• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
    • Hi DX - quick question, what is the bank likely to do when they get my letter of change of address ? also what is the worst they can do? thanks J1L
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Car Sold Without Permission by Mechanic - Any Help Would be Appreciated

Hapster
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4825 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friends car was taken to a mechanic (who is a taxi driver who does repairs on the side!) to repair the lock. The log book and documentation was in the glove box. He sold the car after a few weeks without any mention to my friend or consent. My friend informed the police and said this was a civil matter and should pursue it through the small claims court.

However, I would have thought this is fraud, decption and theft as he is posing as the owner which he is not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi hapster

Welcome to CAG

Thread moved. The guys will advise as soon as they are available. Well it's clearly obtaining the car by deception, saying they are going to fix it then sell it. I'd get back onto the police.

A friends car was taken to a mechanic (who is a taxi driver who does repairs on the side!) to repair the lock. The log book and documentation was in the glove box. He sold the car after a few weeks without any mention to my friend or consent. My friend informed the police and said this was a civil matter and should pursue it through the small claims court.

However, I would have thought this is fraud, decption and theft as he is posing as the owner which he is not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If this is exactly all there is to it then I suggest you advise your friend that he is indeed a victim of a crime and as such it is deffo a police matter. The 'mechanic' has wilfully deprived the owner use of his/her property by selling it to another which is contary to the theft act I believe. The vehicle would still be the property of your friend and as such should be recovered by the police. If the police attempt to fob him off again, advise him to insist he speaks to a senior officer or he make an official complaint.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

If he's a taxi driver I would also try reporting to the local licensing authority.

For what reason? Unless he gets convicted of a crime, they won't be interested.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Thanks for your replies......that is my thought it was deception.....i will indeed get thim to contact the police........the police are in for an easy ride and if they can fob people off they will.

Perhaps take a step back and tell why he sold it. At the moment I see this as a civil dispute, perhaps the garage trying to recover outstanding monies???? Theft.......definately not at the moment. One must keep an open mind before condeming!!!

Perhaps take a step back and tell why he sold it. At the moment I see this as a civil dispute, perhaps the garage trying to recover outstanding monies???? Theft.......definately not at the moment. One must keep an open mind before condeming!!!

As I understand it this is not a garage but a taxi driver who does repairs if it is a proper garage and the bill is not paid they do have the right to sell the goods but the taxi driver would not.

I very nearly posted my first response (#5) on these lines also helio but decided to contribute according to the OP's info. As far as I am concerned, I havn't condemed anybody. If the circumstances are as the OP has posted, then I stand by my earlier advice. However if there is more to this then the OP should tell us the whole story if he wants the correct info.

Please Note

As I understand it this is not a garage but a taxi driver who does repairs if it is a proper garage and the bill is not paid they do have the right to sell the goods but the taxi driver would not.

No they do not! They are entitled to not release the car untill payment is made for work they have done but they cannot just sell someone's property without taking legal action first.

Please Note

Doesn't matter whether a garage or a private individual, I believe they have the same rights to recover though whether it has been done correctly would seem doubtful. I don't believe my post implied that you had condemed him Sam, purely that the original post seems rather odd. It's the jumping to conclussions without full knowledge of the facts which seem to be a bit lacking here and perhaps the OP should make clear the full story.

Doesn't matter whether a garage or a private individual, I believe they have the same rights to recover though whether it has been done correctly would seem doubtful. I don't believe my post implied that you had condemed him Sam, purely that the original post seems rather odd. It's the jumping to conclussions without full knowledge of the facts which seem to be a bit lacking here and perhaps the OP should make clear the full story.

Yes, I agree that the original post is rather odd. But that is the info the OP has chosen to give us. I can only give advice from the information I have been given and that is what I have done in this thread so far and not jumped to any conclussions. If my opinion is flawed in anyway, it is due to further information which the OP has chosen not to give us which is hardly our fault.

The seekers of advice have an obligation to us caggers in giving the total complete story from the very first post if they want our help which we give our time free in providing. Personally, I am going to concentrate my efforts in helping those whose plights are made less time consuming by giving the total picture when they first ask for help.

Please Note

I was thinking the same, How long does it take to repair a lock and why wait several weeks?

Charging storage fee's? I bought a car from a garage like that, Had been towed in & had the head gasket done.

Paying for my fuel i enquired about the car as i was looking for one, He said want to buy that one for £250. Told me what happened

I applied for the logbook which came quite quickly and paid for the car.

He said the garage bill and storage charges would far outweigh the cost of the car if the owner decided to cause trouble.

I was thinking the same, How long does it take to repair a lock and why wait several weeks?

Charging storage fee's? I bought a car from a garage like that, Had been towed in & had the head gasket done.

Paying for my fuel i enquired about the car as i was looking for one, He said want to buy that one for £250. Told me what happened

I applied for the logbook which came quite quickly and paid for the car.

He said the garage bill and storage charges would far outweigh the cost of the car if the owner decided to cause trouble.

This does not make you the legal owner. The garage either needs to have given adequate notice (and proof of) to the owner to dispose of the car to cover any outstanding debt OR a CCJ. Did you see or have a copy of either of these?

Please Note

The garage had the car in their posession for at least 2 months after repairing it, They contacted the owner every week

to see when they were going to collect the car, They made various excuses.

The garage owner got fed up of moving the car in and out every day,

The previous owner obviously did not contest the application for a logbook, As they would have been sent a form

saying someone is trying to re-register a car they still have paperwork for.

I didnt ask for proof as the garage owner had been in that premises for as long as i can remember and still there to this day.

I knew he would have given me my money back if the owner decided to cause trouble. I also knew the garage bill was way

over what the car was worth, Even before he added storage costs.

Anyway the oil pump failed a few years later and i fitted a V8 instead. That was easier that it sounded.