What garuantee period do I have on my car repairs

Vinny94
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4856 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am in need of some clear advice. I had a new clutch system fitted on the 9th January 2009 (3 days shy of 2 years ago) to my Citreon by my local garage. This cost around £350 in total and I have the receipt to prove the work was completed. Now my clutch is on it's way out again and wondered if I had a leg to stand on to be able to contact the garage and get them to replace the part for free even though it has been two years. I am not up to speed with what my rights are I just know that £350 is a lot of money and being hit again now is going to hurt so before I have to probably pay out again I wanted to find out for sure.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to shed some light.

If it is a franchised part fitted at a franchised garage then you have a chance.

Your claim would be under what is known as a "parts goodwill claim" if it fell outside of the usual 12 month, 12K mileage warranty, especially on a part such as this.

Having said that, one needs to consider why it failed at this time so it would be worth requesting prior to the claim why the fault has occurred again in such a short period of time.

If you get a goodwill claim authourised invariaby it will be for the parts only and you'll be left with the labour bill which is usually worth pursuing.

The car has never been used for towing purposes, has done 28,000 miles roughly since last clutch system was fitted and this was fitted by my local garage not a franchise chain so I think that I will have to bite the bullet and pay out for a new one again.

Thanks to all for your quick response, these forums are very useful.

Make sure your garage is using a Brand new clutch. By this I am not suggesting they put in a second hand one but there are loads of reconditioned units available that are cheap. The reconditioned ones generally only have a new friction plate and bearing and the pressure plate is "inspected" for wear. Inspected often is a visual check for damage but they will never last as long as a new unit. Such clutches are available on exchange basis. Ask for the old clutch back as you would like to have it looked at. That will hopefully stop them from using these cheap parts. Fast fit places commonly use these.