Housing Benefit fraud Help

Worried444
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recieved a letter inviting me to an interview under caution by the housing benefit department.

I signed on a while back and mentioned to the woman that i did some part tmework occasionaly. She informed me that i would have to declare my income but as it was irregular just to let them know when i was paid.

Long and short i didn't to the tune of around £1600 although the payments were mosty for work done prior to me signing on.

I signed off after claiming for 3months but continued to recieve housing benefit. During the period following my signing off i had an income of around £500 and have been setting myself up as self employed.

I have just manage to get my self employment sorting and have my first invoice going out for work in December.

I wish to declare my earnings but as i haven't had an invoice to work from have been unable to calculate my potetial earnings until now.

On my bank statement the only income i have had has been a little from my partime work and some gifts from my family.

As i didn't declare the part time work i am worried that will be prosecuted for fraud. Obviously i will happly pay back any over payment of benefit but wish to avoid prosecution. How can i go about this.

Also i have spoken to a couple of legal firms and have recieved advice that i shoudn't attend the interview as they are deliberatly intimidating and I may incriminate myself accidentally.

Very worried as i just want to be able to declare my earnings and they haven't informed me of how i can do this, now concerned i maybe facing prosectution for fraud.

Thanks

Hi Worried

Welcome to CAG

The guys will advise as soon as they are available. I think you might of spoken to the wrong solicitors, as I think you should attend the interview, you could potentially

make your situation worse. I'm not sure they would prosecute as the amount is probably below the threshold. But they would probably ask you to pay it back

with interest and penalties. I know it's hard but try not to worry. Really one for Erika.

Cheers.

I don't mind paying back what is owed and simply wish to be able to rectify the issue. I do however not wish to incriminate myself or say anything i shouldn't during the interview. I didn't know how to go about declaring my income and still don't to be honest as i would like to be able to as i don't earn that much.

Will they agree to some sort of payment plan for the repayment or expect me to find a lump sum?

Are you entitled to Legal Aid? If a solicitor goes to the Interview with you, he/she can find out what information that actually hold

and thats before the interview.

I'm sure they would allow a payment plan of some sort.

Cheers.

I don't mind paying back what is owed and simply wish to be able to rectify the issue. I do however not wish to incriminate myself or say anything i shouldn't during the interview. I didn't know how to go about declaring my income and still don't to be honest as i would like to be able to as i don't earn that much.

Will they agree to some sort of payment plan for the repayment or expect me to find a lump sum?

I spoke to communtiy legal advice earlier and they think i am entitled to legal aid.

Feel really annoyed with myself for getting into this situation over signing on for a couple of months. I even called and spoke to the housing benefits people to say i was setting myself up as self employed and would let them know my earnings once i had got my details back and started invoicing.