Landlord responsibility towards noise issues?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4834 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if this is the right place to put this...so if it needs to be moved....

I have recently moved into Social sector housing, a housing association property...a 1st floor flat.

There have been some issues with the resident below......

Basically the flats appear to be quite cheap construction and noise transmission is high. However the guy downstairs doesn't complain to the HA....he either starts slamming his own doors, shouting aggressive threats, or has in the past knocked on my door to enquire what the noise was....once it was my microwave!

He has even told me that my snoring keeps him awake at night!

Now, due to the aggressive threats i have had to complain to the HA, who assure me that if he keeps it up he will get evicted!

This isn't really something i want to happen.....it's not his fault the flats have high noise transmission, but nor is it mine. I constantly feel like i am walking on eggshells to avoid upsetting the guy below...the comment about my snoring really unsettled me as it made feel like i couldn't even sleep without disturbing him! It is beginning to become quite stressful....having to think about every movement i make in case it creates too much noise!

My question is what liability do the HA have to do something about the issue of the noise transmission?

I have done some investigation myself and found that it could cost less than £1000 to install some domestic soundproofing that would drastically reduce the amount of impact and airborne noise transmission.....which might prove to be the difference between the guy downstair getting evicted and my peace of mind!

It would seem there is very little you can actually do (in respect of lessening the noise), quite clearly all you are doing is bhaving normally, its not like you are having all night partied. It may well be there are certain terms you have to comply with about noise but i doubt you have broken them where as your neighbour may well have bropken them by behaving aggressive.

I'm a bit knowledgabel about nosie issues when it comes to leasehold pro[perties, and in that respect they rely upon wording of the leases (for eaxmple amny prohibit wooden flooring as the noise travels) but I know less about rental properties.

Hopefully someone else can provide you with further information.

Andy

What i'm really looking for is some way of getting the Housing Association to install some soundproofing......if i could afford it, i would do it myself!

Surely if they are aware of the problem they have a responsibility to attempt to resolve it rather than just evicting people who have a low tolerance level?

You would think so wouldnt you or perhaps even the original house builders. unfortunatly new houses are build out of paper these days, Im glad mine is quite an old victorian building, I can only hear my neighbour when shes shouting at the kids !.

As a thought perhaps try visiting www.landlordzone.co.uk they have many clued up people, I normally lurk in the Long Leasehold section but I'm sure there is a section for rental properties.

Andy

Hi There

what everyone seems to be forgetting you says the sound disruption is throught the building you are in and all properties are affected by this issue.

If every tenant is affected put complaint after complaint in but put it in writing as this affect all tenants try to get together as a group and complain even a petition signed by all tenants in the Building.

Also your HA were wrong for even telling you that the neighbour concerned could be evicted as thats the courts decision not theres.

Also contact your Local Councils Enviromental Health Department as a lot of Councils have Noise Teams that have specialized equipment that can tell the nosie levels.

Hope this helps

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group