200 pounds tenancy fees

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4849 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello I am a new person and I came across this forum when I was investigating the problem I am about to mention.

I saw a nice flat today but was told that as well as 2 months rent I'd need 200 quid extra as a non refundable fee, to secure the tenancy and for their searches. I bought a phone in November and it took them about 20 seconds to do a credit check so 200 quid seems a bit steep.

Is this normal?

The rent is 500 per month and I have 600 pounds. I had thought that was enough until today when it turns out i need 1200 pounds. So im 600 short. Can I pay the shortfall with my credit card or would even suggesting that go against me with a letting agent. I may be able to borrow the 600 from my brother.

Top and bottom of it is I do need a flat pretty soon and any advice would be appreciated.

Hi there, £200 is not unreasonable for agency fees!

They don't just do a credit check, they check references, bank activity etc to try to ascertain that you

are the sort of tenant the landlord wants which isn't unreasonable really when you think you will be

living in their biggest asset.

I would say however it's a bit of a cheek to ask for that AND 2 months rent as a deposit, try negotiating

a month (which is usual) or a month and a half and i don't see a problem with paying by credit card as

long as they accept them :-D

Hi Seeyouontheheap,

I am going through the process of claiming ulawful fees and the return of deposit for a tenancy based in Scotland.

If your flat is in Scotland then this quote from the Govan Law Centre may be of help:

Estate and letting agents in Scotland regularly require the payment of such charges before they let properties to tenants in the private rented sector. Yet, any charge in addition to rent (or a lawful deposit) is an unlawful 'premium' under Scots law, punishable by a statutory fine on a successful prosecution, and liable to be refunded to the tenant.

IMO They get enough from the landlord and rental fees as it is - pure greed

HTH

G

Edited by gerson
typo

Check what the £200 covers, and ask what happens if the landlord or agent withdraw the property from you. Get it in writing.

£200 is a figure set by the market rather than the real cost. An independent landlord can buy a full check for less than £35. Cost for doing an inventory varies on the size of property but is around £100.

Almost certainly they will charge the landlord some fees too (in addition to the 10%-15% of the rent which was the going rate last time I checked).

But as Planner says, they can charge what they like and will get away with it if people pay up.