A demand from solicitors for money not owed ( welsh water )

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4036 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recieved today, a letter addressed to me, from solicitors acting for welsh water demanding £641-31p for unpaid water/ sewerage charges for an address i previously lived at. Charges are for feb 2007 - jan 2009. However, i didnt even live in wales during this period. I contacted the solicitors and welsh water to be told i had to prove this. The housing assoc is sending me out a letter today which confirms this.

I have written to welsh water and stated that if i recieve further demands for money for which i am not liable, i will take further action for stress and harrassment.

I left the said address in 2006 and gave a final meter reading which i paid in full. This debt must be for tenants after i left.

Am i entitled to take further action if i again recieve a demand for this debt i do not owe? and can prove. Its as good as demanding money by menaces

Thanks

Hi Mac

You can sue them for 'Harrassment', but it's very difficult to prove. How much harrassment constitutes harrassment?

If you can get any documentation that Welsh Water relates to the people who lived at that address after you, that would be good.

You could have a look at the electrol roll.

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2009/46.html

The housing association is sending me out a letter today which will show i gave up my tenancy in april 2006 and was not a tenant of theirs during the dates for which the demand for money is being made.

I have just rang the solicitors asking for them to send me proof that the demand for this outstanding money is for the period i wasnt even living in wales, they said they will post details out to me on monday

Lets see what they send. Don't forget we can get info from Welsh Water by sending a SAR Request it would cost £10, but they would send you all the Data on your account. They have 40 days to respond.

I have just rang the solicitors asking for them to send me proof that the demand for this outstanding money is for the period i wasnt even living in wales, they said they will post details out to me on monday

Before posting my letter i updated it to state, if they continue to instruct solicitors/debt collection agencies or if themselves continue to chase me for a debt i could not possibly owe, that i would seek advice fron the c.a.b. into sueing them for undue stress/harrassment and making false demands for money that i do not owe and can prove.