Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3074 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok will dig that one out also, I seem to remember them (mercers) threatening me if I did not pay within 7 days of receipt of the letter they would take court action.. I sent them challenge letter stating my account was in dispute and they again threatened me so I reported them to trading standards.. they did not reply to them or bother me again after that.. that was when next dca wrote.

so the date of the default notice is that the start of my 6 year wait for when the loan is legally dissolved?

Technically the default notice gives you warning that you are in breach of the terms of your original agreement. If you did not rectify the position by the date shown on the notice, then the date shown is the default date that should be registered. It doesn't mean the agreement is terminated, (unless they sent you a notice saying so) It simply means you are in default of the terms of the original agreement.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I received £232 back from the nearly £5,000 plus costs (court fees basically and loss of earnings to attend court) - you can't claim compensation in Small Claims.

I would have thought you would have got more back than just the £232 what about all your time and effort in preparing for the case.. I bet their lawyers charged BPF for this.

I would have thought you would have got more back than just the £232 what about all your time and effort in preparing for the case.. I bet their lawyers charged BPF for this.

You'd have thought, wouldn't you. They don't take time and effort into account though - just cold money issues - full explanation of why only £232 is on my website if anyone wants to read it.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Barclays have been upto more under-hand shenanigins, if the FSA have issued them with another big fine for repeated dodgy practices, how comes the FOS cant see this. This seems to be Barclays way of doing business, lie as much as you can till you get caught.

This seems to be Barclays way of doing business, lie as much as you can till you get caught.

Barclays chairman stands down due to the current Missconduct of the Bank:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9369286/Barclays-Chairman-Marcus-Agius-resigns-over-rate-rigging.html

I am in the process of writing to my MP and David Cameron on this very subject and the way they have dealt with Advent students and have repeatedly lied to us regardless of the case we put to them. For instance they have now asked my wife to prove that she was asked to be guarantor. Our reply to them was to ask how they normally scammed people, for instance did they pass on proof of the [problem] to the individuals?

Well apart from the numerous lies from them and their sales staff, I guess they are now just playing a waiting game to see if people will eventually give in and start paying them for a course that they did not receive. In terms of writting to you MP's we have all tried that and all they send to them is a pack of lies that make you look like you are either being unreasonable or that you are lying.

Hey guys I know most people dont read this post anymore, but I thought that I'd post this message. There was an article in the papers yesterday 12/7/2012 about Barclays and it relates to a possible probe over their dealing with a company called Crown Currency Exchange. This firm essentially went bust, but Barclays new months before they went out of business that they had financial difficulties, yet they continued to accept money from them. The matter is being chased by the group that won compensation for the Farepak group. And they are trying to get Vince Cable to do a full investigation. Another referal point that might be worth looking into is that of Rangers football club filling for liquidation, many of their players where able to leave the newly formed club by citing a breach of their original contract. If any wants a copy of the article let me know and I will pm it to you.

Oi oi. Don't go saying no one reads this anymore. I'm no facehooker or twatter so this and Fuzzbut's page are my link.

I'd love to read the Crown Currency exchange article, might help in the letter to local MP who is championing ethical banking in the current climate but told me a year ago (backed with a letter from HM Treasury) that ours was a contractural matter and the government should not get involved. Just building a portfolio of press and personal stuff to drop on his desk again.

Anyone else from central Bristol want to add their tuppence worth to a letter to the MP?

• 2 weeks later...

My MP has written to Norman Lamb, Minister for Consumer Affairs, about the S75 loophole and the way the judge interpreted the law. He has raised this with the Office of Fair Trading (OFT), who are monitoring the court rulings and Financial Ombudsman judgements on the Advent case, so if you have had a court result or FOS ruling (in favour or not) he suggests people contact the OFT with the details.

The Minister has said in his reply to my MP that his department is currently looking at the Consumer Credit Act (including S75) and intend to make a detailed review of this, in hand with the OFT, and how the legislation is deficient in protecting consumers in our situation.

There's a possibility the S75 loophole will be revised in this case and the legislation changed. At least it will prevent this happening to anyone else in the future, though it may be too late for we Advent students to recover our money ever.

:sad:

Hi Fuzzbutt once again thanks for all your hard work on behalf of the group. I am still waiting for my final judgement from the FOS, this has been delayed since February because of the PPI issue. Will be writting to the OFT once I get a rulling.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone!

I've decided to pay off that doggy loan and avoid bad mark on credit score..even gave it a go with computeach but has no luck as materials provided was insufficient to achieve a pass level in real exams,so without sourcing knowledge form other places it was difficult due to full time work and short dead line given for completion the course (starting date with computeach was my original staring date back 2009 with advent..) now computeach has offered possibility for continue the course for £150.00 a month or about 1200.00 if paid in advance...

anyway I'm wondering if there was an PPI on barclays partner finance loan,anyone knows?

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone happy new year to you all

Today I have a letter from barclays it seems they are ready to spread new year joy to everyone... I thought it had gone quiet this past year.

I have been given notice of transfer of deed of assignment on 20th December... the new company is called "Marlin Financial Services" anyone know anything about this company and how the operate?.

I note that the signature on the letter from barclays is unreadable and no name is given as the signee.

There is an enclosed letter from Marlin with a load or blurb telling me they intend to share my details with other interested third parties.

Here we go..

There was a Dispatches’ programme on Channel 4 which focused on Marlin Financial Services and the way they handle the recovery of debts..

If its the program I think it is I remember seeing this at the time, the reporter went undercover to watch how this company worked and they was really devious in the way they worked.

I just checked torrents to see if I can find the programme but its not there, but the episode is available to watch on 4OD its called "Under cover Debt collector" on Despatches series 33 episode 1

It seems barclays have decided to try to make our lives worse and sold us down the river, this is what I have come to expect from barclays not once did they ask me how they could help to resolve this issue between us.. all I got from them was stick.

I wonder how many hundreds of customers debts they sold to marlin.. and I wonder if marlin have bothered to read what the loans were for and why we refuse to pay??

Happy new year y'all. I also received the letter from Barclays and Marlin. I have been in the process of trying to find a lawyer to assist me in taking BPF to court over this whole debacle and had sent a letter to Antony Jenkins at Barclays(the new chief executive) to that effect.

I received a response from Ronnie Denholm stating the usual drivvle. This was all after the FOS had ruled partly in their favour but agreed that they had not handled my complaint correctly and so awarded me £50 compensation in Sept '12! Insulting or what?! It took Barclays 9 months to inform me my complaint had been closed as of the 23/7/2010, with no mention of the letter that I sent to them recorded delivery and arrived at them within their timeframe. I have still no apology from Barclays on this matter and the Ombudsman was only looking at the time in which it took BPF to find us Computeach, which it he found to be satisfactory. Ronnie Denholm mentioned a "communication breakdown" in his response to my last letter which I received in. He also flat out denies that the Advent course was extendable and that apparently, in the t&c's for the initial loan contract I signed with them, it states that I agreed to them being allowed to pass my details on to third parties such as Computeach therefore did not breach the data protection act.

Does anyone still following this thread have any evidence regarding the extendability of the Advent course e.g. a letter or email from Advent granting extension. If so this would help my case immensely? My contract with Advent had an end date but it also had the the "term" stated as "...ending on the earlier of the date when you pass the final certification examination which forms part of your course and the date two years from the contract start date unless the initial term is extended as set out in paragraph 10.2 when the relevant date shall be the date at the end of the extended term." Paragraph 10.2 is in the terminations section and states "the contract will terminate immediately in the vent of your death" which has no relevance to the extension of the "term". Any thought anyone?

Did anyone manage to get an Advent rep to make a statement to in regards to the term extension?

If Marlin legally own the debt now does this mean that it is them that I should be now aiming my legal action against. Should I be contacting Marlin to explain this to them and see what they say?

Is it legal for BPF to sell a debt which is still being disputed after 3 years?

Any thoughts, advice or evidence would be most appreciated.

Peace

G