Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3074 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That seems to be the one i have - and it does not have a signature from a director either.

The letter states that the agreement has to be signed by a director, otherwise its not a binding contract.

If in fact this is the form Fuzzbutt is asking about, it has no start/end date.

It seems possible these are the original agreements from a couple of years ago.

Agreements from 2009 seem to be different.[Possibly]

And to top it all , the credit agreement from BPF - BPF have signed the green one, but not the pink one.:???:

Are these the form you are enquiring about Fuzzbutt?

Yes, that's the one, Lowdown.

Sounds like good news for you if there's no start and end dates.

What about those of us which were the debtor but not the student and ruled as not covered by section 75? I don't see this benefiting us as we're not covered by that law?

It could be the mis-selling will be the strongest point for people in the guarantor position if the Advent rep badly advised you.

Could you ask ingrid if this ruling would be applicable to those who took out a loan on behalf of someone doing the course.

FoS ruled me out purely because my name is on the training contract but my fiancé is on the loan agrement.

This is despite the fact the the loan states quite clearly that it was for training.

And another round of thanks for fuzzys hard work in all this i think is in order

well done we all appreciate what you've done :D

You're welcome.

I'll certainly ask that and the point about a director needing to have signed the form, that Lowdown mentioned.

Hi Guys I have followed from the very beginning but have just signed up now.

I am also part of the lawsuit with ingrid through Fuzzbutt - Top Work.

I have emailed you Fuzzbutt but know your probably snowed under with emails at the moment but does anybody know if the ruling in our favour has actually followed through with the refund as in the student actually having their money back yet. If so what was refunded? Course fees or interest and charges aswell?

Could you ask ingrid if this ruling would be applicable to those who took out a loan on behalf of someone doing the course.

FoS ruled me out purely because my name is on the training contract but my fiancé is on the loan agrement.

This is despite the fact the the loan states quite clearly that it was for training.

And another round of thanks for fuzzys hard work in all this i think is in order

well done we all appreciate what you've done :D

Hi PW1

Ingrid replied to me...

"Firstly, in the ordinary scheme of things ,this ruling would not affect the situation of guarantors.

Having said that there could be no harm is trying to assert this deficiency (ie that there is no end date in the contract) and see if the FOS may take a more benevolent view, as they are supposed to adjudicate on what they see as ‘fair and reasonable’ not within the strict letter of the law.

Obviously this could only be done where there was no end date. The fact that the agreement is not signed by an Advent Director is a peripheral issue, and won’t really get far."

Hope that helps. I also asked about the lack of signature Lowdown raised earlier.

I've sent this of to the FOS as I have a complaint already in progress (see if this does the trick)

Dear Sir,

With reference to the above complaint. I have been advised from a previous FOS ruling in favour of one of the Advent students.

The main circumstances are there were no start or end dates on the Advent enrolment form (green form which I signed at the interview

with the Advent sales rep) and therefore FOS agreed it was reasonable to assume the course was open-ended and so not like-for-like terms

to Computeach. As you can see from the attached scanned copy of my enrolment form there contain no start or end dates I apologise for

the faded quality.I would like to point out whilst I am waiting for a decision by my adjudicator to point out that a ruling has been made in favour of a student in similar circumstances to myself.

Regards Robert Hood

Hi Guys I have followed from the very beginning but have just signed up now.

I am also part of the lawsuit with ingrid through Fuzzbutt - Top Work.

I have emailed you Fuzzbutt but know your probably snowed under with emails at the moment but does anybody know if the ruling in our favour has actually followed through with the refund as in the student actually having their money back yet. If so what was refunded? Course fees or interest and charges aswell?

Yes, a refund has been authorised by FOS but to respect the individual's confidentiality request I can't say more than that.

Do you have the white form which is the credit agreement from barclays partner finance?

Yep, got that and its signed by me, not a copy, my actual signature.

Oh, and Moorcroft have sent a "notice of litigation" this morning for the first time. Am i right in thinking that by informing them that my account is in dispute and being investigated by the FOS they'll back off?

Dam it... my husbands form DOES have a start and end date. However it doesnt matter because im the guarentor caught up in all this and apparently it doesnt apply to me because im not the student!!

How binding are verbal agreements??? My husband is registered with the Kent Association for the Blind (he is severly partially sighted), at home he has the adapted equipment to enable him to use his computers/servers very ably indeed. Advent assured him they would not discrimate against his disability and confirmed he could sit his exams at the IT test center (10 miles away and not travel 150miles up the country with his disability), Sales rep assured him the Test center supplied adapted equipment. Advent rep also verbally agreed that a mentor on special request would be available to home visit my husband due to his disability (Computeach do not offer this and said my husband would need to travel to their location for classes and exams - this is not an option with his disability but BPF couldnt care less about my husbands plight in reaching the North of the country as a disabled man). Needless to say he never saw an Advent mentor as the course went bust a few weeks after he'd signed up.

I was a guarentor, the credit was obtained using my old address therefore i never recevied any paperwork for the so called 'cooling off period' and in all honesty didnt even know the loan was in my name... i 'assumed' i was a guarentor that if my husband couldnt pay then i would step in and pay. If for one minute id realised id signed up to a huge loan that i didnt even see a penny of i would have cancelled immediately. Again i mentioned this to BPF but they were not interested and couldnt answer why the credit was obtained in my old address.

Its all a nightmare... since all this began ive got married so had a nice name change, cancelled my credit cards, moved house and changed my mobile number... but its not the point.. ill have bad credit for ever now :o(

Yep, got that and its signed by me, not a copy, my actual signature.

Oh, and Moorcroft have sent a "notice of litigation" this morning for the first time. Am i right in thinking that by informing them that my account is in dispute and being investigated by the FOS they'll back off?

Moorcroft are not solicitors or any kind of legal appointed representative, and can not pretend to be, in fact that would be a criminal offence,

you might want to point that out to them. Any legal proceedings would need to come from BPF or their solicitors.

And yes tell them that the account is in dispute and being investigated by the fos.

Moorcroft are nothing more than bounty hunters - and not very good ones at that, just do a search on this very site.

Edited by lowdown

I have been looking for clarification on the Guarantor situation and found the info below.

My confusion is laying in why is BPF and the Fos making a beeline straight to the Guarantor when the Student is being disregarded after Advents demise.

Surely as a guarantor they should only be called upon if the Student does not pay but they are NOT requesting anything from the Student.

I am convinced that NO guarantor in this situation knew they would be solely responsible for these loans. Remember we do have a case for mis-selling. I wasn't working at the time but was advised that they could have me in work within 3 months as I wasn't working I could devote more time to studying which is what I did but( fast forward) 10month on no Job went bust before the BNPL was up.Lies Lies Lies :-x

A guarantor is someone who pledges that a loan or other type of debt will be paid. Usually, a guarantor agrees to pay or perform another person's debt or duty SHOULD THAT PERSON FAIL TO DO SO. The term is most commonly used in reference to financial assistance. A parent who cosigns a student loan for a child could be considered a guarantor – should the child default on his or her debt, the parent would be held liable for the remainder of the loan.

Use of a guarantor does not ensure that a loan application will go through, because the guarantor is considered part of the loan application, and his or her credit will be evaluated along with the other applicants. If the lending institution feels that the guarantor cannot make good on the debt, they will not approve the loan. When seeking out a guarantor, it is important to keep this in mind.

Generally, applicants use a guarantor if they feel they are unable or unwilling to secure a loan on their own. This might be the case if the applicant has poor credit or no credit history. Individuals and corporations alike can serve as guarantors or have guarantors for their loans. In the case of multiple guarantors, usually each is liable for the entire amount of the debt. Some lending institutions require that guarantors be bonded for a certain amount, usually a percentage of the loan, so that the institution can be confident that the money is recoverable.

Before agreeing to serve as a guarantor, it's important to assess the primary borrower's credit, income, and expenses, to determine whether or not he or she is capable of handling the loan. Be prepared to repay the entire amount if the primary borrower defaults and do not agree to offer a guarantee if you are unable to do so. Find out if the amount being borrowed is fixed, and if so, at what amount. Make certain that you have a copy of the loan contract and that you read and fully understand it before signing, because there is no way to back out of a guarantee.

A guarantor is someone who pledges that a loan or other type of debt will be paid. Usually, a guarantor agrees to pay or perform another person's debt or duty SHOULD THAT PERSON FAIL TO DO SO. The term is most commonly used in reference to financial assistance. A parent who cosigns a student loan for a child could be considered a guarantor – should the child default on his or her debt, the parent would be held liable for the remainder of the loan.

To be honest i want it out of my name full stop... I am not the student even though BPF wrote to me as the enrolled student!! My husband refused to pay for Computeach and i totally agree..., but that it leaves me as a guarantor and my credit rating up sh*t creek because im not coming out of hiding until this is resolved... i do not want BPF or their 3rd party bullies on the end of my phone or door step on a daily basis! Such a horrible situtation to be in when you see the anual profit of Barclays in its hundreds of millions. :o(

To be honest i want it out of my name full stop... I am not the student even though BPF wrote to me as the enrolled student!! (

That's exactly where my confusion is laying. WHY!! are they disregarding the student, I have not been personally informed by BPF but they wrote straight to my Dad and the DCA's have been on at him but he's backing me 100% and can see the injustice of the whole situation. I know it stinks but I'll continue to fight this as Neither my Dad or I are receiving any goods or services. So what have we to be paying for and I will not be railroaded by a bank just for their profits.

Actually - can you be a Guarantor for yourself?? Because effectively the loan is in my name, but im listed as a Guarantor according to the paperwork?

That's a mind boggling question you may have a point somewhere in there I can't get my head round where we are in this :noidea:

Apologies that my previous post may have caused some confusion but the explanation below from our lawyer should clarify the situation.

New information just come to hand suggests that if you were a former student who paid in full just before the collapse of Advent and had no course end date on your enrolment form you may well, based upon recent experience, get at least a 60% refund from the FOS. Computeach have said they did not offer ‘open ended’ course dates, so to that extent the fact that the two courses differed in that respect has been accepted by the FOS.

Please contact Fuzzbutt if you are one of these people (send your full name/address). I am compiling a list for our lawyer of all those now able to claim a refund under this ruling.

For those who have NOT yet put in a complaint to FOS our lawyer advises you to do so now and make this date issue clear in your complaint. If you HAVE but you're still waiting for a decision from your adjudicator ensure you contact them and point out that a ruling has been made in favour of a student in similar circumstances to yourself.

Please do not send any documents to Hausfeld as it's not necessary.

I was wondering.. to write to FOS, is there a standard format letter or a list of documents to send?.

Since we now seem to have a light at the end of this, I do not wish to confuse things by sending in a incorrectly worded document.

From what I can see on my document that is my Enrolment Form, I have sections that show info on "Student details" "Payment details" "Receipt details" "Finance ID details", but no where on this document does it have anything that is like those two sections that rphood uploaded... I have both blue and yellow documents.

So there must be two different enrolment forms, one with those two boxes to show start and end dates.. the other document as I have.

So from what I understand we are to use this soley as the means to claim?.

I also found my letter from Advent confirming my enrolment on the course and in the section stating employment it shows me as "Unemployed" and this was sent to me before the rep came to my house and got me to sign all the documents, I am still unemployed situation as before... the rep told me their onsite job recruitment section would have me in work withing 3 months because I was out of work and could therefore commit more of my time to study and advance further.

(Ironic that the time when Barclays "found" computeach is the exact time I should have started working in IT according to advent)

My point is.. is there any milage in sticking in more knives in the hope that ****s sticks and causes even more of a smell than is being made now, and in the hope all helps others who may not have the same enrolment form as I have.

ok so here's the thing, i've already had a final decision from the F.O.S regarding my complaint about all this and they sided with barclays, so do i contact them again?

or is this now a job solely for the solicitors team?

My point is.. is there any milage in sticking in more knives in the hope that ****s sticks and causes even more of a smell than is being made now, and in the hope all helps others who may not have the same enrolment form as I have.

I think it would be good for those of us that have not yet put in a complaint to the fos, to maybe use a similar template. I think that there might be one knocking around somewhere if someone could be kind enough to post. There is now more detailed stuff to add to it.

I will have a look, i think i might have downloaded one at some point, but not sure.

if you were a former student who paid in full just before the collapse of Advent and had no course end date on your enrolment form you may well, based upon recent experience, get at least a 60% refund from the FOS. Computeach have said they did not offer ‘open ended’ course dates, so to that extent the fact that the two courses differed in that respect has been accepted by the FOS.

Has there been any further ground being taken on people who unfortunately coughed up the money and have dates on their forms?

Hey all. Aint posted for a while but have kept up with the reading. Hope everyone who didnt have start end dates do get your money back. Unfortunately my form is dated. Hey fuzz has BPF replied to hausfelds last letter yet.

Not yet apparently.