UK Debt- Canadian resident

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a Canadian resident studying the in UK

I have tenant debt with a large letting agency-I had provided my landlord with my account information for direct withdrawals, they never took rent from me (truth be told, it was my father's bank account- he thought the money I was withdrawing was for rent while I thought rent money was being directly withdrawn and the remainder was my spending money)

After I gave the landlord my notice that I was moving out the Landlord then realized that they had not taken rent and wanted me to pay immediately and I obviously did not have they money to pay them then and I left the UK as my school term was over.

They don't have any information in regards to where I live and since they can't get in contact with me I don't know what actions they have taken against me ( I don't have any letters regarding this debt, I don't know if any is waiting for me in the UK)

I recently tried to open an account in the UK and I was refused due to poor credit. I'm guessing it stems from all this.

Anyways I'm just wondering what effects this will have on me if I move back to Canada- mainly these things

1) If this went to the CCJ, will I be held at the UK border if go back due to this? ( I understand its a civil matter but I'm going in with a Visa- does this make a difference?)

2) What happens if this was sent to the CCJ?

3) Can this debt follow me to Canada? Can this effect my credit in Canada? (I know about reciprocal agreements between UK and Canada, but what does this mean exactly for me? )

4) Anything else you would want me to know.

I honestly would make these payments but I'm still a student and don't make any money and my dad's company went under last year so he is currently not earning anything either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have no experience with such serious matters.

Thank you. :|

Firstly, if you're in Canada then they cannot obtain a CCJ against you as you're not in the UK. So all answers are purely hypothetical!

Also, I'd think that your landlord would have quite a bit of explaining to do as to why, after the direct debit was set up to pay the rent, they did nothing about collecting it...presumably for several months!

1) If this went to the CCJ, will I be held at the UK border if go back due to this? NO! UK customs & immigration couldn't care less if you have any debts. The only thing that would affect your return to the Uk would be a criminal conviction.

2) What happens if this was sent to the CCJ? Not sure if you understand what a CCJ is. A CCJ is a County Court Judgement, in other words an order by a UK county court for a person to pay their creditors.

3) Can this debt follow me to Canada? Can this effect my credit in Canada? No. Well it could possibly follow you if the landlord is ready to spend money on paying a DCA to trace you but nothing could be done about it.

4) Anything else you would want me to know. Yes - make sure the direct debit from your father's account to the landlord has been cancelled!