Advice needed - issue with plumber no longer in business

abby's mum

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone

I have a bit of a problem and would really appreciate some advice. It's a long story but I'll try and keep it short(ish!)

We had a boiler fitted in Jan 2008 by a local plumber. In December 2008 the fan assembly broke down and, as the boiler was under warranty the manufacturer sent someone out to replace it.

In October this year, we discovered we had a gas leak. The engineer who came out told us that the leak was from the boiler itself and that one of the connections to the boiler was not tight enough. He felt it was possible that the boiler had been leaking since installation (but I don't have this in writing).

Then, on Christmas morning we discovered water pouring from the boiler (exactly the same as with the fault in 2008). We were unable to get any plumber to come out (or the manufacturers). Finally, we got through to British gas and arranged for them to come out and repair the boiler as we would take out a homeserve policy. They came on 5th January and identified that the fault was with the fan assembly (again).They have supplied a replacement part. However, they are unable to repair the boiler as on inspection , they identified that the boiler was not installed correctly. There is no mini expansion vessel fitted on the cold mains as per the manufacturers instructions and the flue is unsupported. Obviously we are going to have to get the work done as we are now 15 days without hot water and heating. British Gas have left a safety warning which describes the boiler as a possible danger to life or property.

Unfortunately, the name of the plumbing company is no longer listed . Can I still proceed with a claim against him? He may not be working for himself anymore but I'm worried that he could be working for someone else and continuing to put people at risk.

Any advice anyone has would be very gratefully received.

• 2 weeks later...

i believe if you call Gas Safe... they should confirm weather he is still a registered gas man. Remember when corgi changed to Gas Safe, ALL engineers had to register with the to get a gas safe badge, and be within the law to work on boilers...

They wont give you any more details other than a yes or no, you could ask them for advice on what to do, as its a safety issue they might be able to pass information to him.

• 3 weeks later...

if the business was registered it would have to located somewhere. the red pages

might have something listed in their archives if he was using it to advertise his services

or else the gazette he used for the same purpose.

it shouldn't be too hard to trace him from there.

p.s. try to come to some equitable solution before going to court (judges like to see you

made an attempt to settle things).

all the best

• 2 weeks later...

HI abby's Mum

it does sound like the boilers been installed in an incorect way , If you contact Gas Safe on 08004085500 explain to them your problem and ask for a free gas safety inspection , they will send one of there inspectors to check the property if it is an installation problem and the plumbers still trading and registered with them they will ask him how he is going to rectify the situation Gas Safe have a lot of powers under GAS SAFETY INSTALLATION AND USE REGULATIONS and they do use them no plumber would wish to cross them

hope this helps

cb

Still Fighting 4 PPI claims getting there slowly :smile: