Jump to content

Am I entitled to benefits of some sort? - worried


style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

hello everyone.


I am 52, single, and I was working part time as a delivery driver until last week when my car broke down. I was employed as an owner driver and required to do my job using my own vehicle. i have had this job since my youngest left school almost 7 years ago. I was working between 14-20 hours (no set working hours) a week and made around £300-£350a month. No tax is deducted and N.I. contributions have never been deducted from my pay. I don't know why this is. I also recieve a pension from C.I.S. of £360 a month and around £30 tax is deducted from this.


My boss has to let me go because I cannot do my job without my car.


My son has moved out to live with his girlfriend, and I don't have his board money to help, I cannot pay my mortgage and the lenders will want to repossess in a couple of months. I have been to see the local council and they have given me a housing application which I have already completed and returned a couple of days ago.


I suffer with chronic bronchitis and asthma and bursitis, and i think it's because of this that employers never offer me a job when I apply, and that I had surgery last year. They don't even reply.


I don't know how I'm going to live on just £330 a month. I don't think I can claim benefits because I haven't been paying N.I. contributions.


Appreciate any advice on how or if I can get help?


I'm so worried, everything has changed so drastically for me in just a matter of weeks and I really don't have any idea of the benefits system at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You only need to have paid sufficient contributions to claim contributory based benefits. If you do not have sufficient contributions, they will work out your entitlement to income based benefits, which will be reduced by the amount of Pension you receive, any other household income and capital.


If you are entitled to income based benefits, after 13 weeks you can apply for Support for Mortgage Interest. This only covers interest toward a mortgage, none of the capital is paid.


If you are fit to work, you should claim Jobseekers Allowance. If you are unfit to work you should claim Employment and Support Allowance.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.



Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)





Link to post
Share on other sites

I have made enquiries and I won't be entitled to any benefit because my private pension exceeds the allowance paid.


My pension is £330month after tax and JSA pays less than this, but I qualify for council tax benefit so I will apply for that.


When I recieve Council Tax benefit, will that automatically qualify me for free prescriptions and dental treatment and specs?


thank you for your information so far, I appreciate it :smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites

You still need to make a claim for either JSA or ESA. Even if they can't pay you anything because of your pension, it starts the clock running until they can pay toward your mortgage. You may have to be quite insistent about making a claim.


"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...