• Tweets

• Hi CAG,   First time poster here.   I would like to start off by saying that I've read through various threads and it's quite heartwarming to see the level of attention and support you give to people dealing with often stressful and anxiety inducing circumstances. I'll certainly be making a donation as this is truly a valuable resource.   I've read several similar threads to my own situation but I thought I'd seek your advice.   I opened a letter just a few hours ago from London Collection and Compliance Centre which is dated 11th January 2022 for an amount totalling £870.68. I'll attach a copy below. I can't quite remember the date of the initial offence. For context, I boarded a bus (I believe in 2018) and unbeknownst to me, my contactless card did not register correctly on the reader. I had my headphones in with music playing and was sat for my journey and then was approached by a ticket inspector who informed me that I did not tap and therefore was unable to provide proof of a valid ticket. Despite explaining the circumstances, I was asked for my details which I provided in full. I was honest and forthcoming with the ticket inspector but I wasn't aware this would amount to a fine as I was provided with a printed pass for the remainder of my journey. I accept liability for not being able to provide proof of a valid ticket and do not wish to dispute this regardless of intent.    I'm not entirely sure why I didn't pay the fine upon receipt of TfL's initial correspondence but I'm a long time sufferer of anxiety and depression which at times is so debilitating that I'm unable to make the best decisions or carry out simple actions. Some of which would mean I wouldn't need to make this post. I struggled financially at the time of receiving this letter and further correspondence which placed I did not deal with correctly because of the mental state I was in. I struggled to cope with and stupidly I neglected my responsibility and buried my head in the sand. I made an error in judgement that I wholeheartedly regret.   As of writing (early hours of 26th January 2022), the 10 working days given in the 'Further steps notice' has elapsed (25th January 2022). I rarely receive mail and therefore I don't regularly check my mailbox. However, I decided to take a look today as I suspected I missed a Royal Mail delivery. I intend on calling the number on the letter at the earliest appropriate time in the morning and dealing with this matter. I'm desperate to right my previous wrongs as I've worked hard to deal with my anxiety by beginning therapy. However, like many others in this thread, I'm worried about the prospect of having a criminal record. I'm 26 years only and I don't have any previous convictions nor have I had any trouble with the law. I have a real love for the service TfL provides and I'm capable of listing off an endless stream of related trivia. I have no previous run ins with TfL and regularly travel on the network and pay the correct, full fare each time.    I'm worried about how this will affect my future in regards to employment and my intention of naturalising as a British citizen (I've been in the UK for 20 years now).   I'll note my primary questions below and would truly appreciate your advice.   a) If I get in contact with the number on the letter as soon as possible, will that be too late despite the close proximity to the deadline?   b) What would be the best potential approach to resolving this issue? (I'm unable to pay the amount in as a lump sum.)   c) If I were successful in arranging a payment plan/somehow paying the amount in full, how would that affect the court proceedings? Would this still result in a criminal record?   d) I've seen other threads which mention OOC settlements with TfL, would this be an option despite receipt of a 'Further steps notice' letter?   e) Should I end up in court or have the opportunity to speak to someone over the phone - will I be able to explain my circumstance and plead for leniency?   f) What other general steps would you suggest I take at this stage to mitigate the consequences?   Apologies for this post being so long, I wanted to include as much relevant detail as possible and I'm more than happy to provide any that's missing. I don't want to make excuses for myself. I completely accept I'm in the wrong for allowing things to get to this stage, despite the difficulty I had with my mental state but I want to do right by myself and deal with this. I'll post regular updates and be sure to include a conclusion once I deal with the matter regardless of the outcome.   Thank you in advance for looking at this post, I really do appreciate what you do.   IMG_2609.pdf
    • The worrying aspect is that they could well run away ... then a few months down the line, knowing full well you'd moved, sue you at your old address, knowing you would lose by default.  Therefore I suggest sending the above letter off on Thursday if the other regulars don't disagree, then on Saturday another one to just UKPM     Dear UK Car Park Management Limited,   re: PCN no.XXXXX   please note that I no longer live at XXXXX but that my new address is XXXXX.   Yours,
    • How about -     Dear Will & John,   Re: your reference XXXXX, vehicle registration XXXXX   cheers for your Letter Before Claim.  I rolled around on the floor in mirth at the idea you thought I would actually take such bilge seriously and then cough up.   Now you know and I know and now you know that I know all the reasons why these residential parking claims are utter pants.   Your thicko client, UKPM, have been hammered in court so many times in these cases, but if they haven't learnt their lesson and want another thrashing, fine, bring it on.   I see the government this week dropped tests for fully-vaccinated travellers returning to the UK, so if your client is daft enough to take me to court then I will delight in tolchocking them, then obtaining an unreasonable costs order under CPR 27.14(2)(g), spending it all on a foreign holiday, and then laughing at your client's expense while I down my aperitivi.   I look forward to your deafening silence.   COPIED TO UK CAR PARK MANAGEMENT LIMITED     Gladstone's and UKPM are well aware of where these letters originate from and that they would have a real battle on in court, so lately have always run away ... although of course there are no guarantees.   However, hang on through tomorrow and see what the other regulars think.
    • 'Walk the ice, take risks and do it quickly'View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Recommended Topics

Ruthbridge

caine52

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

My son took out a loan with Egg in 2002 which he defaulted on. He then left home and neither him or ourselves have not been in contact or made any payments since 2004 regarding this loan.

Well out of the blue we got a letter from Ruthbridge addressed to the occupper asking us to phone a freephone number, which we didnt. Two days later anothetr letter arrived which we didnt open but was able to read through the envolope stating that our son owed £7300 on an Egg Loan and that unless they received the full amont in 7 days they would that legal action.

A few days later came another letter which we didnt open but read as before. This states that if they do not hear from us or receive payment 7 days they will bankcrupt and send balliffs in to remove goods from our house.

My questions are Can they enter my house although my son doesnt live here and can they remove property that doesnt belong to him?

My gut feeling is to ignore there letters completely

Having said that I cannot endorse anybody borrowing money and not paying it back. My main gripe is that Egg gave him a loan of £3ooo at 18 yoa and earning next to nothing, it seems its alright to bail them out but not their victims

Hi and welcome to CAG. Sorry you were missed. I will move this thread to the debt collection forum wher you will get more help.

Based on what you have said, this debt could well be Statute Barred.

Can you double check the dates (if possible) Can your son get a copy of his credit report?

Once you are certain of your dates, we can give you a letter to send them

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Ruthless and their empty puerile threats again eh! Seems these fools have bought themselves a recent portfolio of lemons!!

As you will rightly have surmised, these fools have absolutely no intention or possible credence in pursuing their lost cat, least of all any alleged debt, which may be statute barred, as are the others i have heard and read of them trying to chase.

If it is anything like their other hilarious play school crayonings and threatens that you should seek legal advice and ask four questions two of which are "What can a Bailiff take" and "can a bailiff be used" then for their foolish attempt to intimidate and threaten your son you should complain to the OFT&TS via http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

Nothing they like to dream of will or can ever happen, they are deluded, and live in their own little fluffy world.

NO they CANNOT enter your house. IF they turn up CALL THE POLICE 999, and report them as a person breaching the peace.

NO they cannot remove ANYTHING they are NOT court certified bailiffs, they are tin pot debt collectors who have less legal powers than a hamster.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for reply

My son does not have orginal agreement but we know the loan is 8 yrs old by his dauthers age and was defaulted on early in the agreement. He has checked his credit report and it is clear.

Would I be better holding off any sending of letters or contact as they are still looking at the wrong address.

Thanks

Hi there

If they have the wrong address then that's THEIR PROBLEM. In fact you could report them for sending out Confidential data to "3rd parties" in contravention of the various Data Protection acts.

It's THEIR responsibility to ensure their communications gets sent to the correct people -- it's not yours at all.

Apart from the fact the debt is surely STATUTE BARRED in any case. Ensure you son does not acknowlege the debt in any way or make even a token payment until you (or preferable he) has checked via SAR the last payment made on the account.

If it's Statute Barred then thats the end of it.

Cheers

jimbo

Any entry on a credit file only lasts for six years then auto drops off, so if the file is clear this might be a good indicator that it is SB??

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for replys

With a Credit Report entry is it only to the person involved or to the address. My sons report is clear but could it be linked to other people at the same address and would I need to check my Credit Report as well?

Thanks

A credit report is for the individual, has he checked with all three CRA's? Or just Experian?

Hello

Just the one dca.

Can a DCA put a default on a credit reference or must it be the company that the loan was taken out with?

Thanks

Initially it should have been the original creidtor but once a debt is sold, the DCA will replace the creditors name with their own although the date should stay the same

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Hello

Thanks

If the credit report is clear meaning the orginal creditor did not add a default notice or it is over 6yrs old and has dropped off the report. Can the dca add a default notice with todays date?

Hello

Thanks

If the credit report is clear meaning the orginal creditor did not add a default notice or it is over 6yrs old and has dropped off the report. Can the dca add a default notice with todays date?

NO.

Any default placed needs to be done within a 6 month period of the cause of default (first missed payment) If they add a default after that, you have grounds for complaint (The later the default date, the more serious the complaint)

DCAs should NOT have the ability to place ANY markers on peoples CRA files but sadly they are using this to their advantage. I am going to chase up about my petition to stop them being able to do this.

It sounds as if this debt is statute barred and they are clutching at straws hoping your son doesn't know his rights.

Keep us posted and don't forget to complain complain complain to the authorities.

Hello! Re DCAs putting stuff on credit reports. I had occasion to check my report recently, and went on to Experian and Creditcallcheck. On both, there were more than 14 occasions on which Lowells had looked at my report over a six month period. As I've nothing outstanding on any of my credit agreements, I was stunned by this apparent obsession with my credit record, and queried with both credit reference agencies as to whether legitimate checkers would see these numerous enquiries. They both assured me no, no one but myself would see these, but I'm so cynical, I'm not convinced! I wrote to Lowell to ask for an explanation, but unsurprisingly, I've not had any response from them. It's like they're just lurking in the background, waiting to pounce.

Then you should enter into the CRA's complaints procedure and have them explain why they think it is OK for them to allow their bosom buddies to search peoples credit files without the owners permission, these CRA's are really a law unto themselves, they need to clean up their act.

Agreed, Bazooka Boo - most of the DCAs I've come across have a great deal to answer for. My partner continues to be bombarded by CRS for a debt that has never existed, and a colleague is being hounded by LCS for another non-existent debt sold to them by British Gas and dating back three years, all pertaining to a property owned by our employer. I do wish they all had effective research departments, and effective liaison with the companies who sell the alleged debts on before the alleged debtor even knows about them. Grrrrrr!

Debt collectors don't have effective research departments because they cost money and contribute nothing towards the profit line. Plus they don't care and the authorities let them get away with it. It all adds up to a very slipshod industry which creates anguish for those at the receiving end. Now a system of fines or pounts for each trangression like for motoring offences might bring the barstewards into line.

The disgraceful behaviour of Diamond and Jenkins (Barclays) in front of the Commons Select Committee yesterday along with Hester's obscene bonus scenario at RBS says it all about this totally totally amoral malignancy that is the "finance industry". Not one ounce of common decency or humanity amongst the lot of them just greed and avarice.

regards

oilyrag.

They'd never cough up, though, NailPost!! My other half is still waiting on a reply from CRS to a letter sent in October 2010 putting an alleged debt into dispute, demanding a copy of the original credit agreement etc. It's just laughable.

The disgraceful behaviour of Diamond and Jenkins (Barclays) in front of the Commons Select Committee yesterday along with Hester's obscene bonus scenario at RBS says it all about this totally totally amoral malignancy that is the "finance industry". Not one ounce of common decency or humanity amongst the lot of them just greed and avarice.

regards

oilyrag.

I watched Mr Diamond and he was not convincing, he was clearly rattled by the MP asking about tax avoidance and how many offshore companies Barclays had set up to avoid tax....

With regards to the petition mentioned I have again entered it into the government website and have put the wording

Only the original creditor should be able to place a mark on our credit files. Once they sell the debt it should be marked as SOLD and no further bad marks placed on the account.