style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4745 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Following the advice of the promotions for bank visa cards I decided I would use my cards for obtaining cash whilst abroad.

My cards were stolen and when I asked Barclays bank to transfer money and or replace cards I was told if I wanted to transfer money abroad I would have to return to my branch and do the transfer from there, (14000 miles and £1200 airfares). They said they could only send replacement cards to my home address not much good if no one is there to send the cards on.

I think that the banks attitude was obstructive and insensitive to my situation, (they in effect told me I would have to starve to death in a foreign country). I find their attitude tottally unreasonable particulary as they do not mention in their promotins that if you lose or have cards stolen they will leave you to starve. Barclays had a branch in the city I was in and there was also a visa branch. so I do not understand why a transfer could not have been made.

I am now suing Barclays for negligence so any opinions or advice would be very welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the process of commencing a damages claim against BARCLAYS BANK in the county court. The case concerns the theft of my bank cards whilst abroad and BARCLAYS refusal to send me emergency cash or replacement card, and effectively leaving me to starve to death in a foreign country (they actually told me I would have to return to my BARCLAYS branch in the UK to make a cash transfer, 14000 miles and £1200 airfares). This was despite BARCLAYS having a branch in the city I was in.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Anyone have any advice about how to take action I am claiming £5000 damages for negligence.

Well to be honest you will have trouble claiming damages for them not providing a service that they never said they would provide in the first place.

You need to scan the T&C's and see what exactly they say they will do in the event of a lost or stolen card.

Hi

Basis for my claim is that barclays have obligation to carry out my instruction (bank customer relationship is one of master and servant means banks should carry out instructions of customers). Also negligence in respect of breach of duty of care owed to customers not to allow them to starve in forein countries by witholding there funds.

They only have to carry out your instructions in as far as the T&C's of the CC are concerned.

As for allowing you to starve, well shouldn't your travel insurance have covered that? Unless there was something in the T&C's which obligated Barclays to ensure you were never without means to purchase food or there was travel insurance included as part of your agreement.

I am sympathetic but if they didn't say they would do it in your contract then they can't be held accountable.

Dig out all documents regarding overseas use etc and scan them up here so we can pick to pieces to see where you stand.

• 2 months later...

Whilst travelling in Thailand recently I had my visa card stolen (not by prostitute in room but on main street). I was surprised when I phoned Barclays to be told they would only send a replacement card to my home address and to get a cash transfer I would have to return to my branch in the UK and make the transfer from there (14000 miles and £1200 airfares). SO BE WARNED IF YOU LOSE OR HAVE YOUR VISA CARD STOLEN BARCLAYS BANK WILL LET YOU STARVE TO DEATH IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY

geoffe77.

I've merged your 3 threads on this subject, please stick to this thread with regards this issue.

You first posted about this on the 6th January, whats happened since then.

I've also unapproved your other thread in the Barclays Forum and moved this thread there.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert