• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

judi24 v Yorkshire Bank **settled**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6335 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am looking for some advice please!

I know this sound a bit dim but could someone please tell me which charges I can claim for exactly. I recieved my statements today (has taken about 2 weeks to come through)

Is it only the returned DD charges and bounced cheque charges or is it all the exceeding OD charges as well - they give you 14 days notice of a £20-25 pound cahrge for exceeding the OD an the month. What about all the unorthorised OD daily charges - these range from £4-8 pounds. Are these classed as acceptable?

I'm really confused about which charges I can actually claim back.

• Haha 1

Yorkshire Bank: Claim for £4777.85! :o MCOL sent 03/10/06

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks zebbydog. I just wasn't sure about these day rate charges cos of the amount. But in some respects these are the most excessive cos if you don't check your account everyday a few days of these really mount up.

Its going to take me hours to add them all up. My OH and I have four YB accounts!

Thanks zebbydog. I just wasn't sure about these day rate charges cos of the amount. But in some respects these are the most excessive cos if you don't check your account everyday a few days of these really mount up.

Its going to take me hours to add them all up. My OH and I have four YB accounts!

Go get em girl:-D

;) If this helps please click the scales bottom left

Ok I'm in complete shock - I have spent the evening putting my cahrges on 4 our accounts onto spreadsheets - They total £4314!!!!

Has anyone else had experience of claiming this amount?

I am very aprehensive about this - it seems such a huge amount. I'm not sure I have the nerve to folllow this through - they are not going to give in easily for this amount are they?

This amount £4314 does not incluse the debit interest. What is this and should I calim for this too. I don't want to push it but at the same time I don't want them to think I don't know what i'm entitled to and don't know what I'm doing - which obviously I don't - but will with the help of this site!

Printed off request for payment tonight - total of £4314 in charges and £463.81 in debit interest Grand total of £4777.81!!!

Judi24 V Yorkshire Bank Let battle commence!

it's not the 8% interest on the charges themselves. It's the debit interest that they apply to the account each month If i'm overdrawn. I ahve asked for advice on this on this thread and the MSE thread and everyone has said to cliam for them.

I hope i've done the right thing cos the letter went today!

I'm really not very good at stuff like this. I'm trying to get my head round it all and take advice from wherever I can get it. I've read the FAQ's but it didn't make clear which charges I could claim for. We seem tohave a huge amount of charges. They are from 3 different acounts. Looking at them there are some statements that show over £200 pounds in charges in one month simply by not having enough money in the account to pay one dd.

I can't believe we've paid this amount and just accepted it as part of the banking service.

I'm pleased that we have got it together to claim them back but I'm a bit aprehensive cos a really feel a bit worried about not knowing my way round the system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i expect we have long and colourful fight on our hands.

Everyone elses threads are so helpful so i'll keep reading.

This is happening very fast! Sent letter requesting payment on monday. Got a letter back today!!

I think it's a fairly standard reply saying that we entered a contract with the bank and agreed to pay the charges outlined in the terms and conditions. Saying that if we are not happy to take up a complaint with the financial ombudsman etc.

I take it from what I've read on these posts anf the FAQ's that I can move onto the LBA stage. Is this correct? I don't have to wait the 14 days?

Also this letter came from my branch manager. Do I send the LBA to her or to head office? Any advice would be great.

Sorry to be dim again but are people putting this bit on thier LBA or not?

Furthermore, I shall submit a Consumer Credit Act 1974 complaint to the OFT upon the basis that you have failed to comply with the OFT's direction of 5 April 2006 and are therefore not a 'fit and proper person' to hold a consumer credit licence under the 1974 Act. If you do not understand what this means then seek advice from your legal department.

And are people intending to do this?

LBA gone today. Now a bit worried that YB will close our accounts and take my wages at the end of the month. Does this happen often? I didn't want to cahnge to my other account till next month cos i'm changing jobs next month and didn't want to change wages over for one month. Any advice?

My OH got a phone call today from YB on his mobile. He didn't answer cos he was in the pub! I wonder what it was about. they would have got our LBA today! No doubt we will soon find out!

Hi Judi. You seem to be doing fine so far. I am claiming over £4,000 too and you are quite right to claim the interest you have had to pay on the overdraft charges, and when you come to do a moneyclaim, you can claim the s69 (8%)interest too.

It is quite scary to begin with, but you will find that you gain confidence as you go along, especially if you keep reading. If YB phone again and it is about this matter, don't get into any conversations with them in case they try to bamboozle you or fob you off. Just ask them to put any questions or comments in writing so that you can look at them and consider them in your own time.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks Caro you seem to be an old hand at this. I am curious over waht thay wanted. They didn't phone home just my OH's mobile. but you're right it's not a good idea to get into phone debates with them. my OH can't hear well so will instruct him not to take the call fromthem.

I started in exactly the same way as you. I had not heard of anything like this until March and started my claims in May. YB are still digging their heels in but I will get there. You pick it up as you go along.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

What's the point in digging thier heels in? They are going to loose so why drag it out. Other banks are paying up easily or so it seems. Does it matter how much you're claiming to how easily they pay up?

Until very recently they weren't really paying at all, but they seem to be beginning to see the light. I can't see much of a pattern yet, although some seem to be sent cheques for 50% now and they seem to think that is enough.

my claim at the moment is £4770 ish. This is for three accounts. 2 in my husbands name and one in joint names. I have done LBA for one claim last week. Not heard any thing yet. But If I submit a money claim with the 8% when the 14 days are up the calim will be more than £5000. Should I make 2 separate claims?

Any advice would be great.

It is ok if the section 69 (8%) interest takes you over £5,000 as it will still be eligible for the small claims track.

Update -

Got a 'lovely' letter from Neil McKirdy 1 week after LBA to say that he will respond to my compalint within the next 4 weeks. Am I obliged to wait these 4 weeks or should I continue with next step after the initial 14 days are up? If I continue with the next step should I let him know? Any advice please.