style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have recently been receiving letters and phone calls from fitness first and now cars regarding an outstanding payment for around £40, This is for the 2 months membership of which I cancelled the direct debt after I honoured the 12 month contract. I thought by doing so I would not be in any breach of contract as I had paid them for the full duration as agreed.

Where do I stand with this now, are they chancing there luck hoping I give in and pay or do they have any legal right to enforce the debt as they see it.

Hope someone can put some clarity towards this matter.

Regards

Blair.

Hi bla

Welcome to CAG

The guys will advise as soon as they are available.

Did you cancel it with them? It probably says that somewhere in their small print, that you need to cancel it with them.

Hi Blaimck,

If you read through the contract which you had when you signed up, it should have set out exactly how and when you should cancel the contract.

They often require written notice by Recorded Delivery to their Head Office. They also have strict rules about the day by which you must give notice, or you'll have to pay for another full month.

The good news is that many such contracts are not legally binding as they are poorly drafted.

So they are unlikely to take court action but you could end up with negative dated being posted on your credit records.

Read other threads here to see how others are dealing with various gyms.

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Blair, I have just cancelled my Fitness FIrst membership.. you will probably find you are locked into a 12 month contract and they require 1 month notice for cancellation, however this is 1 calendar month i.e. if you give your cancellation on the 10th of January (for example) then the 1 month notice doesn't start until the 1st of Feb through to the end of Feb..

The web site says you need to speak to the Membership Manager (or whatever they are called in the local gym) and they will confirm whether you are allowed to cancel :) or you can send them a registered letter or collect a cancellation form from the local gym (although they may have run out of them recently ha ha..) or you can phone them up, but if you do phone them, then you can expect a derogatory and condescending tone at the other end of the phone - along with some mild mockery if you are locked into a contract with them.

IMHO I think Fitness First are a bunch of jokers and I plan to encourage everyone I can to cancel their membership with them.