Believe car was mis-sold but not a clue what to do about it !

humphrd

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if anyone can help here but we need some advice on what, if anything we can do about the following situation:

In 2008 we decided to move to France for a period of time and bought a new LHD 4x4 (or so we thought) as this was going to be most useful for renovations/towing etc.

Anyway we bought the car from a LHD garage in Hindhead which I believe has since gone out of business. They sourced the Hyundai for us as we wanted to ensure it was a 4x4 model. The car was in Germany and had been registered for 1 day there (no idea why only one day but something to do with port of entry into Europe). The car was at a dealership and had only been used as a demonstrator we were told and it had 1,200 miles on the clock.

The car duly arrived and looked fine, it was registered on UK plates and the documents all said first registered 2008 - so we paid for the car and have had 3 years of happy motoring so no problems there. In France we re-registered onto French plates as is the law and again no issues.

So 3 years later we have returned to the UK and driving a LHD car on the wrong side of the road isn't my idea of fun so we thought we would sell it. A reputable LHD dealer offered us a price for the car but when we sent through the documentation with the VIN number so that he could start the paperwork he came back and said the car was in fact a 2005. As there is a 5 in the VIN - so presumably it had been sat somewhere for a couple of years before arriving in Germany. Needless to say he has now valued the car downwards considerably.

We are not sure where to turn next - we purchased the car in good faith it had been registered in the UK on an 08 plate so surely that should be used for the age of the car or at the least 07 (although we have no papers relating to that registration). I have never in my life checked a VIN when buying a car except to check it was the same as the documentation. Would appreciate some advice on what we can do.

Hi and welcome to CAG

I'm sorry that I can't help but eventually someone will see this post

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

The car had an 08 registration in the UK when we picked it up and we had a V5 which states first registered 15/3/2008, when we re-registered the car in France the appropriate bit was sent back to the DVLA and we also have the appropriate French registration documents.

The problem has only arisen as the dealer who was buying the car queried the age and said that the VIN means it is a 2005 car, which whilst I appreciate may be the year of manufacture isn't the year of registration. There must be thousand of cars that come of the production line and sit around for sometime before being sold and registered. I always thought it was the year of registration that counted not the year the car was built

Not sure who you would have a claim with here,the dealer can offer whatever he wants and its up to you if you accept it.

You cant force him to pay the original amount.

He will be using the build date as ammunition to force the price down and will sell the car as an "08" plate not an 05 but he is not breaking the law.

Your only case would be againist the suppling dealer who is not around any more

Thanks for the inputs - absolutely we can make a decision on whether we sell the car or not and agree we probably do not have anyone that we can make any claim on. It just came as a big shock to us and we wanted to try and find out the facts.

We have spoken to our main Hyundai dealer who are trying to get the answer for us but at the moment we are confused as whether we are trying to sell an 05, 07 or 08 car ! The UK registration document clearly states date first registered as 2008 and "declared new at first registration" but as a dealer has bought the issue up we wanted to check what the correct date is. We even tried the DVLA and they were about as useful as a chocolate teapot !!!