Is interfering with a motor vehilce an offence?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4152 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am wondering if it is an offence for an unauthorised person to interfere with a motor vehicle, i.e. a person working for a private parking company to lift your windscreen wiper to place an invoice under it? This could also apply if the car is clamped or towed away by agents for a PPC.

I suspect a bailiff would have this authority as would an employee of a council or a policeman.

The short answer is no, the longer answer is no not unless they intend to steal or twoc it and it becomes an offence under the Criminal attempts act 1981.

Interference with vehicles.

(1) A person is guilty of the offence of vehicle interference if he interferes with a motor vehicle or trailer or with anything carried in or on a motor vehicle or trailer with the intention that an offence specified in subsection (2) below shall be committed by himself or some other person.

(2) The offences mentioned in subsection (1) above are

(a)

theft of the motor vehicle or trailer or part of it;

(b)

theft of anything carried in or on the motor vehicle or trailer; and

©

an offence under section 12(1) of the Theft Act 1968 (taking and driving away without consent);

and, if it is shown that a person accused of an offence under this section intended that one of those offences should be committed, it is immaterial that it cannot be shown which it was.

There was a case a few months back where a car was clamped in a pub car park.The owner on returning from shopping duly paid the release fee.He then prosecuted the clamping company for tresspassing on private property,namely the car, and he won the case.I think it was on Pepipoo where it was highlighted.