Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Ya Bluedo

I am now going to tackle this in a different, they did believe my wife but they accepted my sons situation therefore he will now lodge a complaint under s75 which is basically the definition of fos, my wife cannot claim under s75 for she did not purchase the course for herself but for a third party, therefore it follows to me that my son should be accepted

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suspected at the beginning they would do that, I never contacted them at all there was no point I wanted nothing to do with them. They have tried everything to get us to go with CT,

There are a few who have went to CT and are not happy and have left and are witholding payment again. So bfp will not be caring as that will be their chance scuppered now their fight wll be with CT That is a scandal to treat people like that Thanks for that link Blade it's very interesting.

I already knew what computeach is like already been a student of theirs years ago.

I enrolled on a Cobal programming course, our study time was wasted with endless useless internal exams designed to slow you down until they had enough students to fill the day study class in the city.

The internal exams taken at home with the honour system operating, were written answer's to questions with each question marked out of 10.

when you failed they sent you your answer paper back and you had to resit.. the same question paper!!.

And if you looked at your marked question paper you could see which questions you had highest marks... so.. it was a matter of just copying it onto the new answer paper and then just reworking the answers you did not get high marks..

guess what... next time around those answers did not get high marks.. and so it went on, I personally had to retake the same exam 4 times before I passed.

when my friend and I went to the practical day class we asked other students of their experience with these exams.. and everyone had same experience... they was just wasting your study time and your life!!!

Never ever study with computech!!!

Hey 10pack thanks for the post. If its ok with you and maybe at a later date, would you be willing to be a witness against Computeach?? thought that i'd ask as both the FOS and BPF are saying that we cant judge Computeach as we have not signed up and have not seen them in action (inaction). As an ex Computeach student your evidence would blow that lie out of the water.

Cheers

Hey 10pack thanks for the post. If its ok with you and maybe at a later date, would you be willing to be a witness against Computeach?? thought that i'd ask as both the FOS and BPF are saying that we cant judge Computeach as we have not signed up and have not seen them in action (inaction). As an ex Computeach student your evidence would blow that lie out of the water.

Cheers

It was years ago and I no longer have any of the study materials (I binned them all after I realised I was just wasting my time), so it would be hard to prove I studied with them.

The main section exams had about 10 questions and if I remember I had about 3 hours to complete the question paper (using the honesty system).

by the time I was on my forth attempt with the same question paper and with my previous marked answer sheets, I just copied everything over (with a pen) whole sections and I added information.

I spent all day doing it(honesty time went out the window) I wrote so much there was no chance I could have physically written it in 3 hours by hand, and later chatting with other students.. that seemed to be the same across the board.

They used to give us quick questionaires, with questions to see how we was progressing.

I remember some of the questions(annoying ones) like "what is a desktop" that was the actual question.. I wrote "I keep my desktop tv on it".

Another was "why do we use an IBM 360 computer?".. Answer I wrote was "because you got it free", as you can tell I was pretty pi*sed off with them by this time.

The questions was so general that you could have written any answer.. it could be correct? they marked them as they wished, there was no computer multi choice answers as you probably would have these days.

when I was studying with them there was no internet.. no emails.. everything was done by post.

we had no computer programming IDE (I had my own PC that I had brought at the time), no software, was all books.

I know there must be some progress in their study materials, lots of books for them to choose from to send you (they wrote all their own course material in those days)..

but I do not believe the mentality will have changed.. it would still be same, take the money and waste the students study time.. milk the student for all you can because he will soon be hacked off and gone.

And when I jacked it in I did not bother to inform them.. and they did not even write to quiery why I had not responded to any question papers.. so that was £3,500 loan (with interest) wasted, I was so hacked off with them by that time I just did not want to know.

I would not study with computeach if BPF returned to me the whole amount of the loan, and provided the study courses all free and unlimited.

I do not want to have anything to do with computeach.

Edited by 10pack

Sadly no news yet, 10pack - but they do say no news is good news and it suggests the judge is being very thorough and researching into this, I guess.

hey fuzz. only seen this thread today. ive been battling with bpf since 2008 and i thought id got them over after goin head to head with capquest who now own the debt. alas.. i have a letter today from the md of barclays sayin im a lier and they wud not consider my complaint.

basically i cancelled thw course within the buy now pay im 12 months thing.. but advent chose to forget this. i complained and dinally got the finance manager of advent to agree to cancel the course and cancel my bpf agreement if i paid them a settlment of 250 quid... which i did... and they went bust a week later :( but im confident i have confirmation of cancellation.

can u help fuzz? what is section 75 and where can i view it? what can i say to bpf in my unique situation? thanks

hey fuzz. only seen this thread today. ive been battling with bpf since 2008 and i thought id got them over after goin head to head with capquest who now own the debt. alas.. i have a letter today from the md of barclays sayin im a lier and they wud not consider my complaint.

basically i cancelled thw course within the buy now pay im 12 months thing.. but advent chose to forget this. i complained and dinally got the finance manager of advent to agree to cancel the course and cancel my bpf agreement if i paid them a settlment of 250 quid... which i did... and they went bust a week later :( but im confident i have confirmation of cancellation.

can u help fuzz? what is section 75 and where can i view it? what can i say to bpf in my unique situation? thanks

I couldn't advise on your particular situation, thatguyCraig as I'm not legally qualified, but if you google Consumer Credit Act 1974 the full text is on the Legislation.gov.uk website. You can read it all there and see how S75 may apply to you. There's info on this forum and other consumer issue websites too, I'm sure.

Just to suggest a solution is perhaps read the contents of S75 as well as check on the evidence you have in regard to the circumstances, for if your evidence is strong in regards to the treatment/agreement you made with Advent then fos should accept it, but they have no qualms in calling you a liar, as they did with my wife.

Still no news on the verdict, I'm afraid.

I wouldn't expect it for a good while yet. Was this at a county court?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It won't set any precedents then.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Well, I phoned the court to see if there was any result yet and a letter is in the post. The court official read the crucial part out and basically I've won but the judge has only awarded £230 refund plus costs!!!!!

I won't know the detail until I get the letter but I am guessing this is because I pointed out I could do the CIW Designer cert directly with COMPTia for that amount! BPF's slimy lawyer agreed on the day with the judge that I would be entitled to that as it would 'mitigate my loss' (it was all legal speak and to be honest went over the top of my head). Maybe I'd have got more if I hadn't been honest and admitted I'd found a way to do the certificate independantly.

But why was I not refunded even a % appropriate for the amount of time I'd spent on the Advent course (i.e just over a year, so that would mean half the £4,950???)

She said I could contest the amount and I will do that.

Little consolation in winning if this is the pay-out!!!!:mad2:

It's put you in the position you should have been in had the contract been properly completed. This is what s75 gets y and I think the mitigation point was raised earlier in the thread. I can understand why they went down this road. It seems Sound in the absence of a misrep claim working. I'd be cautious about appealing, it could get expensive. This is a win though, agreement that they can't force their supplier on you and you have the right to pick your own.

I suppose looking at it that way, Kraken, you're right re; legal points.

But it still seems unfair that £4,950 is money I have paid out and got nothing in return for. If I'd bought a car on loan and the dealership had collapsed before they were able to deliver it and the bank had sent me round a second-hand bike instead, would I have been treated the same way?

Hi everyone.

I had an agreement with Advent through Clydesdale Bank which I think is either Barclays or a 'sister' company of Advent (can't remember).

The loan began in November 2006. Can I still claim back PPI? If PPI was even part of it, I'm not sure but from reading here it seems like it was. Just wondered if it was possible to get anything back. To try and make things a bit clearer, the agreement was with Anglo Capital so I was not tied to Barclays / their offer of a new course like some others.

I'd be grateful for any input/update on this.