Advice required on rent owed for a room I no longer live in

Koph

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone!

Wonder if anyone can give me some advice... here goes:

I started Swansea Uni in Sept and rented out a room in a student house. I unfortunately got homesick and no longer wanted to be there. I signed a contract with the Letting Agency and now they ask 260 pounds of me each month up until June when the contract expires (thank God!); they say if I fail to pay the rent they will pass it on to a debt collection agency, I'm just wondering if anything can be done to prevent this? Obviously I don't want to be paying rent for a room I'm no longer in. I tried reasoning with the agency and asked of them to advertise my room as best they can, yet, when I checked their website the room isn't even listed. I have posted various adverts on Gumtree and other sites advertising the room but have had no joy in finding someone to take it. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this before and if they can offer any guidance or advice,

Thanks for your help

P.S. I hope I've posted this in the right section, apologies if I haven't...

Sophie

Hi Koph

Welcome to CAG

Unfortunately you entered into a contract and the Letting Agency is trying to hold you to it (As they're entitled too) so my thoughts are you're stuck

They do seem to be being unreasonable as I'm pretty sure they could re let the room if they tried, seems a bit strange that you can't find the room on their list but then again if the Agents class it as being let it wont show

I don't know if there's a particular forum for this sort of thing but I'm sure more info will follow in the mean time maybe a trip to the CAB might help

Not the best start to the year

Good luck

R

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] I asked them to wait whilst I got my Bank card :violin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information that may help if a CCA request is refused due to the lack of a signature . . http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?248863-Signature-demands-fight-back-possible-!&highlight=