style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4539 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The train companies should be able to retain our personal information...  

14 Caggers have voted

1. 1. The train companies should be able to retain our personal information...

• Strongly agree
    • Agree
    • Not sure
    • Disagree
    • Strongly disagree

Yesterday I received a £20 penalty fare at Waterloo. Later that day I discovered that the ticket inspectors are supposed to offer you the chance to pay the penalty fare upfront- this one didn't, he insisted upon me giving my details of address so that SWT could bill me the fare which is a real inconvenience as I'm at University and don't live at home much these days. When I asked him if I could pay it upfront he said that I couldn't because he'd already started filling out the form- but this is not in line with SWT policy on penalty fares. I've heard that the penalty fare can be paid online but I'm still irritated that SWT now have me on record and can use this case against me in the future. Have I been mistreated here? Is there such a thing as appealing against the unfair retention of my personal information? Would I be likely to succeed in such an appeal? Thanks.

Whether you pay 'up front' or later, he is still entitled to request your details. I am surprised that he didn't accept your full payment, if it was 'on offer'. However, the penalty fare schemes do not allow 'collectors' to demand full payment on the spot. (They may ask, they may not 'demand') There are also many circumstances where they are required to consider your welfare over 'collection'.

Edited by MARTIN3030

They are entitled to keep your details for a 'reasonable time'. The word 'reasonable' is one of those wonderfully imprecise words. I suspect that the data may be kept for about 7 years, unless you do 're-offend', in which case, it could be kept for a similar length of time from the date of the fresh offence. However, they need to have a reason to keep it.

Edited by MARTIN3030

Yesterday I received a £20 penalty fare at Waterloo. Later that day I discovered that the ticket inspectors are supposed to offer you the chance to pay the penalty fare upfront- this one didn't, he insisted upon me giving my details of address so that SWT could bill me the fare which is a real inconvenience as I'm at University and don't live at home much these days. When I asked him if I could pay it upfront he said that I couldn't because he'd already started filling out the form- but this is not in line with SWT policy on penalty fares. I've heard that the penalty fare can be paid online but I'm still irritated that SWT now have me on record and can use this case against me in the future. Have I been mistreated here? Is there such a thing as appealing against the unfair retention of my personal information? Would I be likely to succeed in such an appeal? Thanks.
As Wriggler stated, the staff are entitled to request your details regardless, as you didn't have a valid rail ticket. Your post worries me a little, as I fear you are of the impression you were given a Penalty Fare, where in fact, you were reported for an alleged offence. Were you given the necessary Penalty Fare paperwork? Some Revenue folk aren't as clear as maybe they should be when reporting somebody. The person being reported should be told, in no uncertain terms "I'm reporting you, as I believe offences might have been committed" and also that "This is not a Penalty Fare matter".

I strongly agree with them holding details, as it helps to combat fare evasion. Even if you'd have paid up-front, the staff are entitled to, and really should but often don't, take your details, for the sole reason I meantioned about combatting fare evasion.

I think Stigy may possibly have hit the nail here.

You say you were 'given a £20 penalty fare'

Did you sign a numbered form, which was then handed to you?

The form will say on it when the appeal must be made, or penalty must be paid by. (If a penalty fare notice was issued yesterday you would have until 30th of January.)

If you were not given the form it is likely that you have been reported.

• 10 months later...

funny how the ones who have voted against the poll are all fare evaders.......

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4539 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks