Tax Credit Overpayment - help!

gbean2871
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4853 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone! Happy New Year!

I had a letter threatening court action if we don't repay £1400 which was overpaid to us in 2004/5 (bearing in mind we told them the correct information and THEY were the ones who got it all wrong). We disputed it twice over the last few years but they turned us down each time, continuing to pay us a measly £39 a month, even when my husband was made redundant!

We haven't heard any more from them for a year or so until now. Obviously their offices are closed for new year but I wonder if any of you could offer advice on how we should pay approach paying it back.

We can't pay the full amount by 2nd Feb which is what they want us to do. I certainly don't want to end up in court. Do you think we could offer to pay £40 a month or something like that? Any more than that and we will be struggling.

Is this sort of payment usually acceptable? I'd even be happy for them to stop paying us anything until we catch up.

All help will be much appreciated.

If its any consolation I got the same letter for about 2900!. I asked for a SAR which they sent but was the biggest load of computer printout garbage I have ever seen. They dont seem to be able to tell me how calculations for tax credits are worked out. I havent had any form of tax credits since 2004. On one of the forms they send you to fill in each year it said any overpayments will be taken out of future payments, the whole thing is bizarre to say the least. Any help would be appreciated as what to do next.

Hi everyone! Happy New Year!

I had a letter threatening court action if we don't repay £1400 which was overpaid to us in 2004/5 (bearing in mind we told them the correct information and THEY were the ones who got it all wrong). We disputed it twice over the last few years but they turned us down each time, continuing to pay us a measly £39 a month, even when my husband was made redundant!

We haven't heard any more from them for a year or so until now. Obviously their offices are closed for new year but I wonder if any of you could offer advice on how we should pay approach paying it back.

We can't pay the full amount by 2nd Feb which is what they want us to do. I certainly don't want to end up in court. Do you think we could offer to pay £40 a month or something like that? Any more than that and we will be struggling.

Is this sort of payment usually acceptable? I'd even be happy for them to stop paying us anything until we catch up.

All help will be much appreciated.

Hi, till Erika answers just found this i hope it is up to date. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/cop26.pdf
  • Haha 1

I don't really have anything useful to add, as it's all in the leaflet that tawnyowl posted - the leaflet was printed in July 2010 and I can confirm that it is still current.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)