Leaving work to become a carer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4013 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'll try and keep this brief, as a I am prone to waffling occasionally:-

My wife, although relatively young, has suffered all her life with the after-effects of a stroke she suffered whilst in the womb and curvature of the spine. Without wishing to go into enormous detail, this involves a physical disability as well as mental issues caused by the brain being starved of blood supply to part of it during the stroke.

Up until around 6 months ago, she was relatively mobile and, it would be fair to say, at first glance you would find it hard to understand that you were looking at a disabled lady. Now, her mobility has decreased to such an extent that she finds it difficult to go outside the house, and certainly doesn't really want to unaccompanied as her balance is adversely affected these days. She also now has to use a walking stick to move around - often even within the house if she is having a "bad day". She is also now on morphine-based pain patches and neurological painkillers in an attempt to give her some quality of life. To give an idea of her difficulties, she cannot, and will not, go round a "normal" supermarket (such as our local Asda) because the distance involved in going round there is just too much for her to contemplate - with, or without, her walking stick.

I am the only wage-earner and it has become increasingly apparent to me over the last couple of months (especially over Christmas) that I am going to need to spend a lot more time at home caring for her.

I am not fazed by this, but obviously I am very concerned about "us" as a family (we have a 13-yo on the autistic spectrum and an 8-yo child as well).

I have made an application to my employer (with whom I've been 6 1/2 years) for flexible working - part time in the office and part-time at home, but overall the same hours, and will wait to see the outcome. However, in the meantime, I have to be realistic and look to the future where I can see me needing to completely give up work and be at home with her all day - if the last 6 months are anything to go by, I've probably got another 6 months, maximum, left "at work" now before her mobility has decreased to such a degree that she is either housebound or a significant danger to herself and the children if left unattended and I NEED to be with her full-time.

Really, I've got several things in my mind at the moment. 1, of course, is what are my chances of my employer accepting this "flexible working"? As I understand it, it's only a "right" to request it and a "right" to have it considered - no more.

2. What is the best way of "leaving work" when the time comes so that we, as a family are not financially "hammered"? The ideal, of course, is redundancy (horrible though that sounds) - I cannot "quit" as that would adversely affect us in the event we sought benefits for survival. I know for a fact that the company will not make me redundant, as my role is fairly specific, and, all the time we have the computer system we have (it's only halfway through it's "lifespan" at the moment) permanent, the issue of redundancy will not be considered - they won't make the position, and thus me, redundant.

If anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful. A lot of thoughts are going through my mind at the moment, and, I suppose, I'd like a bit of clarity.

Many thanks in advance

Hi CRH. I'm no expert on these issues but a few things spring to mind.

1. Are you and your family getting all the benefits you're entitled to?

2. With the right financial support would it help to have a carer, possibly coming in 2 or 3 times a day, or while you're at work. May be an option worth exploring with your wife's doctor and Social Services. If she doesn't have a social worker look into this sooner rather than later as it can take a long time to get one allocated to help you.

3. Your employers would need to have very good reason to comply with your request. ACAS are a good source of information on all matters to do with employment. http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1283

4. More information on becoming a carer here. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/HomeAndCommunity/Carers/index.htm

5. If you do have to give up work don't do it in April at the beginning of a new tax year. Do it later in the year so that you can get back some of the tax you've paid. This would also help if you had to reduce your hours.

Hope that helps until someone with more specific advice comes along.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi

Sorry to hear of your predicament, my wife and I were / are in a similar situation. I know you have asked specifically about the work situation, but if I may I will prattle on about some other aspects which you may know but might find useful if you don't.

First, (and you might need legal advice on this) there was a case in the European Court that changed things slightly for carers, the case of Coleman v Attridge and others helped one particular carer with her problem. Unfortunately when we tried to use it in our situation the judgement did not 'fit' our facts hence seek legal advice for yours. It basically revolved around a lady needing adjustments in her childcare arrangements with her work. So not all that far away from yours, check it out, it may help you with your application for flexible working, specifically mention Coleman, as you are raising the issue of discrimination in a round about way (see below).

If your application for flexible working is refused, personally I would raise a grievance and state that the employer is discriminating against you because of your care arrangements and it is Associated Discrimination by reason of your connection to a disable person. This is important because if they start 'doing things' to you and it is because of raising the grievance, that could amount to Victimisation. Victimisation does not rely on actual discrimination but the mere fact that a discrimination has been raised. The level of evidence needed to prove it is higher and you need to prove the employer's INTENTION behind their actions. This is laying the ground for a ET claim in due course, which may be helpful to you. If they start playing funny games with you and you become ill might open the possibility to a pension if you are paying into one but you need to be careful that it is done for the right reasons. This is way down the line though and may not be feasable.

If you go this route ensure you have a legal protection insurance policy in place for work disputes and that it covers discrimination, don't rely merely on union help (although they may help many unions shy away from discrimination).

Have you registered your wife as disabled with the local social service? They should be aware of her and her / your predicament. They have a legal duty to ensure you have help in aid, aids and appliances and depending on your savings will pay for for part or all adaptations. As stated above care help could be available too, but you need to apply for it all.

You may at some point be entitled to Carers allowance. if your wife is getting DLA (Care and Mobility) you should apply for it even if you are not eligible for the money. It is handy to have the 'underlying entitlement' in place as and when your wages go under the limit you should get the allowance fairly quickly.

As and when you get Carer's allowance remember to apply for the pension credit every year by reason of your caring for children and your wife (you may be entitled to back credit but I am not sure).

The Benefits Enquiry Line (0800 88 22 00) are very helpful and well worth a phonecall.

Can't think of anything else at present.

Hello there. I have a couple of thoughts and hope that other caggers with more in depth knowledge will be along to comment soon.

Is there any mileage in working at home? If the technology allowed it, that would help you to be on the spot. I agree with Caro that you should check out the benefits available, and don't forget the Benefits forum here.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Oh and apply for a Blue Badge for your wife, you may need to get your GP to help you if it is turned down. Appeal all the way, you should get it eventually.

If she gets Higher rate mobility DLA then you could a motability car. The alternative is always a VAT free new car because she needs to get a wheelchair (and the car needs adaptation slightly eg a hoist for the wheelchair.

If a wheelchair is in your home you are entitled to a reduction on the council tax too, but the wheelchair is the key point there.

Hi

ref benefits post leaving employment

Be careful how you leave the company, only redundancy and retirement are accepted as grounds for leaving jobs with the DWP [for purposes of claiming Job Seekers Allowance and other appropriate benefits]. Remember that its not you that gets made redundant its the job, so in theory if your company were to let you leave made redundant and then advertise for new employee to do the job you left, the DWP can [and do] inquire into the circumstances etc.

Yes you have a right to ask for flexible working arrangement but that don't mean the employer has to give you one. You may need to be more flexible yourself [working late, early, weekends etc]

Are you in a union?

Ref back dating Pension Credits [or any other benefits] unlikely these days

Looks like there might be some useful information HERE

The parent site of that page might also be able to help.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Many thanks, one and all. Everyone's advice and kind comments are very much appreciated.

We're pretty sure that we are getting all the benefits we are entitled to - we've just applied for a re-assessment of the DLA in the light of her decreasing mobility.

I hadn't considered Social Services at all and didn't, in all honesty, realise they had a legal duty to help us. I've now applied online for an assessment for both of our needs going forwards and have had an initial chat with them.

Papsmurf - many thanks for your detailed advice - I don't think my employers are going to cut up funny with me over the flexible working because I'm basically doing the same hours, but from two different locations (I've asked to go home and work in the afternoons) however, I'm ready with the grievance and further if needs be. Thankyou, too, for the advice regarding Pension Credit - again, not something I was aware of and, of course, very important to me as I get older. She is a blue-badge holder already, but again thanks for the advice.

HB - I already can work at home - the issue I am up against is the one of "Company Culture" and it is this I will be challenging. I am on call most weekends and Bank Holidays, so have a laptop and IP phone here to work. I've recently upgraded my ADSL connection's speed and bandwidth to ensure that I can work as effectively at home as I can in the office. The Company, however, has never had anyone in this position before and has never been known to allow someone to work from home permanently.

I am not in a Union, Roblynmouth. I already work late and weekends for them, as I am on call. I have been extremely flexible in the past with this Company - all I'm asking for is a bit of flexibility back from them. I had a suspicion about the whole "redundancy" situation anyway - your comments confirmed my suspicion and make me realise why they won't make me redundant - the role would still exist after my leaving and would need to be filled.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to my situation:-

I went through the process with my employer, and a meeting was held where mutual agreement was made.

I received the letter this afternoon, confirming acceptance of my proposal.

My sincere thanks to all for their kind advice. I feel very fortunate indeed to be working for such compassionate and understanding Line Management.

Just an update to my situation:-

I went through the process with my employer, and a meeting was held where mutual agreement was made.

I received the letter this afternoon, confirming acceptance of my proposal.

My sincere thanks to all for their kind advice. I feel very fortunate indeed to be working for such compassionate and understanding Line Management.

And ones who comply with the law.;-)

Thanks for the update and good luck to you and your family in the future.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hello - just to add to the advice already received, if your wife receives the middle or high rate care component of DLA, you would be able to leave your employment and claim carer's allowance without the DWP querying the reason for your leaving. This can be topped up with income support depending on income/capital, and/or your wife can claim ESA. If it comes to you having to leave work, these benefits are available.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)