Can I get a crisis loan

angel2010
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4851 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I need some urgent advice, due to several months of no work *i am self employed and not being able to claim any benefits, I am in a desperate situation. If I do not make my current mortgage payment I will have no home, I literally have no money and cannot borrow any. Can I apply for a crisis loan?

Thanks in advance

I have nothing but still technically self employed so thats what I was informed but I have little knowledge of benefits as not had to do this before. I have applied for over 40 jobs in the last 2 months but in the meantime not sure how I live.

I think you can be technically self employed and still apply for JSA - you're actively seeking and available for work. Maybe someone else with more experience in this area will be able to chime in.

Now that you have applied for JSA, you can apply for a Crisis Loan for alignment to benefit, and can do this over the phone (freephone), with a decision the same day. They will only consider immediate living expenses such as food/gas/electricity. They are not able to consider mortgage payments.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

You can apply for up to £1500. They will ask you how much you think you need until your benefit comes through, but ultimately they will make the decision on how much they award. They will only pay you until your next available resource is due or expected. They don't usually award more than 14 days in any one period for living expenses, so if you get to that period and still have no money you can apply for another one. The maximum amount they will award you for immediate living expenses is equivalent to 75 per cent of the Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance (income-related) personal amount appropriate in your circumstances.

As a rough guide, if you are a single man aged over 25 with no disability, no savings and no income, your personal allowance for income based JSA would be £65.45 per week. 75% of this is £49.09 per week. If a Crisis loan was payable to someone in these circumstances for immediate living epxenses to cover a period of 4 days, they would work out the daily amount of JSA:

65.45 is the weekly rate, divided by 7 days = 9.35 daily allowance. They would then multiply this by the number of days the CL is to cover which in this example is 4 days, so: daily allowance of £9.35 x 4 days = £37.40. They would then take it at 75% and 75% of £37.40 is £28.05, so the amount of crisis loan would be £28.05 to cover 4 days.

Be aware that the example is only a very rough guide. You may get more or less, depending on what it is you need to cover and what (if any) other resources you have in addition to your personal circumstances and the period it is to cover.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

You can't apply for a Crisis Loan for living expenses in person; the jobcentre don't process Crisis Loans. The offices which process Crisis Loans are all call centers and closed to the public. If a person has had more than 3 Crisis Loans in a year (not including alignment to benefit), they must attend an interview at the jobcentre but other than this, you can't apply at the Jobcentre.