• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3095 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well done on getting a result Fuzzbutt. Sorry its not exactly the one you (we) were looking for.Sorry if this questionis a bit premature (and probably selfish) but do we know what this means, if anything, for the rest of us?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Little consolation until you contest of course.

But in the greater sum of all this, BPF are now on legally murky ground.

Many students may find the confidence to take them on in small claims,

what with the threshold rising in April.

Good attempt Fuzzbutt, i am impressed [refund apart of course]

Well done Fuzzbutt for all the hard work that you have put in not just for yourself but all of us collectively. Although the result was not how you expected it to go, it has now proved that BPF have/ had no right to try to impose Computeach on us. The amount offered as compensation is a joke and it tells me and I am sure the rest of us that if we decide to make a small claim against BPF, it might be prudent to find an independent IT course that would cost a couple of thousands of pounds but less than the Advent one. This might make the judge give an increased settlement offer????

ps does this also now mean that BPF are going to clear your credit history and terminate your contract??

It's a hollow victory really as, even though I won and beat BPF, I'm the loser financially. I'd completed half the course and had already paid off the loan in full, so I expected I'd get at least £2,000 back in fairness.

The irony is I was trying to show what a rip off Advent was (and therefore CT) by quoting the cost of the COMPTia CIW Designer course - if I'd been dishonest or not even mentioned it I probably would have got more!

I will query the amount as the court official said I could do - need to wait for the letter in the post now.

First of all wanted to say congrats to fuzzbutt on the victory, however minor it may seem to yourself and all at the moment. I dont think anyone here can really thank you enough to have helped and guided so many of us thus far with-out expecting anything in return! Many thanks form myself for sure.

My view is now this surely paves the way now for everyone to have debts written off at the very least???

Well, lets hope some good comes of it. Although I haven't seen the letter from the court (should be in today's post) if what the official read out was the whole picture then I am gravely disappointed.

Barclays bank have effectively walked off with nearly £5,000 of my hard earned money - another victory for the greed of banks and how they [problem] their own customers, following on from PPI and other recent scandals. How any judge would see that as fair completely baffles me, even if the tiny sum does allow me to do a CIW cert independantly and so technically fulfills the mitigation issue of S75 CCA . That money Barclays has (in my eyes) stolen from me I will never see back again - it was years of savings on a low wage and all I did was try to better myself and refuse to transfer to an inadequate replacement the bank forced on me.

I noticed how Hogan Lovells grabbed conveniently at the point I'd made that the CIW cert would cost £230 - perhaps I should have been dishonest with the court and not disclosed what I'd discovered in my research, but I'd included it as an illustration of just what a rip-off distance learning companies such as Advent and CT can be, over-charging for materials which are worth a fraction of the cost.

As I say, I'm waiting to see the full letter but I intend to query the amount awarded and raise this whole issue with LACORS, the Office of Fair Trading, and any newspaper who is interested.

Once again thanks for all your hard work Fuzzbutt, BPF's lawyers have effectively used the one bit of evidence that you provided as an example to the nature of distant learning courses being over priced to justify their clients greed in terms of mitigation. This should now be a lesson to all of us i.e. BPF's legal team will stoop to extremely low measures to get their way. If you have to go to small claims, make sure if you do include examples, make them fairly similar to the Advent prices, in-effect playing them at their own game.

ps The amount awarded is meant to be based on a level of interest being attached to it, I believe at the moment it is around 8%. please refer to my earlier post with the link to Insite Law, hope it helps.

Once again thanks for all your hard work Fuzzbutt, BPF's lawyers have effectively used the one bit of evidence that you provided as an example to the nature of distant learning courses being over priced to justify their clients greed in terms of mitigation. This should now be a lesson to all of us i.e. BPF's legal team will stoop to extremely low measures to get their way. If you have to go to small claims, make sure if you do include examples, make them fairly similar to the Advent prices, in-effect playing them at their own game.

ps The amount awarded is meant to be based on a level of interest being attached to it, I believe at the moment it is around 8%. please refer to my earlier post with the link to Insite Law, hope it helps.

Exactly, Blade325 - I think their lawyers are beneath contempt. For the record the guy sent to the courtwas a Mr Duffy. I shall be writing a letter of disgust to Hogan Lovells, head of Barclays Mr Diamond and anyone else in the hope of shaming them - do these people ever feel remorse and shame I wonder at their underhand dealings and thievery?

Well done on the result Fuzz! at least the debt is cancelled, however the compensation is dismal and in now way reflects the amount of work you have put into the case.

There is hope! i wonder now if i could write BPF a letter citing the case? the only problem with that is i have since moved and as such dont really want them to have my address. You could always now ask them for compensation re. your credit records? i saw someone say that they have to pay if the entries are made in error?

Unfortunately for me, Mustard2243 I had already paid the whole £4,950 loan off, hence I say that is the amout Barclays have stolen from me effectively. I wouldn't mind so much if I'd been in the position of many of you where I'd stopped paying the loan! I wouldn't have lost so much then!In effect I've done all the leg work many will benefit from now (not that I begrudge that) but seems I get feck all out of it myself.

My personal opinion is that for the share amount of work that you have put in and the amount that most of us on the forum will get from this, the right thing to do from us all is to get a little collection together on your behalf. Maybe you could then use it to either go on a holiday or at least have a little in the bank.

"If you have to go to small claims, make sure if you do include examples, make them fairly similar to the Advent prices, in-effect playing them at their own game."

I think it is worth digesting this decision before doing that. It seems to me, based on the info here, that the decision can be summarised like this:

There was a contract for the supply of 'x' training course leading to 'y' qualification

This was financed by Barclays

The company providing x went under

Under s75 Barclays are therefore liable for the breach of contract in supplying x and therefore 'y'

The student is therefore entitled to a remedy under contract. This is to be put in the same position they would have been in, being supplied with x and then achieved y, or at least attempted the exam.

Barclays cannot force an alternative provider of x or y onto the student.

The student can choose his own supplier of x and y, and Barclays must fund this.

Not in Fuzz's account, but a reasonable inference - the student has a duty to mitigate their losses and this means that they must opt for the most cost effective alternative to get x and y. A claim for 5k alleging that this was the alternative cost would fail if Barclays could show that their suggested x was sufficiently similar to the original x and achieved y. Fuzz showed what the most cost effective remedy was and the court awarded this. it means that s/he will ultimately be able to have y cost of the initial contract.

This is all assuming that arguments that x was not initially missold and that the replacement x and y are sufficiently similar fail or are not advanced.

Kranken - i have an interesting situation going on between fos & BPF over my appeal.

This is under misselling.

BPF claim my course was never provided by Advent, and as such is not provided by Computeach.

Yet on my enrolment form it is clearly stated.

See attachments.

MSCE.jpg My course

MCSE.jpg BPF claim

Kranken - i have an interesting situation going on between fos & BPF over my appeal.

This is under misselling.

BPF claim my course was never provided by Advent, and as such is not provided by Computeach.

Yet on my enrolment form it is clearly stated.

See attachments.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33853[/ATTACH] My course

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33854[/ATTACH] BPF claim

So if Advent did not offer that course according to barclays.. what the fek are they saying you signed up for.. 30 minute cooking classes??

Maybe I am a beachy girl but in Fuzzbeat's case, I would go for a full refund PLUS moral damage. Buying a learning course, especially one that is a professional learning course is not like buying a sack of potatoes so if half of them are bad, you can take them back. A professional course is a serious commitment, and during the first year Fuzz invested time he could well spend in a more relaxing way, and money for extra materials, equipment etc - all that apart from paying the full fee. Second, being left in the lurch when the course provider disappeared has effectively nullified his efforts, caused emotional distress and has set off any career plans he might have had, related to the course and qualification.

Fuzz, if I had a case like yours, I would contact the media. I don't know how much one can claim for moral damage and emotional distress, but definitely the WHOLE fee plus interest - just imagine, had YOU failed to meet YOUR obligations, how much would THEY have been chasing you for by this time?

that would seem to be a persuasive case! Based on Fuzz's case, it would seem that if they are not going to provide the course then they refund the cost. I'm assuming if they didn't offer the course you never started it...?

Correct...

As i said above, i am just waiting for my fos outcome, i appealed the first decision.

With both appeals i am into the seventeenth month of waiting.

It it goes against me, i will be going down the same road as Fuzzbutt [small claims]

I believe you have a time frame of six years for this, and if so i am well within this.

"I don't know how much one can claim for moral damage and emotional distress"

In contract claims, very little if not nothing. You can only make claims in certain rare circumstances, for eg a wrecked holiday or wedding.

And this is exactly like buying potatoes. You're entitled to a potato at the end of the process and Iif you don't get one from the seller you can go get it somewhere else.