The Wicked Witch From Wickes!

col348
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4795 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

I recently purchased flooring packs from Wickes that totalled £545. I paid £460 with wickes vouchers and £85 on my Visa. I returned 3 packs yesterday, which equated to a £90 refund. The Manageress of the store would only pay me my refund in vouchers. I argued the fact that they had £85 of my 'money' on Visa and that I would only accept £85 back on my card and would accept a £5 voucher. She would not budge. After much arguments I gave up as I was loosing the will to live.

Does anyone know if I'm entitled to my 'money' back as opposed to vouchers? I feel they have 'stolen' my original £85 visa payment. I have no need for £90 Wickes vouchers and would like the cash back in my account.

Any help appreciated!

Hi col

Welcome to CAG

You could contact your credit card company and request a Chargeback. http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-debit-cards/ Explain exactly whats happen and that you requested a refund to your card. Keep the vouchers safe to return later. Obviously keep £5 voucher thats yours.

Basically they want you to spend your money in Wickes, so stupid, it's put you off dealing with Wickes.

I'm not sure if you are even entitled to any sort of refund. Are they responsible for an over measurement? do they say they will refund on an over purchase or is it just goodwill that they have?

You need to check that out before getting too involved.

Hi Conniff

Most retailers are happy to refund products that have been returned in a Resaleable condition, some even encourage the practise, especially DIY Stores, unless it's carpet thats been cut to size.

I'm not sure if you are even entitled to any sort of refund. Are they responsible for an over measurement? do they say they will refund on an over purchase or is it just goodwill that they have?

You need to check that out before getting too involved.

Thanks to all for the replies. Contacted Wickes customer services today and they said they'd try to resolve the issue. 2 hours later I received a call from the store manager (aka WWW) :-) . She basically said the till 'decides' on how customers are refunded. Pay majority with vouchers then till will only refund in vouchers. I asked if I'd paid the minority in vouchers, what would the till say then. There was a silence...... 'don't know' was the answer! In a nutshell, if the computer says no, the manager of the store cannot override this. This beggars belief!

Guess I'll be spending my vouchers soon! :sad:

Thanks again for the replies.

Hi col

You could ask her where it says that in there terms and conditions. It's o.k. telling you that after the facts, but where could you find that information before you purchased. They've basically made a choice that suits them, but not you the customer.

Plus these things can be overidden.

If you want to, you can send a Formal Letter of Complaint to Chief Executive : Geoff Cooper, heres his E-mail address [email protected]

Include as much detail as possible.

I would of thought they would (should ?) refund you perecentage wise, (i.e..if you paid 90% in vouchers and 10% cash then the refund should be the same pro-rata) would seem the fairest option to me, of course this would mean you'd still get the majority of the refund in vouchers.

Andy

I agree with Conniff here.

They don't have to refund you anything, the fact they have offered you vouchers is a goodwill gesture.

Many people are under the illusion that shops must refund you when you change your mind/buy to much. There is no such law (excluding DSR), they do it out of good will for their customers not because they have to. They could tell you to sling your hook and there is nothing you can do about it.

Take the vouchers and move on.

Even Wickes say they will Refund products returned within a specified timescale, so it isn't a matter of goodwill. They encourage people to buy from them on that basis, it's not goodwill. The refund isn't the problem, it's the form of the Refund that is in question.

I agree with Conniff here.

They don't have to refund you anything, the fact they have offered you vouchers is a goodwill gesture.

Many people are under the illusion that shops must refund you when you change your mind/buy to much. There is no such law (excluding DSR), they do it out of good will for their customers not because they have to. They could tell you to sling your hook and there is nothing you can do about it.

Take the vouchers and move on.

• 1 month later...

WICKES lady is lying to you, i used to work for them.

they CAN refund to your card/cash if they so wish, what shes actually saying is she doesnt want the refund on her bottom line for affecting her profit and loss.

if she refunds you in vouchers it comes on a different budget, id approach head office with that information and make sure they understand shes giving you the run around.

granted the others are correct they DONT have to refund you, but it is their policy to do so, as with B&Q and the others.