• Tweets

• I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3093 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Kraken is right, I understand, on the issue of mitigation.

I can't appeal as such as I have won the case and could only appeal if a) I thought the judge had made the wrong decision and ignored legal issues (he's applied S75 to the letter, it seems) or b) there had been some procedural failure in the way the court was run.

What IS unfair is the amount, from my perspective, which I can query and demonstrate a reason why I disagree with the award, so I believe.

I have been awarded costs (don't know how much yet until I get the court letter) but I shall certainly be writing to Barclays with a letter of disgust, national press and OFT (who asked me to let them know outcome).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kraken is right, I understand, on the issue of mitigation.

I can't appeal as such as I have won the case and could only appeal if a) I thought the judge had made the wrong decision and ignored legal issues (he's applied S75 to the letter, it seems) or b) there had been some procedural failure in the way the court was run.

What IS unfair is the amount, from my perspective, which I can query and demonstrate a reason why I disagree with the award, so I believe.

I have been awarded costs (don't know how much yet until I get the court letter) but I shall certainly be writing to Barclays with a letter of disgust, national press and OFT (who asked me to let them know outcome).

Bet after your judgement... they will try to use the judgement as it stands so that barclays only have to pay for any cheaper options.. book tokens for waterstones perhaps.. while still paying back a loan for thousands for a product not received

Unfortunately I am not a lawyer, and English is not my first language so pls bear with me but I guess what I was referring to is close to "expectation damage" in Brit legalese speak; in other words, by not being provided with the service as promised and paid for, Fizzbutt has suffered a damage - wasting time, upset career plans etc. Isn't this a very viable argument that the court should have taken into consideration? Unless you are criminally young (joking! :razz:) and don't care much about time wasted, time is a critical factor for those of us who are just too old to afford making a mistake (trying to avoid saying the number).

Besides, shouldn't people have a choice whether to accept a refund, or a suitable replacement - and if they don't want the replacement for whatever reason (I don't see why you should give a reason at all), it is their right to decide?

P.S. Are there any provisions in theoriginal contract about what happens if the course provider goes bust?

Edited by fractal

Unfortunately I am not a lawyer, and English is not my first language so pls bear with me but I guess what I was referring to is close to "expectation damage" in Brit legalese speak; in other words, by not being provided with the service as promised and paid for, Fizzbutt has suffered a damage - wasting time, upset career plans etc. Isn't this a very viable argument that the court should have taken into consideration? Unless you are criminally young (joking! :razz:) and don't care much about time wasted, time is a critical factor for those of us who are just too old to afford making a mistake (trying to avoid saying the number).

Besides, shouldn't people have a choice whether to accept a refund, or a suitable replacement - and if they don't want the replacement for whatever reason (I don't see why you should give a reason at all), it is their right to decide?

P.S. Are there any provisions in theoriginal contract about what happens if the course provider goes bust?

yes time was also an issue with me.. I am over 50 and to think that I had years of study in front of me was not the best thing I could think of doing at this time, but I wanted to be a microsoft qualified programmer.. and I did complain to advent rep as to why I need to to a technicians course.. he said it was a foundation course.. I did not see the point, I can build computers with my eyes closed

what I was referring to is close to "expectation damage" in Brit legalese speak; in other words, by not being provided with the service as promised and paid for, Fizzbutt has suffered a damage - wasting time, upset career plans etc. Isn't this a very viable argument that the court should have taken into consideration?

There is a principle of expectation loss in English law. This is useful: http://www.gillhams.com/articles/394.cfm. I think you are perhaps really alluding to 'reliance loss' akin to anglia tv v reed. Either way, it is all still related to a loss and that needs to be quantified. 'Non pecuniary losses', whilst awarded, are usually nominal. The primary aim is to get you what you contracted for. There are even instances of the court awarding reasonable amounts of money to allow someone to get what they paid for. Ruxely Electronics is a good example of the too-ing and fro-ing that can go on. If I buy a certain car for 20k, and then the dealership fails to deliver, but I can get the same car from another dealership for 25k, then I can claim the extra 5k it cost me. If it is the same car for the same cost, I can't claim. If I buy it and realise that paying 20k for a Chevvy Matiz was a poor move, then I can't do anything about it. There is no law against making a bad bargain.

With these claims it is partly about the service, but also about the outcome. Arguably, it is more about the outcome. The ends justify the means as it were. A well delivered degree course, with excellent teaching and fantastic facilities is worth nothing without the award at the end of it. You need the letters after your name for any of it to be worth anything. Also the court would ask what has caused the delay - is it Barclays sodding around (a three month delay before trying to provide an alternative) or the delay taken through litigation and dispute? If the latter then a claim is questionable. That is why, all along the key question has always been is it the same course and qualification?

I don't want to sound negative, but you'll see from all my comments on this and the other thread that I've taken this view all along. I first came across this when asked for help with the problem. I didn't suggest fighting because of all these problems - it all comes back to breach of contract and how that can be fixed. It is also partly due to the fact that advent were fairly rubbish to start with I think. I'll fight to the ends of the earth if I think I stand a chance, but on this I advised settling. They took the CT option in the end I think. Not sure how it all turned out for them. I think they finished the course, but it didn't help them get a job.

To use Fuzz's analogy:

"If I'd bought a car on loan and the dealership had collapsed before they were able to deliver it and the bank had sent me round a second-hand bike instead, would I have been treated the same way?"

I think what happened is that people bought a second hand bike for £5000 and so then this is what was delivered. After all, if Advent had been any good, why'd they go under? I know Barclays pulled the plug on them, but they must have had a reason. The cynic in me feels that it was a commercial decision - it was cheaper to deal with this mess than the fall-out if they'd carried on. Paying out for a couple of years of students must be better than regularly paying out every year?

Thank you for the links (and patience), Kraken. I suppose I might have been alluding to non-pecuniary Expectation Loss as well as Restitution (acc. to the gillhams link).

Hopefully one day someone will write a Survival Guide to Law for Dummies.

Good luck, Fuzzbeat (and all other Advent-urers)!

I've posted my court letter with an update explanation here on my website. Please feel free to refer to it (case ref number is on the letter).

http://adventstudents.webs.com/courtverdict.htm

Thanks for posting the letter Fuzz I feel for you, if you don't mind me saying it's a complete disgrace. I understand you were highlighting the absurdity of the cost of the courses and exposing the rip off. I wouldn't have seen that coming either,that they would use it as a settlement is galling. Did he not understand the point being made.also the bigger picture, I thought at least you would have a substantial refund.if not full refund as the end result was not achieved, OK at least you've shown that Computeach can't be forced on us that's a big win btw. but it's from start to finish been a complete disaster.Brick wall after Brick wall jeez makes you mad what you've went through and the work you done has not went without gratitude here and on FB so Thank You Fuzz. I'm also disgusted at the amount of regulatory bodies out there have not done anything to help, not one has called Barclay to account. Where is the Justice here.

But to play devils advocate, the reg bodies like trading standards and the like can't make law, they can only apply the law that is there. If this is what a court says then what can they do? The people to harass must be the law makers, not enforcers, surely?

Hi Fuzzbutt thanks for the letter, it will come in handy for many of us on this forum, especially for those that are either still dealing with the FOS or those that wish to go down the small claims route.

I totally agree with your planned follow up strategy of writting to the OFT, Trading Standards and the head of Barclays board. I think we should all follow suit and do the same. Is it worth getting some kind of template letter together? so that it is apparent that we are all complaining about the same thing?.

Thanks for posting the letter Fuzz I feel for you, if you don't mind me saying it's a complete disgrace. I understand you were highlighting the absurdity of the cost of the courses and exposing the rip off. I wouldn't have seen that coming either,that they would use it as a settlement is galling. Did he not understand the point being made.also the bigger picture, I thought at least you would have a substantial refund.if not full refund as the end result was not achieved, OK at least you've shown that Computeach can't be forced on us that's a big win btw. but it's from start to finish been a complete disaster.Brick wall after Brick wall jeez makes you mad what you've went through and the work you done has not went without gratitude here and on FB so Thank You Fuzz. I'm also disgusted at the amount of regulatory bodies out there have not done anything to help, not one has called Barclay to account. Where is the Justice here.

Thanks Bluedo for your kind words. Yes, I'm disgusted at the underhand tactics used by the Hogan Lovells lawyer. I won, yet financially I'm the loser!

I am challenging the amount awarded as I can ask for that to be reviewed within 14 days.

But to play devils advocate, the reg bodies like trading standards and the like can't make law, they can only apply the law that is there. If this is what a court says then what can they do? The people to harass must be the law makers, not enforcers, surely?

I agree, Kraken, but I'm at a loss of who to complain to in honesty (I thought directly to Barclays Board)? Can you suggest any authority please?

Hi Fuzzbutt thanks for the letter, it will come in handy for many of us on this forum, especially for those that are either still dealing with the FOS or those that wish to go down the small claims route.

I totally agree with your planned follow up strategy of writting to the OFT, Trading Standards and the head of Barclays board. I think we should all follow suit and do the same. Is it worth getting some kind of template letter together? so that it is apparent that we are all complaining about the same thing?.

I may put one up on my website once I've had a reply from the court about the amount, depending on what they come back with.

Fuzzbutt, apologies for butting in again, just hope to be able to help as I am also digging into CIW issues, although with a different provider.

It is not clear how they came up with that compensation figure; the cost of self-study kits from CIW certified distributors as sold in the UK is considerably higher; there are 3 providers, and the costs are online (source: http://www.ciwcertified.com/store/uk_distribution.php)

Best of luck!

Fuzzbutt, apologies for butting in again, just hope to be able to help as I am also digging into CIW issues, although with a different provider.

It is not clear how they came up with that compensation figure; the cost of self-study kits from CIW certified distributors as sold in the UK is considerably higher; there are 3 providers, and the costs are online (source: http://www.ciwcertified.com/store/uk_distribution.php)

Best of luck!

Thanks for that, Fractal. Very useful.

Well done to you Fuzz.

I have a quick question though, will the court send you a detailed break down of the judges decision related to the issues you raised, or is that rather brief letter all you get? I only ask because the former would be like a silver bullet for the rest of us in court.

Well done to you Fuzz.

I have a quick question though, will the court send you a detailed break down of the judges decision related to the issues you raised, or is that rather brief letter all you get? I only ask because the former would be like a silver bullet for the rest of us in court.

I don't think they do for small claims, Keith. That was all I got, the short letter posted on my website, which is a shame.

I don't think they do for small claims, Keith. That was all I got, the short letter posted on my website, which is a shame.

You could see if you can get a transcript but you'd have to pay. http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/GetForm.do?court_forms_id=161

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

My ruling at Bristol Court proves -

BARCLAYS PARTNER FINANCE HAVE NO RIGHT TO ENFORCE COMPUTEACH. WHAT THEY HAVE DONE MAY BE LEGAL BUT IT IS MORALLY AND ETHICALLY WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!

I'm in the process of writing to the Board of Shareholders at Barclays, OFT, MP and of course all major press, BBC Watchdog and the One Show (who supported us in the past). Suggest all of you get your heads over the parapet now and charge, do the same! Together we have a BIG voice. Don't whine, DO!!!

Barclays, like all banks, do not like BAD PUBLICITY IT HITS 'EM WHERE IT HURTS - THEIR POCKET- so make sure you give 'em some!

Edited by Fuzzbutt

and.... suggest a solution? A more acceptable alternative provider? No sense bemoaning a problem without also arguing for what you want. That said, I suppose in doing that you need to be writing to the people that can do something. Probably no point in writing to the OFT or Trading standards, they will just stick to the law that Fuzz has helped clarify. Barclays is a punt I suppose. The media folk I think will need some sort of story or angle. Not sure what that would be though. Worth thinking about before investing in a stamp I'd have thought.