January which I have never recieved. (don't know where they sending them but it's not here)

They told me they would fully refund me. Great. Checked this months statement and once again they have overcharged me. I rang yesterday and they say phone lines are still coming up not connected. They going to ping them again I am to ring them sometime this evening. Think this may be because we have a withheld number which apparently causes a problem.

My question to you postggi is this. I have never have had a multiroom contract just the engineer coming to fit box and put new cable to satalitte. In my contract that I do have from 2001 it states. Telephone line to be connected to the sky box for 12 month period. The only communication I have had off sky through the post was the additional sky card for the new box in 2009.

If I have never had a new contract and we have had the new multi room box for 2 years + now then they can not overcharge me because I haven't broken my contract and I am entitled to take out the telephone line from the back of the box as the 12 month period is over.

What do you think Postggi I know you are a wizz with contractual law your thoughts will be greatly appreiciated.

Hi Zodiac,

you do have a multiroom contract - the viewing card for the multirrom box was attached to the terms and conditions and when you insert and activate the card you agree to them.

This contract stiputlates that ALL boxes must be plugged in to receive the multiroom discount.

If it due to witheld number then you need to add prefix of 1470 into your telephone settings on the boxes.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

The viewing card was on a piece of carboard and only had instructions how to insert it and activate it. Which the engineer did when he fitted the box. There were no t&c with it at all and certainly no contract which I had to sign and send back. So therefore I would say the original 2001 and one and only contract is the lawful contract.

This aside it just annoys me so much how Sky have such a monopoly and the billions the company earn their customer service and communication is (french word here ).Besides the multi room I haven't had any communiction from them since 2003. I am glad I don't run my business like them I would be bankrupt by now. For people who live in the sticks such as myself we have no choice but to use their service. Free view is useless to us even with the most up to date box and ariel we can only recieve 10 channels and dab radio well that's a joke 4 stations and one of them is bird song! Luckily I can get many on sky to listen to whilst I do my ironing.

Sky do not send out cardboard, they have always sent out cards with the activation details but the multiroom ones also have the t and c's on them. Sky do not use written contracts that need signed and haven't done so for quite some years. It's all about the viewing being attached to the activation letter and t and c's and your acceptance of them activating the card.