• Tweets

• The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
    • Peter McCormack says the huge investment by the twins will help Real Bedford build a new ground.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Intimidation/Dignity at work?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4853 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Back in April this year I asked HR for a copy of my contract (T&C's). I also brought up the subject of appraisals, which we were promised would take place on a regular basis. The HR manager arranged for my supervisor to take me for an appraisal a few days later. I was then called to the office for the appraisal. This was a couple of minutes before our lunch break (wether this was deliberate or not i'm not sure).

In that meeting I was made to feel I was the most useless employee they had. My supervisor said that wherever I was put, mistakes went through the roof. I was even accussed of covering up mistakes. My belief is that you can only be accused of that if you knew about the mistakes in the first place. And after all this time how can he know that I did, if I did indeed make these mistakes in the first place.

Bear in mind that I have worked for this company for over 13 years. For approximatly 8 of these, I was a packer. In that time I was the only one who had to weigh everything I was packing. No matter how busy it got I very rarely got help even though other packers did. More often than not I was told (or usually shouted at) to "pull the stuff of the belt". About three years ago I was moved from that job and given the impression that it was just to rotate workers. I was never given any feedback to suggest any other reason. Then about 18 months ago I was moved again to a task which I beleive is way below my ability.

At the above meeting the supervisor told me that the only reason I was kept so long as a packer was that he couldn't think of another job to put me to that I could do. Needless to say this hasn't done my confidence or moral any good.

Sorry for the long post so far but I think that gives an idea how things are going.

Now to the main reason for this post. Earlier last month I felt it neccessary to put in a complaint about my supervisors attitude towards me over the previous couple of weeks. The HR manager suggested that the three of us get together to sort things out. A lot of good that did. Although she did try to look impartial, she did her best to make me see things from the supervisors point of view. Made me feel like it was two against one and therefore a waste of time, and has only made things worse. Since then he has been checking up on me to check that I'm where I'm supposed to be (being careful not to make it obvious).

The worst came last week. At quitting time I ws washing my boots along with the other workers and he was standing there watching (I don't remember him ever doing that before). I then moved across to the sink to wash my helmet. Out of the corner of my eye I could see him purposefully turn round to watch me again. When I had finished I then went back into the production area to clock out and he followed me. I went to clock out at one side but then decided I would go to the clock machine on the other side.

As I was going out through the door I met him and he promptly turned to follow me. I was the only one at the clock machine and he stood just a few feet away watching me clock out. On my way out, one guy who was still working shook his head and said "Is he watching you?". That's how obvious he made it. Needless to say I felt very intimidated by this. There are four camera's between the washing area and the clock machine but it looked to me that he was well aware it was all caught on camera.

The union rep suggested that I keep a record of everything he does for a month. I will be doing this but I know he will be very careful not to make his actions obvious and spread things out over the coming months. I was very tempted to make another complaint but I know he will make it look like he was watching everyone for time wasting and not singleing me out.

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

To Add to the above, I did agree (although I never said so) that there were one or two tasks that did get the better of me. I find it hard to understand how you can be kept at a job for so long only to be told you're not good enough. There is one job I know I can do and would allow me to earn a higher bonus yet they steadfastly refuse to allow me to do it.

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

Forgot to mention that I have been taking medication for depression for almost a year. I haven't told my employer about this as I'm afraid they would use this against me. The companys nurse calls me from time to time just to see how i am getting on and says it is up to me wether I tell them or not.

Should I go ahead and report the latest incident or wait as my union rep advises? A, I right not to tell them anout the depression?

My partner reckons I should take some time of on the sick but I can't afford to do this as I have next to no savings. I have from time to time felt like just throwing in the towel and leaving. I know this would be foolish and put me back in the position I was in before I got this job, I.E no money, mo car etc. Then again my mental health and sanity are more important.

Paid in full in March 07

Hi DJ

What an awful predicament. It sounds like the company already know about your illness / depression. Although the company nurse says that it is down to you to tell the company, in reality she works for and in the interests of the company and I would be very much surprised if they didn't have an inkling as to what has gone on before. Going sick should only be done if you are too sick to work. I think the general opinion on these forums is that company's will dismiss for capability if you are too sick to work. So thus achieving the very thing you don't want.

I am assuming that your first complaint put the supervisor on notice for failing to supervise enough hence the meeting with HR. The second complaint seems to revolve around him supervising too much thus making you feel ill at ease. he obviously has you in his sights thus the bullying attitude. The union rep is right you need to gather the evidence, time dates incidents paperwork etc etc. Bullying and harassment at work is unacceptable but the line between that and high supervision is not so clear. I doubt that ET's would find high and exuberant supervision to be bullying and harassment when you have complained about a lack of it or something similar.

I hate to tell you this but it is best you know, when a supervisor gets their teeth into you it is nigh on impossible to win, so prepare for the worst. So ......

Make sure you have an independent legal protection insurance cover for employment disputes (which should include allegations of discrimination). This is in addition to the cover the union give you as unions can renege at any time, best having an independent way out of the problem. Keep on collecting the evidence, the more the better, the longer the better.

Once your evidence is good then you should then consider doing the following : writing to your employer detailing that you find the actions of the supervisor intrusive and making youeven more ill than you were before having to go to the doctor. Detail to them you depression and how the actions of the supervisor are making your conditions worse than they could be without his action upon you. Detail that you think you are covered under the equality act 2010 (have a look at the act and the EHRC website as to what would make you a 'disabled' person in the eyes of the law. Once you have registered your disability with the employer ask for reasonable adjustments and if they fail to make them place a grievance with them. Your union rep should be helping you.

The company should have some sort of policy on dignity at work, perhaps you should read up on it.

Unfortunately they can do what they want as far as allocation of duties are concerned.

Keep your spirits up I am sure there are many caggers on here to talk your way through it and many are more knowledgeable than I am, so wait for a variety of replies before taking action (I get things wrong !!!!)

OP if you are thinking of kicking the job in then prepare self now and just hold onto job as long as possible

i suffered from depression and going from a reasonable wage down to a benefit payment is a huge shocker

cancel all non essential novalty - luxury purchases and direct debits also if you have sky world package knock it down to the entertainment package

set yourself a 30 pound spend limit a week for food luxuries clothes and stuff and try living today as if your already on benefits

you should see [if paid weekly] your bank account increase

if you truly beleive your employer is pushing you out of the job just try to knuckle down as much as you can avoid any negative meetings if informal and just keep head under the radar dont let paranoia set in rise above it

dont think ifs or maybes think solutions instead think about how to get around managers and just hold in there until you have a good few hundred in the bank account even if it is just one more month try to stick with it

as being pennyless on benefits is far more depressing then a boss monitoring you

even spin it into a mental joke if boss follows you around say to him 'while your standing there could you grab me a cuppa tea'

just do as much as you can today to reduce bills and then spend as many weeks as you can earning some savings

this might surprisingly give you the motivation you need to work that bit faster to keep manager off back for a few weeks while you gather extra rainy day savings

then when you cant take any more SIGN OFF SICK do not quit and sign onto jobseekers SIGN OFF SICK

while off sick housing benefit can help you and thats the time to assess finances and stress levels of the next direction to go

quiting instantly although you feel will alleviate the depression for me it did but it lasted 3 days as i then had to run around seting up benefits proving i quit under pressure blah blah and knowing i too had little to no money

plus you quiting is what they want so they won

stay in work for each day you stay there think you have beat them again and got a days wage out of them

spin each day into a game or a challenge and if you can get to the end of the day you earn a point try earning 30 points before jacking job in so you have a few hundred saved up

treat the meetings not as a negative thing treat it as a work break - coffee break do what you can to keep a positive mental attitude and beat them at their own game

dont make rash decisions as this is what they want

i personally jacked it in and now i wish if i just stuck with it for 2 more weeks i coulda saved 300 pound which woulda lasted me 10 weeks on current spending or even longer if used as a smaller weekly top up to benefits

• Confused 1

Excellent advice as papsmurf says. The hardest part is getting into that positive frame of mind but I'll give it my best shot.

Paid in full in March 07