Barclays claim debt is settled, yet debt collectors have been taking my money for six years!

simpsonsmania
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4755 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, hope you can help. I re-activated and logged back onto my Experien account today, for the first time in 5 years and when scouring through the organisations I owe money to, I noticed that Barclays Bank have put the status of 'settled' on a £13k loan I took out with them in 2004.

I defaulted on the payments in 2005, and the account was referred to a debt collection agency (I can't remember their name off the top of my head) and instead of paying Barclays £222 a month, I negotiated to pay the debt collectors £22.69 a month instead, which I have been doing since some time in 2005.

But since Barclays have listed the debt in my Experien account as being settled, does this mean the debt is finished, and basically I've been paying £22.69 a month for nearly 6 years for nothing!?!

A friend has suggested I write to Barclays for confirmation of the account being settled, then go after the debt collectors to get a full refund on the amount I've paid them.

Can anyone offer any advise please?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to CAG. Sorry you were missed.

"Settled" just means that the debt has been written off Barclays books (accounting) The debt still exists although it's now with the debt collectors.

As for getting any money back from the DCA-don't hold your breath.

Do you know if there are any charges on the account (before it was sold) that could be reclaimed?

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

• 2 months later...

but why no show on the cra of the payments to the dca?

something funny going on....

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...