• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Payday Mess **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4667 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have now got a reply from then saying all Interest and fees will be froze and no payments taken aslong as the Payment arrangement is kept up

One down, Two to go

Be careful! I had a payment plan is place with WDA. And an agreement to freeze interest and charges etc. However on Xmas day thay took the entire lot plus another £100.00 interest. When i called them all i got was a very arrogant reponse (of course they were very happy they had just taken a lump of money) and was told i had not made an agreement to freeze interest and charges! Yeah right.

Foolish me didn't get this agreement in writing - it was agreed over the phone. I've since been in touch with OFT and WDA who have simply ignored my e mails. No replies. Nothing. I've requested transcripts of all calls and subsequent conversations that have taken place - no reply.

They think they've got the money plus a nice wad on top but i'm not going to let this go.

Be aware, you are dealing with unsrcuperlous, devious and dishonest liars..............in my opion that sums up the vast majority, if not all, pay day lenders.

Ask for anything and evrything you agree to put in writing. Whilst you owe them money they'll play ball. Don't pay them anything unless you have agreements in writing.

Fireflyer

Thanks for that advice fireflyer

After reading many posts I have took steps to stop this as I agree that the only reason they are bieng nice is because I am in pole positon at the moment. However I have cancelled my Direct Debits, Reported Card lost in public and changed my wages to another account. The way I am paying them now is by Standing Order which I have been told they cannot get any details of my new bank account this way.

I do believe that Wage Day however are planning on maybe trying to take the full amount form old bank(they can try as wil get nowhere). I also expect them to try and take a Debit card Payment(again try all you want). And I suspect they will try and add charges or interest on somewhere and be sneaky but I have got documentation the exact amount that was owed this month so they can whistle for anymore off me.

Another question that has come to mind regarding the other paydays and them not getting back to me about a payment plan. I have seen on here some people regardless whether they have agreed a payplan or not start paying the monthly amount to the payday company. Now I can see the advantage to this as you are paying it off and if it takes 3 months to agree a payplan you have paid 3 months off the loan already.

However I am worried about this as if I start paying a certain amount to these other companies and have not got it in writing that Interest and Charges are frozen, then if they take that money plus keep charging Interest/Charges am I digging myself a hole as they can turn around and say they never agreed to a payplan or to freeze Interest/Charges and they hav enow got a good portion of the loan back.

My other option was to take this money I would of paid them had they agreed to a payplan and put it in savings and then once they agree to my terms I have this money saved up.

On top of that am I best to pay this lump sum form the off or stick to monthly payments and use the savings as a chunk payoff at the end. The reason I ask this is I dont want to agree say £100 a month and on the 2nd month say pay £200 and they question why I can pay more and try to argue I should be paying more every month.

I can see where you are coming from, it is a good idea to put the money to one side and just in case they don't agree to a plan you could try a full and final of the original loan.

They do like to try it on with the additional fees and interest but it really is not worth their while to have long payment plans, 3 to 6 months sounds reasonable to anyone, anymore and you may as well sit tight until they start getting court orders.

I am in the same position as the OP. I have now have debts with several different pay day loan companies. I got myself into a stupid mess, and I really need to stop the circle before it gets even worse.

So from what I gather in this thread, it is best to change your account and then email the companies asking to pay a monthly amount. What is the best way to pay the money to them? It would seem risky to change bank accounts and then give them the new information to them for the payments. Also, is there a template letter available to send to the companies? I hope this doesn't come across as hijacking the OP's thread, but it seemed sensible to post in here since it is of the same nature.

I've never been in debt before, so I am a little scared and freaked out.

1) call your bank report it lost / stolen and ask them to cancel the old one and send you a new one

2) contact the lenders with an offer, tell them you are unable to meet the agreed payments and have worked out that if they can freeze interest and charges you can pay x amount per month for x number of months

3) you will need to ask for their sort code and account numbers to be able to pay them directly so yo have control over the payments (as long as you pay on time religously that should be fine)

4) confirm the offers in email and start payments

5) PAYDAY UK are one of the easiest to deal with. on the day you default call them up and give your offer then ask for bank details and email confirmation

TXT Loan are awful, i assume you owe them £110.00 - its not worth the hassle in my opinion

Payday Express - contact them before payday by email and follow up on the phone, if the plan goes over 6 - 10 months they should accept

Lending Stream - as above

Capital One Finance - as above

keep us posted london lady!!

Okay so not updated for a while so thought I would give one

So far nothing much has happened.

Wage Day Advance I have agreed the Payment plan and all setup ready to go

Pounds Till Payday have not got back to me apart from saying they have forwarded my Email to the collections department but they don't email so I will have to call them

Wonga have replied saying they cannot arrange a payment plan until the due date as to give me a chance to settle it. I have replied telling them I cannot afford pay it or extend it becasue of the interest charged and to give me their bank details to start payments. Wonga have called me but I didn't answer and just emailed them stating this

So far I have heard nothing back from the 2 outstanding so I am not sure what to do. As at the moment I have no bank details to start paying them to at least show I am willing to settle it.

So in terms of these should I just wait now till they try and take it and it defaults and go form there

Pounds til Payday will pass to Clarity after an amount of time. I owed them £400 and they accepted £20 a month. Nice.

I was in a similar mess as you last year but I did the same, set up payment plans and 6 months later I was free.

It's a hard slog but more than worth it.

Remember never, ever, to get one again though. No matter what.

I cant beleive Wonga are allowed to refuse to accept an arrangement until you default.

Its just an excuse to add interest and charges, to say its to give you a chance to find the money and pay is plain stupid. you know if you can afford it or not

• 4 weeks later...

So I have not posted for a while but thought I would give people an update.

Worst news was my proposed plan to pay the One Month Loan to eliminate at least one loan but due to emergency repairs on my car I cannot afford to pay them now.

So all four Loans have defaulted and the update is

One Month Loan - Have already started adding charges/interest and I have stated I cannot pay the full amount back if they keep doing this. They have offered me a 5 month repayment but they have added interest and charges which make the monthly payment near 150 which I have said I can only afford 50 so will see what they say.

Wonga - These have insisted on sending 3/4 emails stating I need to pay and I have emailed them back to state I need to start repayments but they seem to be ignoring this and saying phone us to speak to one of our friendly staff so have emailed back again and will wait. They have sent a letter stating they have charged me extra charges/interest so will see what happens

PoundstilPayday - Again these have been sending emails since default demanding there money and I have stated I need to setup a payment plan. They have replied stating due to the nature of there company they dont offer payment plans and will send to an external debt collecter if it continues. I have replied saying it is a total lie you cant accept a payment plan and that I will wait till it goes to a third party and discuss the matter with them.

WageDayAdvance - I had a payment plan setup and made my 1st payment fine and got a receipt off them. Funnily enough the ony one out of the 4 to try and setup a DD on my account was Wageday but didnt work and I cancelled it. I emailed them a very angry email and got one back with lots of apologies and that it was the system and wont happen again

So I am playing the waiting game at the moment and have realised the Charges/Interest will scarily rise while I am sorting this but I am ready to argue the interest and think that even if there is some interest I would rather pay a large sum back over 5/6 months than the smaller amount all in one.

I have worked out my finances and with the payment plans I have setup reay when they accept I should be clear of them by June

Is there anything I should be doing while I wait, is it a good idea to speak to them now or keep it to Emails

Edited by Super_Ram

So a further update incase this helps anyone,

I have since the last post which was on the 5th just forwarded the same simple email to them everyday stating they need to contact me regarding my payment arrangement and I would not be able to start paying anything until this was agreed.

So finally I have got somewhere with them.

Wageday as already said I have a payment arrangement setup and that is going fine and to be reviewed after 3 months, however with a work bonus coming in June and being financially much better from that month onwards I dont think they will have any issue extending the £50 a month for one more month and then I will clear the remaining debt in June. Might I add on this one that the only charge i got was for £35 so that was a relief.

Wonga have now agreed this morning to let me pay £50 a month and then clear the balance down in June and there charges were an extra £95 which I accepted to get something in motion

Onemonthloan have sent a payment plan this morning stating the new balance whihc actually charges me and extra £180 on top of original balance and have said £50 a month for 2 month and then payment doubles after that. I have replied saying this is unacceptable in terms of I can only afford £50 amonth till june and the extra charges are excessive seen as I informed them of the payment difficulty well before loan due date. I made it clear that a debt agency and CAB have advised me to pay a lot less a month and keep to thes epayments till original balance cleared, which means I do not pay the remaining off in june or accept the extra charges. I told them I will be contacting OFT about this unless something can be agreed.

Suprise Suprise as I write this reply they have replied to me reducing the charges down to £80 which is not ideal but acceptable to get the payment started and also agreed I pay £50 a month till june and then clear the balance.

Pounds Til Payday have not budged and state they cannot accept payment plans and will be passed to a debt company so I am just send the same email everyday till they either accept orpass to a debt company so I can deal with them.

In terms of contacts who were very helpful for me on the different loan companies they were:

Wonga

errol.damelin

balanceoffer

john.hegarty

tarik.abdellah

One Month Loan

hkeens

Wage Day Advance

paul.myers

Pounds Till Payday

No helpful contact that I know

Hope this helps people

• 4 months later...

Pounds Till Payday do not offer rollovers or extensions as listed in the terms and conditions. Once your repayment date has passed and your loan has not been paid, you will be assigned an account manager who will contact you regarding your loan payment. PTP will be able to hold on to your file for a limited period, in which it is advisable to deal with PTP directly to arrange payment. Once this time period has passed, and your loan has not been paid, your file may be passed on to a third party collection agency who may operate door to door. If you have any queries regarding your overdue payment, kindly contact Pounds Till Payday directly on 0800 234 69 55.

Door to door collectors are not bailiffs and have very little powers. You are not obliged to let them in and sign paperwork on the doorstep orin your own house. There is a simple letter to send revoking any implied right they may have to visit you.

If you do get somebody round you can always explain that you need to record the conversation, and use video tape as appropriate....

Many door to door collectors work on commission only and can be very aggressive. They should carry ID with them which includes details of the CCL Licence they are using.

Pounds Till Payday do not offer rollovers or extensions as listed in the terms and conditions. Once your repayment date has passed and your loan has not been paid, you will be assigned an account manager who will contact you regarding your loan payment. PTP will be able to hold on to your file for a limited period, in which it is advisable to deal with PTP directly to arrange payment. Once this time period has passed, and your loan has not been paid, your file may be passed on to a third party collection agency who may operate door to door. If you have any queries regarding your overdue payment, kindly contact Pounds Till Payday directly on 0800 234 69 55.

Deal directly with PTP to arrange a payment?? Sorry, but that's just a load of old bo**ocks. This is what I was quoted by one of PTP's staff

"In response to your email Pounds till Payday will not offer any Payment Plans, Roll overs or extensions".

So don't try and make out that you lot are helpful.

• 4 weeks later...