CP Parking charge, Motorway service station.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3218 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I know there has been plenty of threads on this topic but it would be most appreciated if i could have some clarification.

I was parked in a service station for 2hr55min (as stated on my parking charge) and recieved a parking charge within 2 weeks of the event. I had been driving too early and decided to have a nap before finishing the last leg of my journey home, i woke up ate breakfast and was on my way.

The main problem i have is that the car is infact registered to my mother, so the charges and whatever consequences that occur are aimed at her. I don't want her to worry so i'm asking for any advice/opinions or any information about the legal standings if i ignore the letters.

I'm on the 3rd letter sent by CP, and it's titled Legal Action. I was contemplating paying the fine to get it over with, however with it increased to £80 at the moment, this isn't something i would choose to do willingly.

Thanks for your time.

Hi and welcome to CAG. Sorry you were missed

I believe this is a private parking ticket so this blog is very relevant

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?658-Demands-from-Parking-enforcement-companies-advice-and-template

Have a look around the forum for other parking charge notice threads. you will be very surprised.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

The main problem i have is that the car is infact registered to my mother, so the charges and whatever consequences that occur are aimed at her. I don't want her to worry so i'm asking for any advice/opinions or any information about the legal standings if i ignore the letters..

This fact alone means you are cast iron safe. With respect, this is not YOUR main problem, but is in fact the PPC's main problem!

They are writing to your mother, who was not driving the car at the time, and therefore did not enter into any perported contract with the PPC, and despite the many letters they write to your mother she is under no obligation to tell them who was driving. As the contract can only be with the driver, any attempt by them to take your mother to court is inherently flawed. Case closed. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you are right Al27 I have copped a PCN fron CP+ at toddington service station. 47 minutes overstay cos I was playing the bandits and losing about £100 then getting done another £80 for 47 minutes.Do not know what to do but I have not paid yet. By the way it was 02:00 in the morning and the car park was threequarters empty so I was not exactly stopping other customers parking.

• 4 weeks later...
Don't do anything! The question is, what are they going to do to extract your money from your wallet?

The answer is that they will just write you begging letters, which you are quite within your rights to ignore.

Just received "REMINDER NOTICE DO NOT IGNORE" and £80.00 now due, makes your bottom twitch slightly but I am determined Not to pay this. Another interesting thing I noticed on the original PCN there is a picture of a car headlights and no number plate showing at all but underneath there is a smaller picture of my number plate, it is definitely two seperate pictures which makes no sense as the large picture showing the front of the car and headlights full on obliterates the camera taking the photo and does not show the number plate.

If my bottom was twiching I would be more concerned about having worms than this moronic private parking company. I suggest you see your gp. As for the letters, continue to ignor. And as for any photos they may send. So what? They have a photo, big deal. They still dont know the name of the person driving and without that they are screwed. What are they going to do? Take a photo to court and say to the judge 'I want to sue that guy'.

Rip off Britain at its worst - lots of matrix signs with the message saying take a break (are these sponsored by the PPC's ?) and then when you do they try to rob you. The modern highwaymen and all run from the comfort of a portacabin so Dick Turpin eat your heart out as they have none of this riding a horse in all weathers trying to make their dishonest living.

To make it a bigger rip off I notice that in several motorway service stations if you plan to stay more minutes than their petty rules allow you can purchase a ticket. This is dressed up as "no need to find change or a machine - sinply dial up a rip off 0870 number and pay over the phone by card" - wow a double whammy. What a joke these PPC's are but while people fall for it they will stay in business

Service stations were originally included on motorways to give motorists a break i.e. for a rest and a meal and were free to encourage this and hopefully stop tired motorsts from falling asleep at the wheel

Having these leeches infest these service areas limits the time people spend in them and how can you rest if you are clock watching in fear of receiving an invoice dressed up to look like something it isn't

OK if you are aware it is toilet paper (are they really worth that much) as you know it is a con relying on bluff and bluster and in reality is going nowhere

Ignore and put your money to better use and warn everyone you know, passers by etc. etc. so they do not get caught either.

Successfully ignored a number of PPC's and probably more to come as their entrapment ploys become more cunning :mad2:

Third letter arrived today "LEGAL ACTION PENDING" and raised the cost of 47 minutes overstay while spending money in Moto facilities to £120.00. I am sticking with you lads and am not going to let these thieving b******s have a penny, wish me luck

• 1 year later...

Hi

I've just received a letter saying I overstayed the maximum time at the services on the motorway and everyone who has commented on here seems really brave and is ignoring them. Also as someone else has mentioned, the letter has a picture which is completly black with headlights and a separate picture with a number plate. I was going to write back and say I didn't stay that long and as i can't see the car in the picture, I think they have made a mistake, but I don't want to admit fault but I'm too scared to ignore them.

What shall i do??

Can they send the heavies around or get the DVLA involved?

By "get the DVLA invovled", do you mean can they pay the DVLA £2.50 to be given the car's RK name and address, then the answer is yes. Does that make any difference, the answer is no. :)

Ignore is the safe way to go for now.

You seem to be confusing this bunch of chancers with the police or council. They are just a private company with no more powers than you or I to demand money off people. No "heavies" will come round and the the only way the DVLA will become involved is that they might give your details to the parking company.

• 2 months later...

Have just received the 'Debt recovery' letter about my car parking fine from service station. They are threatening legal action. I don't want to go to court or get involved with the police. Nor do I want bailiffs round my house. I'm guessing you will say still ignore it, but don't they have legal rights and force behind them??

Jo

NO. your rights are protected by law, they only have a possible civil tort and that is generally disproven so it is just bluff intending to do what it has done and that is to frighten you into thinking that something terrible can and will happen. It isnt and wont.

What about Baliffits?? I don't want them turning up on our doorstep. The picture they originally sent didn't even show it was my car as the headlights obscured the number plate, but how can I be sure they don't have other clearer pictures proving their case?

Hi.

The thing you need to understand is that bailiffs do not 'just' turn up. The parking company has to take you to court first and then for you to LOSE the case. In the event you did lose (unlikely as they are reluctant to go to court) AND you failed to pay the judgement then and ONLY then 'could' they instruct a bailiff.

Stop thinking worst case scenario. The letters are intended to distress and that is exactly what they are doing. RIGHT!

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE