Driving test cancelled

iwray
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4672 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The DVLA have just cancelled the driving test for my daughter on the day of her test. She was informed that this was due to icy conditions. However she had a 2 hour driving lesson prior to her test which she said there was no ice. So that lesson was a waste. In addition, being a student she only home during the holidays so rearranging will mean a wait until her next holidays and considerable expense to arrange more lessons. In fact, as she had to go to university at the end of last week this trip home was specifically to take the driving test.

Are the DVLA (driving test centre) liable to pay compensation for the wasted lessons and the wasted travel?

Thanks in advance

I doubt it very much. Even insurance doesn't usually cover for "acts of god" which this would no doubt be classed as. Even if there was no ice, I'm sure they will argue the risk was significant enough to give cause for cancellation. Especially if weather reports have stated that drivers are encouraged to stay off the road unless absolutely necessary.

It's unfortunate and frustrating I'm sure, but I don't think even I could argue the DVLA are at fault for the weather.

Are the DVLA (driving test centre) liable to pay compensation for the wasted lessons and the wasted travel?

The short answer is no.

Driving test cancellations due to bad weather are automatically rebooked free of charge by the DSA but they clearly state that they are not responsible for any associated costs. This would include today's lesson (or any additional lessons that now need to be taken to keep up to test standard) or and any travel or time off work that the candidate may have taken and now lost.

I had one cancelled this morning as well which is somewhat annoying for all the reasons you mention.Remember though, that a pupil's (or instructor's) opinion of the road conditions at the time counts for nothing. I didn't think the roads were too bad this morning, but I wasn't driving on specific test routes and also I could tailor my lessons to the conditions. e.g. If I thought the main "A" roads were too slippy for driving at 70mph I could stay off them, but the driving test must be able to follow the full test route and use "appropriate" speeds.

btw

The driving tests are nothing to do with the DVLA (thank goodness as they F** Up enough of the stuff they do have a finger in) Driving tests are the domain of the DSA (Driving Standards Agency)

The short answer is no.

Driving test cancellations due to bad weather are automatically rebooked free of charge by the DSA but they clearly state that they are not responsible for any associated costs. This would include today's lesson (or any additional lessons that now need to be taken to keep up to test standard) or and any travel or time off work that the candidate may have taken and now lost.

I had one cancelled this morning as well which is somewhat annoying for all the reasons you mention.Remember though, that a pupil's (or instructor's) opinion of the road conditions at the time counts for nothing. I didn't think the roads were too bad this morning, but I wasn't driving on specific test routes and also I could tailor my lessons to the conditions. e.g. If I thought the main "A" roads were too slippy for driving at 70mph I could stay off them, but the driving test must be able to follow the full test route and use "appropriate" speeds.

btw

The driving tests are nothing to do with the DVLA (thank goodness as they F** Up enough of the stuff they do have a finger in) Driving tests are the domain of the DSA (Driving Standards Agency)

OK, thank you for your rapid reply. It's interesting that a private company BSM, who presumably took my daughter round the test route, can operate but a public one cannot not. I suppose the DSA are not accountable and incur no costs. Anyway thanks.

I didn't think the roads were too bad this morning, but I wasn't driving on specific test routes and also I could tailor my lessons to the conditions. e.g. If I thought the main "A" roads were too slippy for driving at 70mph I could stay off them, but the driving test must be able to follow the full test route and use "appropriate" speeds.

OK, thank you for your rapid reply. It's interesting that a private company BSM, who presumably took my daughter round the test route, can operate but a public one cannot not. I suppose the DSA are not accountable and incur no costs. Anyway thanks.

I explained why in my paragraph above.

• 5 months later...

Hi

Welcome to The Consumer Action Group.

I am just letting you know that as you haven't had any replies to your post yet, it might be better if you post your message again in an appropriate sub-forum. You will get lots of help there.

Also take some time to read around the forum and get used to the layout. It is a big forum and takes a lot of getting used to.

Once you start to find your way, you will soon realise that it is fairly easy to get round and to get the help you need.

It can be bit confusing at first.

Please be advised that my time will be limited for the next few weeks.Thanks for your understanding.