Fitness First - membership fee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3808 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm not actually after advice but just wanted to air my experience with Fitness First:

I joined the Bath gym when they first opened 3 years ago, since the gym opened they spent very little money on the upkeep and subsequently lots of machines are broken to some extent. The state of the gym in general is pretty poor with half of the showers again being broken in some way or other.

Gym instructors use the gym floor to organise their own PT sessions (which they are being directly paid for) this is very distracting having PT trainers and punters running around the equipment up and down the fitness area where everyone else is trying to walk.

They messed my membership up right from the start and it took pretty much 8 months before they refunded me money they had taken without authorisation.

Also very recently the airconditioning had broken for over a month, which meant it was very difficult to use any of the cardio equipment.

I joined on a corporate membership and paid a reduced fee, last year the price went up by almost 20% and this year they wanted to put it up by another 20% bringing me up to essentialy a full membership price (all bar £1). They give the VAT increase as a reason to increase prices, which I can understand however.... VAT didn't go UP by 20% and anyway how come the membership fees didn't go down when VAT was reduced by 2.5%

I note that they have to give you 1 month notice of any price rise, but then they do this by dating a letter the 30th November and then sending it Second Class, which means that you will not receive it until the begining of December and by which time it would be too late for you to cancel your membership in time to avoid the increased fee (this seems very underhand!).

Being so upset by their general attitude I decided I would cancel my membership, I won't go into more detail, but after speaking to their customer service department I couldn't believe how rude and abnoxious they were - I didn't even phone up to complain, I just phoned to cancel and I was spoken to as though I was an idiot.

So after doing a bit of googling, I find that this seems to not be an isolated incident (being spoken to by their customer service this way) so thought I'd post my exprience.

NB My girlfriend, my son and a close friend of mine have also cancelled their memberships now. I don't wish ill on anyone and there are some very nice instructors at the gym, but as a company I fail to see how they think this arrogance is acceptable, I'm sure they are going through some tough times with the recession, but they've just lost close to £200 a month membership fees from just me and my family where a bit of decent customer service mght have made all the difference.

Edited by iant187
typo's :)

Hi Ian,

No, you are certainly not alone, having to deal with such treatment from the staff in Cust'r Svs.

Let us know if you want any help in dealing with the demands, etc that will no doubt follow.

8)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)