Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

these are my thoughts also

how can barclays sell on a loan that is in dispute? in barclays last letter to me they stated they would not write to me again about this matter, at the time I wondered why they wrote this.

But my stance is still the same I will not pay for something I did not want or receive, marlin can threaten me all they like I am still out of work same as I was at the time of applying for the advent course.

advent went bust weeks after I signed up for the course and the loan, they must have known at that time they was going bust and must have falsified the paperwork otherwise I would not have been approved for a loan, barclays was/is jointly and severely liable.. so if marlin have brought the loan then they must also have brought the responsibilities and must also be just as liable.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also can I give a link to this site below, I know its been linked before but in case people new to the site or have not come across it..

It discusses an example.. a clear example.. of similar situation as what has happened with students of advent and barclays partner finance trying to force us to accept a solution to their problem.

http://www.lacors.gov.uk/lacors/ContentDetails.aspx?id=24854

Also I mention the company names again for the search engines to find this thread

Advent Computer Training

Computeach

Clydesdale Bank

Barclays Partner Finance

Apex

Marlin Financial services

Hi all, I too received the wonderful letter from BPF/ Marlin. Again my case is still with the FOS, so for BPF to pass on my details to a DCA is a complete joke. In matters of dispute no party is legally allowed to passed on details to a DCA when the matter is still being disputed through a financial mediator. I will over the next couple of days be writting to the FOS to inform them of this tactic. As for Marlin I shall be telling them the same thing that I told BPF all along "take me to court" as I have no intention of giving a single penny for receiving a single book from Advent. As 10pack said Advent and BPF must have known that they had financial issues yet carried on taking on new students.

Did anyone manage to get an Advent rep to make a statement to in regards to the term extension?

I remember asking the salesman a question to this very end, he replied that Advent would allow for the contract to be extended if it was required to complete the course. The way he said it made me believe that extensions were very common and were never turned down.

I have also recieved this joyous news through the post today, sounds like it will be more fun (groan) in the next few months. It will be interesting to see just how much information Marlin actually have regarding the circumstances that we face, or for that matter if they will even have a clue what the loans were for in the first place.

I will wait to see whether they employ the same empty threat tactics as BPF did before deciding my strategy. If they try to take me to court, then I will send off a CCA request, SAR etc, my gut tells me they will have nothing presentable.

what intrigues me is both letters arrive in same envelope if they are separate companies I would have expected separate postings.

Even when Mercers (barclays) tried to strong arm us they sent the own mail.. even arrived in same delivery from post man.. one letter from barclays saying they will look into my complaint the other from Mercers threatening me with court action.. even had same post code :-D

I'm informed that Mercers are Barclays in-house dca.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I'm informed that Mercers are Barclays in-house dca.

Yes that's true they are even registered at the same address.

my point was even though they are the same company they still posted pretending to be separate companies, and at that time while my account was in dispute with barclays.. threatening letters arrived from mercers which is not allowed under rules and regulations its harrassment.. barclays will go to any lengths to screw their customers without a second thought.

Hey Guys check this out.. the Marlin - Barclays link..

http://www.blacktipcapital.com/4_january_2010.html

And this bit... is Marlin it in debt to Barclays?... it has a slightly different name but I would not be surprised if its another branch of the same company so they can hide what they are doing.

http://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/marlin-services

Marlins previous trading name was..

BLACK TIP CAPITAL PORTFOLIO (UK) LIMITED

Date changed: 14/11/2006

but I dont believe it because I noticed there was a credit check done my me last year by a company with a name.. Lowell Portfolio I Ltd

Edited by 10pack

I have also received the letters from Barclays and Merlin. Haven't been on the forum for about a year. Was hoping people may be regrouping for the next battle. Good to see that is the case. I, too, have ridden out the threats from Barclays, Mercers, Apex I think was another one. I intend to see this mob off as well. Do people think it's best to give them the heads-ups and tell them the background to the debt, or sit and wait for their next move/

I have also received the letters from Barclays and Merlin. Haven't been on the forum for about a year. Was hoping people may be regrouping for the next battle. Good to see that is the case. I, too, have ridden out the threats from Barclays, Mercers, Apex I think was another one. I intend to see this mob off as well. Do people think it's best to give them the heads-ups and tell them the background to the debt, or sit and wait for their next move/

Yes I also thought Barclays had given up since had not heard from them for over a year, I was asking last year if anyone had a statement from them informing you of how much you was in arrears etc.. I did not get one and have had no communication in answer to letter I sent end of 2011 they just ignored it.

I phoned Marlin and her first words were "are you calling to arrange payment?"

The rep I spoke with seemed to have no idea about what was going on though she mentioned that Barclays had offered an alternative company for training, when I explained my situation said she would but my details to her supervisor.

I mentioned that all of the customers they have brought from Barclays will also be like mine in dispute, and that Barclays are too arrogant to actually communicate with us and so have sold off the debt to get some money back.

I forgot to ask for a copy of the deed of assignment, but I did ask if Marlin having brought the debt and have now all the claim to my loan.. does this also mean they have the same liabilities as Barclays? ie to be jointly and serverly liable.. she evaded that question.

A couple of things spring to mind.

1. Have you officially disputed the debt? If so write to the DCA and tell them because its against guidelines to chase disputed debts but you MUST have officially disputed the debt for this and you can report them to the OFT if you' have.

2. Send them a letter telling them to prove you owe them the debt. You don't need to go into any detail about it. In fact probably best if you don't as it could be seen as acknowledgement that the alleged debt exists.

Finally - don't speak to them on the phone. If they phone you tell them you will only communicatfe in writing and put the phone down.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

A couple of things spring to mind.

1. Have you officially disputed the debt? If so write to the DCA and tell them because its against guidelines to chase disputed debts but you MUST have officially disputed the debt for this and you can report them to the OFT if you' have.

2. Send them a letter telling them to prove you owe them the debt. You don't need to go into any detail about it. In fact probably best if you don't as it could be seen as acknowledgement that the alleged debt exists.

Finally - don't speak to them on the phone. If they phone you tell them you will only communicatfe in writing and put the phone down.

The letters from barclays and marlin both state the debt has been transferred and marlin now have all rights to the loan.

I had originally disputed all of this with barclays much of which is documented on this forum.

barclays do not want to listen or pay, its been over a year now since we last communicated, from my last letter I sent to them over a year ago they have not responded.

I have already had 4 debt collecting agencies try to get me to pay and each one when challenged did not have the DCA.. Marlin claim to have brought the debt none of the others had, that is the difference this time.

Edited by 10pack

Thanks caro for the tip, will get a short letter out to Marlin asking them for proof of debt. On another note my case is still with the FOS, can they legally sell of a so called debt to a DCA whilst this is happening??

The fact it's with FOS proves its disputed so write to marlin and tell them that if they contact you again you will report them to the office of fair trading.

10pack I'm not aware of time limits for complaining to FOS as long as you've exhausted the banks complaints procedure. That said you'll have a long wait for a decision and no guarantee of the outcome.

Thanks Caro I will view all my options.

I will ask Marlin for DOA document since I do not view the letters from Barclays/Marlin as a legal document there is no name at the bottom and the signature is unreadable, (I still wonder why both letters arrived in same envelope something fishy about that.) I could knock up a document like this stating I had made full payment and then ask them to prove I had not paid.. and since they tried to do a run around with me before supposedly investigating my complaint while Mercers sent me demands for payment at the same time.. arrived in same post!.

I got trading standards onto them that time and they did not answer either myself or trading standards after that

Hi Guys

I phoned Marlin this morning asked for a copy of deed of assignment to be sent to me, the rep said that l did not need to have this document and that the letters from Barclays and themselves should be sufficient, I said this is not so since neither letter has a name or readable signature on them.

I then asked can you send me a copy of my credit agreement between myself and Barclays.. she checked on her computer and said sorry I cant see one on our system.

So I said without being able to supply a copy of my credit agreement or a copy of the deed of assignment how did they expect to ask me for money?

I pointed out that when I took out the finance I signed a document with Barclays it also has a signature from Barclays rep on it this is a legal document.

I said to her you cant provide me with any document I have asked for and the letters you are telling me should be sufficient to show transfer of the loan.. none have names and only one has a scribble for a signature, I told her I do not recognize owing any money to Marlin on this basis and I will be looking in touch with trading standards over this.

She said you can do this if you wish, she said she will pass on this information.

Nice one 10Pack, will be asking them the exact questions when I call them tomorrow. As I have said from very early on, If BPF feel that they have done nothing under-hand they should take all of us to court, I for one would look forward to that day as it will get them the bad publicity that they are so trying to avoid.

Nice one 10Pack, will be asking them the exact questions when I call them tomorrow. As I have said from very early on, If BPF feel that they have done nothing under-hand they should take all of us to court, I for one would look forward to that day as it will get them the bad publicity that they are so trying to avoid.

Ask them for a true signed copy of deed of assigment.

according to students website they must supply this on demand otherwise they are committing a criminal offense..

I want to check this on gov website for the wording to be sure though

I was re-reading the letters from barclay and marlin and noticed the letter from barclays states loan was transferred on 20th December 2012..

but BOTH letters sent in same envelope are dated 2nd January 2013..

I am wondering who printed these documents?

Hey everybody,

Well i never thought i would be back here but like the rest of you i have been contacted by Marlin and i thought i would come back and check to see what everybody else was upto. It has been quiet for well over a year and now Barclay's have started again, i am now being called daily by Marlin, anybody else experiencing this? I just told them my story and they said i still had to pay them even though i have not got anything to show for it, i told the woman that if Barclays knew they had something they would of took us all to court by now. I think we are all in for a difficult year but if we stick together i am sure we can win :whoo:

Hey everybody,

Well i never thought i would be back here but like the rest of you i have been contacted by Marlin and i thought i would come back and check to see what everybody else was upto. It has been quiet for well over a year and now Barclay's have started again, i am now being called daily by Marlin, anybody else experiencing this? I just told them my story and they said i still had to pay them even though i have not got anything to show for it, i told the woman that if Barclays knew they had something they would of took us all to court by now. I think we are all in for a difficult year but if we stick together i am sure we can win :whoo:

Yes Viper you are not alone

I have spoken with marlin and told them my beef is with barclays and to not get in the way but if they do then I will also report them to trading standards since I have informed them the account is in dispute and if the was to work to guidelines they should refer this back to barclays.

but I am not holding my breath, they think they can just throw threats around and we do what they ask.. sorry I know I am in the right and will go to court and where ever else this leads.

Yes Viper you are not alone

I have spoken with marlin and told them my beef is with barclays and to not get in the way but if they do then I will also report them to trading standards since I have informed them the account is in dispute and if the was to work to guidelines they should refer this back to barclays.

but I am not holding my breath, they think they can just throw threats around and we do what they ask.. sorry I know I am in the right and will go to court and where ever else this leads.

I am so glad to hear you are going to be fighing Marlin and Barclays also. I am like you 10pack, if they want to go to court then i will be up for that. I am just sick of them passing this case to debt collectors and getting them to hassle us and threaten us. If Barclays had any guts they would phone themselves and talk to us. There is no way i am going to be paying money for nothing, i don't have a computer course, they didn't give me any money, all i ever got was one book and if i am paying thousands for a book then that is the most expensive computer book in the world. Just wish more people would post, so i know what they are all doing and if they are getting hassled