Very high usage on mobile phone.

stash

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there wondering if anyone can help here please.

My dad, 65, has just been hit with a £400 bill on his mobile phone.

This is from someone who would normally struggle to run up a £10 bill!!!

I think the problem may have come about as he has just got a new phone, two weeks ago.

He has a new android touch phone which he can view emails on and use it to acces the internet.

I know that he has it connected via Wi Fi to the house broadband when he is there.

Trouble is i dont think he knew what applications were running on the phone.

He has just found out that he had used his data allowance on his phone. dont know what he has been doing but he hardly ever uses his phone. I'm waiting for him to get home so i can look at his pjone to check what has been using all this data.

He has had the phone two weeks and still struggles using it.

How can BT Mobile can charge him for this when he was unaware that the phone was connected to the internet or downloading data when he was unaware of it.

can anyone help on this matter????

Hi I have just found out some more about the problem.

Turns out this new phone he received from bt via the web has had an application on it that has been downloading 9meg of data every hour on the hour since he got the phone.

Anyway i'm waiting for him to return so we can sort this thing out.

He doesn't even know what this application has been doing!

the mystery continues...................

Repot it to the phone company, they can block the applicvation from dowloading at source.

I'm afraid that this is not going to be an option. A phone company would not be able to stop an application on a phone from being able to access a certain IP and being able to download data from it. That would be like asking a home broadband provider to restrict your computer from accessing a certain website at your request. There is simply no service in place to do this.

Stash, What network and tariff is your dad on? Does the tariff have any inclusive data with the package, or a monthly/daily data cap? What application was it that used this data?

I have a HTC Legend and SE X10 Mini Pro (also android phones). Here are the steps I'd take to stop this happening in the future.

On the legend:-

Go to the main screen

Press the "Menu" button

Go to "settings"

Go to "Wireless & Networks"

Scroll down and take the tick out of "Mobile network".

On the Sony Ericsson x10 mini pro:-

Press the "Menu" button

Go to "Settings"

go to "Wireless controls"

go to "Mobile network settings"

take the tick out of "data traffic" (and NEVER have the tick in "Data roaming"! if you think UK data charges are bad, abroad they are much much higher!)

Now my phones would only download using my WiFi. Hope that helps.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar